how rot reach 30% fat per day

Options
Hi,
I have a general question: How do you meet the required amount of fat per-day without eating bad?
My recommended level is 30%, and I have about 18% or so per day. I also guess that is why I get hungry sometimes because I keep reading the eating fat helps in suppressing hunger.

What kind of foods do you include in your meal to get that kind of fat that are not very calorie-rich?
Thanks!

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Fat is 9 calories per gram. It is not the enemy. Avocados . Nuts . Nut butters. Cheese.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    eggs
  • MrCitrus
    MrCitrus Posts: 1
    Options
    You can turn to nuts and avocado. But health and fat and protein rich. - C.S.C.C Drew
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Nuts, egg, and avocado.

I struggle to not exceed my goal daily and these are basically my only three sources of fat in a normal day.
  • meglizbo
    meglizbo Posts: 42
    Options
    So here's the deal. Fat calories tend to add up quickly compared to protein and carbs (1g fat= 9 calories, vs 1g protein/carbs= 4) so you could have a problem with low calorie fats...in fact, it's not possible to have a low calorie fat, it's literally the point of fat.

With that said, half a tablespoon of butter can be added to your veggies, is only about 50 calories and will help you get your percentages up! You can add more or less depending on how much you need. Because it is so dense a little goes a long way
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Since your diary is closed, I don't know if you are eating/drinking low-fat products, but if you are, don't. Drink whole (or at least 2% milk) instead of skim. Eat full fat cheese, cottage cheese and/or yogurt. Of course, nuts, avocados, peanut butter are other "go to" sources of beneficial fats.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I get my healthy fats like how some of the others have posted on this thread from eggs, cheese, nuts, nut butters , avocado and cooking oils like Olive Oil and Canola Oil, but these really aren't that low in calories ( eggs and reduced fat cheese aren't that bad calorie wise or like 8 almonds or a tablespoon of nut butter ( I love almond butter). If you are looking at being able to be kept fuller longer also look at your protein and fiber intake and drink lots of water.
  • drocknoel
    drocknoel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Using olive oil (or other polyunsaturated fats like grapeseed) in a vinaigrette for salads or even sauteing your food in something like coconut oil (high in saturated fat, but still pretty good for you!).

Just remember, your body needs fat just like it needs carbs and protein! Fat is what oils everything in your body, from your joints to your brain!
  • mojgan12345
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)
    My apologies for the typo in the title!

For future people who read this:

Eggs
    Avocado
    Yogurt
    Cheese
    Whole Milk instead of non-fat
    Nuts
    Nut-butter
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I get my healthy fats like how some of the others have posted on this thread from eggs, cheese, nuts, nut butters , avocado and cooking oils like Olive Oil and Canola Oil, but these really aren't that low in calories ( eggs and reduced fat cheese aren't that bad calorie wise or like 8 almonds or a tablespoon of nut butter ( I love almond butter). If you are looking at being able to be kept fuller longer also look at your protein and fiber intake and drink lots of water.
    '

My "go to" breakfast of 1cup cottage cheese w/ 3/4cup mixed berries has 24gr protein, 11gr fat and 30gr carb for 300 calories. That's a good 30/30/40 split.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to have 30% of your calories from fat. That sounds like the default setting - which might be fine for you. I'm not sure what your fitness goals are, but you can change your macro-nutrient distributions, if you'd like. For example, I have a family history of cardiovascular disease on both sides of my family, so I choose to limite the amount of fat in my diet. Currently, my macros are set at 50% carb, 25% protein, 25% fat.

I love nuts and, boy, on the days I eat some almonds or the like I have NO problem reaching that 25% goal! I worry more about (and track in my diary) saturated fats and do my best not to exceed that limit.

Best of luck to you. The previous posters have already given you some great ideas about healthy-fat foods. I would say if you choose to use butter, know what kind of butter and how many saturated fats are in it. Try the butter spreads you can get with Canola or Olive oil. I use the Butter/Canola mix myself as I don't always want the stronger olive oil taste.

Best of luck!