Trouble with raw spinach/salads?

Options
2»

Replies

• SarahJaneEmmott
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I ate a HUGE spinach salad for lunch and I am dying of nausea, bloating and stomach upset. I hope it's the salad and not something else. I haven't eaten spinach in forever so now I am confident I need to ease up next time!
  • Stacy_Merrell
    Stacy_Merrell Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same issue; only mine is coming from putting it in my green smoothies I have for breakfast. The symptom you describe is the same. I was wondering if it was the combination of the spinach and fruit. Hope others can provide us some insight.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I love bananas, but when I got into my 20's I began to have horrible reflux after eating them. To this day there is not enough Nexium on the planet to save me if I eat beyond 1 small bite of banana. So unfair.
  • devoniott
    devoniott Posts: 1
    Options
    this happens to me too! and it also happens with avocado, which is such a tragedy [no guacamole!!!!]. it didn't start until i was in my 20's. every so often i try it again to see if my body hasn't gotten over it, but sadly, no.

cooked spinach seems to be mostly ok though, so maybe cooking it breaks down whatever causes the stomach pain.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I say try different dressings before cutting out spinach! Vinegarette dressings, like both of the ones you mentioned, tend to do the same thing to my stomach. So maybe try a light ranch, honey mustard, something not vinegar based?
  • strawberrytech
    Options
    Count me in! I have a hard time with spinach but nothing else that I know of as well, only noticed it within the last six years or so. It is a major bummer because I love salads! I avoid the mixed greens now which is a bummer, unless I make it myself and know there is not any spinach in it. I love romaine more than ever now!!

Like someone mentioned above though when I cook it I have no problem...so I can still get my occasional swimming rama at least :)
  • snaglpus
    Options
    ok.....I figured out my problem. It's the raw spinach. I just started adding it 2 days a go and that is it. DARN! Oh well! Nothing taste as good as being healthy!
  • snaglpus
    Options
    ok.....I figured out my problem. It's the raw spinach. I just started adding it 2 days a go and that is it. DARN! Oh well! Nothing taste as good as being healthy!