Increasing Calories But Still Losing Weight

Options

Replies

• DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    how often do you work out? exercise of any kind does burn calories--maybe not aerobically but they still go. that is why weight lifters eat up 3-4000+ calories at times in training. There is an entry for strength training what you should enter to mentally help you. Definitely eat more foods that are calorie dense but healthy--peanut butter, etc.
    Okay. Btw, I do work out. But I only run about 30 minutes once a week. The rest of the week I lift weights.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I do often feel satisfied. ESPECIALLY after my lunch. Do you have any good tips to adding in calories? I am thinking about adding in calories at dinner, do you know any simple additions that will get me closer to my goal but not over the top?

It sounds like your dinner choices are somewhat limited, since you're eating in the dining hall, so I'm not sure what to recommend specifically. If you want to add some healthy fat to your diet, nuts are a great choice. You can have them whole, or put some peanut butter on apple slices. You can also use an olive oil and vinegar dressing on your salads. Avocados are a great source of healthy fat, if you can work them in. I like using honey to add a few carbs when necessary (great with Greek yogurt, by the way).

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely try to work them in. The tough part is I am limiting calories to 200 at snacks so I don't want to have nuts as they instantly put me overboard. But they could definitely be a nice addition to lunches...

Is there any particular reason you are limiting your snacks to 200 cals? You have 500-700 additional calories now from what you were eating before. You could easily double one of your snacks to make up some of that difference.

I am portioning my calories out to my meals. I am aiming for something similar to:

Breakfast: 450-500
    Snack: 150-200
    Lunch: 550
    Dinner: 600
    "Dessert": 150-200
    Total is approximately 2100-2250

When your TDEE is 2300-2500. You will continue to lose weight.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I do often feel satisfied. ESPECIALLY after my lunch. Do you have any good tips to adding in calories? I am thinking about adding in calories at dinner, do you know any simple additions that will get me closer to my goal but not over the top?

It sounds like your dinner choices are somewhat limited, since you're eating in the dining hall, so I'm not sure what to recommend specifically. If you want to add some healthy fat to your diet, nuts are a great choice. You can have them whole, or put some peanut butter on apple slices. You can also use an olive oil and vinegar dressing on your salads. Avocados are a great source of healthy fat, if you can work them in. I like using honey to add a few carbs when necessary (great with Greek yogurt, by the way).

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely try to work them in. The tough part is I am limiting calories to 200 at snacks so I don't want to have nuts as they instantly put me overboard. But they could definitely be a nice addition to lunches...

Is there any particular reason you are limiting your snacks to 200 cals? You have 500-700 additional calories now from what you were eating before. You could easily double one of your snacks to make up some of that difference.

I am portioning my calories out to my meals. I am aiming for something similar to:

I'm trying not to rush it. I hear the TDEE can be inaccurate so I am slowly adding in calories. My nutritionist agrees with this approach.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'm still having trouble understanding how this is maintenance for you as a 19 year old male. I know, I know, everyone is different, but absent medical conditions, we usually fall in a fairly tight normal range...and myself, as a 42 year old male who works behind a desk am currently losing more than a pound a week while eating 2100 *net* calories on a temporary cut that is mercifully nearly completed as I am really looking forward to eating at (and beyond) my maintenance level of 2700 net calories for a while.
  • dpr73
    Options

I'm still having trouble understanding how this is maintenance for you as a 19 year old male. I know, I know, everyone is different, but absent medical conditions, we usually fall in a fairly tight normal range...and myself, as a 42 year old male who works behind a desk am currently losing more than a pound a week while eating 2100 *net* calories on a temporary cut that is mercifully nearly completed as I am really looking forward to eating at (and beyond) my maintenance level of 2700 net calories for a while.

I don't know genetics? At 1800 (logging very accurately until my dinners where i eyeball) I was only losing about 1.5lbs a week so I don't see how I'm going to eat up above 2500 at max.
  • deksgrl
    Options

I'm trying not to rush it. I hear the TDEE can be inaccurate so I am slowly adding in calories. My nutritionist agrees with this approach.

You proved yourself by saying you steadily lose 1 to 1.5 pounds per week while eating about 1800. This proves your TDEE ranges from 2300-2500. It's just basic math.
  • dpr73
    Options

You proved yourself by saying you steadily lose 1 to 1.5 pounds per week while eating about 1800. This proves your TDEE ranges from 2300-2500. It's just basic math.

