GYM FOR 4 WEEKS => RESULT i PUT ON WEIGHT :(

Options
Hi,

I enrolled the gym one month ago; I have been going to the gym 4 times a week (minus one week which I managed to go twice). 3 times I do some cardio + weight machines and once a week i do Pilates.

I weight myself before enrolling and after a month and I have put on almost 2 kilos!!!!!

Any tips of what I might be doing wrong? I didn't increase the food or anything... I wasn't taking less cal than necessary though as I thought starting to exercise i would keep normal calories first until i get the habit.

:( very sad :(

Replies

• TonyPillz
    TonyPillz Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Providing your eating a nice healthy diet , its water weight or muscle.

But it takes a long time to build muscle and that also depends on how hard you have been working.

Stop the panic.
  • z726beth
    z726beth Posts: 2
    Options
    My experience is that you shouldn't expect to lose weight unless you are doing both diet and exercise. I had the opposite problem (cut back on food but no exercise) with the same result, that I lost no weight. Most people have to do both. Yup, I'm sure there are stories on here of people who only did only one or the other and lost weight, but I think most people have to do both. Congratulate yourself for starting the exercise and move on.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    No ideas, as your diary's private.

You could be eating more than you think (if you're not logging everything meticulously) as more exercise would make you hungrier. If you're eating back your exercise calories, MFP estimations may be a bit high for you - have a jiggle with them. Or you're still holding on to water, for repair.

Make sure you are definitely in a calorie deficit if you're looking to lose and it'll come good eventually.

(You're not gaining muscle weight unless trying to intentionally by eating at surplus).
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    80% Diet 20% Exercise.

Unless you're logging your food there's not much other input we can make. Weight loss is really hard work.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    You ever considered that it could be muscle ?
  • twilatillman
    twilatillman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I read that when we exercise our muscles retain water. I use to think muscle buildup until I read that article. Muscles do buildup but it takes a while for that to happen. Hang in there you will see results. You might not see the scales move. Do your measurements. That seems to be the first thing people see a change in when starting an exercise program.
  • oxsarahhxo
    Options
    you probably look much hotter rn..

don/t sweat it; put health before weight loss.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You ever considered that it could be muscle ?

You can gain muscle, at deficit, granted (ifyou're new to resistance training). However, you cannot gain muscle weight, at deficit, that's pretty basic physics.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I enrolled the gym one month ago; I have been going to the gym 4 times a week (minus one week which I managed to go twice). 3 times I do some cardio + weight machines and once a week i do Pilates.

I weight myself before enrolling and after a month and I have put on almost 2 kilos!!!!!

Any tips of what I might be doing wrong? I didn't increase the food or anything... I wasn't taking less cal than necessary though as I thought starting to exercise i would keep normal calories first until i get the habit.

I keep seeing these kind of posts. It is very easily possible to exercise too much. Exercise needs to be very light or the body goes into a kind of preservation mode. Exercise is more of a long-term addition to your routine, but it won't - and will often hurt - dieting efforts in the short-term. I'd cut way back on exercise. I have no idea why this isn't more emphasized, but it is true. Your body will take off the weight if it isn't taxed too much.
  • sp1nn3r86
    sp1nn3r86 Posts: 15
    Options
    Have a look at what your eating. In order to lose weight u need to be in deficit. Make sure u have mfp set up to lose your required weight (I have mine set to lose 1kg a week). And always log efficiently otherwise the only person u are lying to or cheating is yourself. Be true about portion size and some of the added nasties that can make a low cal meal quite high (eg: full fat mayo, cheese, potatoes, non diet soft drinks etc)

At the moment, I've been tracking for 16 days and have lost 4.7kg - every day being under my daily intake apart from the first day.

Basically at the end of the day, for me, eating less calories and walking my dog 40 mins a day 4/5 days a week has worked wonders.
  • PRguez
    PRguez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I assure you it is not muscle :) o can see my abs are still underneath a layer of fat (I used to be quite fit). I haven't done diet meaning didn't cut my calories to go into deficit but I was quite good eating properly with the occasional treat.

But thanks I will stop panic and take action.

But it is not fair that i have put on weight , all i will say to my body is 'Dear fat, prepare to die. X'
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    It is most likely your diet. Are you writing and measuring your food accurately and maintaining a deficit?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    80% Diet 20% Exercise.

Unless you're logging your food there's not much other input we can make. Weight loss is really hard work.

This!!!
  • PRguez
    Options
    arguablysamso:

I do agree with you. I know over exercising is not good. The reason I go 4 times a week to the gym and try to do a lot is because I have started working from home for a couple of months, meaning i don't move at all. I don't walk/do the every day commuting I used to be (I can't count going from my bedroom to my living room as commuting :p ) so i thought i am not over training as I am not moving the rest of the day (I work 9 hours).

And somebody said my diary is private -> didn't know that, I will change it to public, However I started it yesterday as per suggestions of I might be eating more than I think & I shall go into deficit for a bit, see how this last is going as I am not a friend of deficit cal as I put health first, even if it means slower progress. But just my personal opinion and not saying anything against it.

xxx
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Most people gain weight at the start of a new exercise program. The body holds on to glycogen & water. It'll drop away if you persevere. As a general rule of thumb the body normally needs about 6wks to catch up with itself when you introduce something new.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing these kind of posts. It is very easily possible to exercise too much. Exercise needs to be very light or the body goes into a kind of preservation mode. Exercise is more of a long-term addition to your routine, but it won't - and will often hurt - dieting efforts in the short-term. I'd cut way back on exercise. I have no idea why this isn't more emphasized, but it is true. Your body will take off the weight if it isn't taxed too much.

No offence, as I can see that you've been extremely successful with your own weight loss, but do you have any evidence to back up the above statement? I don't think I've ever seen it said elsewhere that exercise will keep you from losing weight.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Hi,

uh?

She isn't exercising too much. Lol

and I ran on treadmill 5 days a week for 45mins and dropped weight quickly when I begin.

You have to be at a calorie deficit to lose weight, period. No getting around that.

Exercising can cause your appetite to go up so you might want to track calories.

They are so many people on here that exercise 6, 7 days a week and lose.

I do not understand your advice. Lol
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I will say she didn't say how long she exercises but to say go lightly is laughable.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If your goal is to lose weight.
    Then you need to get your diet in check first.
    Because ultimately your weight gain or loss will come down to how much you eat.

Working out and lifting weights, will just help you look sexy when you do drop the weight. :wink:
  • PRguez
    Options
    Hi,

uh?

She isn't exercising too much. Lol

and I ran on treadmill 5 days a week for 45mins and dropped weight quickly when I begin.

You have to be at a calorie deficit to lose weight, period. No getting around that.

Exercising can cause your appetite to go up so you might want to track calories.

They are so many people on here that exercise 6, 7 days a week and lose.

I do not understand your advice. Lol

hi,

i really heard from fitness people that to over train is not good. But I also consider I am not overtraining as I work from home so I kinda not moving for most of the day; the gym is my relief to this.
    I usually do around 40 min of cardio and then go for the weights machines 3 times a week plus 1 one a week i go to pilates.
    So not, i am not overdoing it.

thanks for your post, it clarifies this point o me not over doing.

So i guess i might have been eating more than i should & retaining water.

xxx