Well actually, averaged out, I lost 1.5lbs with an average of about 1670 this week (I had a weird weekend). So I am just being cautious with my intake and slowly seeing what works. I'm sure I'll be increasing 200 calories shortly, which will probably go on my snacks.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Its all trial and error, dont be scared, enjoy yourself!
  • dpr73
    Options
    So I am increasing again this week to ~2200 calories. What I am eating feels like SO much food, but I am measuring out everything. I can't seem to wrap my head around this much food being only 2200 calories. Can someone calm my nerves on this? It feels like a lot.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    So I am increasing again this week to ~2200 calories. What I am eating feels like SO much food, but I am measuring out everything. I can't seem to wrap my head around this much food being only 2200 calories. Can someone calm my nerves on this? It feels like a lot.

It's not a lot for you, your numbers bear that out. Don't be afraid to go for more calorie dense foods.
  • dpr73
    Options

It's not a lot for you, your numbers bear that out. Don't be afraid to go for more calorie dense foods.

Okay. It just seems to me like I am eating so much food. I just had my mid-afternoon snack (1 banana, 1tbsp peanut butter, and chobani yogurt) and I feel like I binged hard. I guess it will take some getting used to first.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

You'll get over it. My dinner and dessert tonight is around 3000 calories by itself. I used to think that was a lot too.
  • dpr73
    Options
    Okay. I think the food feeling a lot is what is holding me back from adding more. I certainly feel satisfied with the quantity. I just like the higher protein foods and veggies/fruits more than the fats, as odd as it sounds.
  • DiKoehler
    Options
    you have been dieting and restricting yourself to lose weight so everything looks like a lot more. things like the trail mix packets are nice as they are more nutrient and calorie dense but not real filling--around 230 cal. nice snack that you can even add a yogurt to complete the snack. Now you are up to nearly 300 and not so full. It is scary to start eating more as you stabilize but you'll do well.

Okay. It just seems to me like I am eating so much food. I just had my mid-afternoon snack (1 banana, 1tbsp peanut butter, and chobani yogurt) and I feel like I binged hard. I guess it will take some getting used to first.
  • DiKoehler
    Options
    a binge by the way was us having a whole plate of desserts at the potluck last night and extra bread. I was up all of .5 lb/ hubby 1.8lb. Bet most of that is just water weight over night and will be gone in a couple of days.
  • dpr73
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Exactly, I feel like I am going to start gaining by increasing from an average of 1940 calories last week to ~2200 this week. Its a pretty irrational fear, I know, but I just need to get used to the maintaining lifestyle. I never thought that this would be the hardest part of the weight loss but it absolutely is.
    you have been dieting and restricting yourself to lose weight so everything looks like a lot more. things like the trail mix packets are nice as they are more nutrient and calorie dense but not real filling--around 230 cal. nice snack that you can even add a yogurt to complete the snack. Now you are up to nearly 300 and not so full. It is scary to start eating more as you stabilize but you'll do well.

• deksgrl
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Exactly, I feel like I am going to start gaining by increasing from an average of 1940 calories last week to ~2200 this week. Its a pretty irrational fear, I know, but I just need to get used to the maintaining lifestyle. I never thought that this would be the hardest part of the weight loss but it absolutely is.

But you were continuing to lose, which is not a desirable result at this point in time, in fact you are likely going to have to gain a bit to get back over into a healthy range. So you have plenty of leeway there.
  • dpr73
    Options

But you were continuing to lose, which is not a desirable result at this point in time, in fact you are likely going to have to gain a bit to get back over into a healthy range. So you have plenty of leeway there.

Well on the BMI i am considered healthy and I like the way I look. So as of right now I dont want to gain anything. I am so sick of an unstable weight I just want to get my weight under control so it's not falling and maybe after some time I will consider gaining some weight back. But currently I just want to really ENTER maintenance and keep my weight.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    You still have leeway, since maintenance is going to be a range of up to 2500.
  • dpr73
    Options
    You still have leeway, since maintenance is going to be a range of up to 2500.

I am beginning to believe that seeing as I just saw on the scale a drop that would indicate (mathematically) about 2500. I guess I might actually be logging correctly in MFP even when I estimate I just didn't think I was THAT good at estimating my portions. My nutritionist wants me to hit an average of 2100-2200 this week and see where we are.