Party food ideas for toddlers

Options
chatnel
chatnel Posts: 688 Member
Hi all you parents out there, wanting suggestions on what to serve at a 3 year old's birthday party. Not want to pile them with sugar so healthy options would be appreciated.

cheers

Replies

• MrsPaulSmith
    MrsPaulSmith Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Rainbow fruit kebabs.
  • dinojay28
    dinojay28 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I recently made pinwheels for a get together whole wheat wraps turkey cheese romaine and an artichoke spread they all devoured them!
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options

keep them coming
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Pineapple, popcorn, jello cups, banana pudding, apple slices with dip
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    humus with assorted veggies and pita bread is always good and fruit plates. Maybe fish fingers with sauces, or chicken bites? This is making me hungry!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Mini taters
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Tater tots!

imgres4.jpeg
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    French fries!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Pizza, chocolate cake, and ice cream. Maybe add some candy for the pinata and juice boxes.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It's a 3-year-old's birthday party. It's the one day a year that a kid looks forward to eating all the cake, ice cream, candy, and juice their little stomachs can hold.

Have a fruit tray and some veggies and dip set aside for the parents, but don't disappoint a little kid on his or her birthday.
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Taking cake away from a kid's birthday party... who does that? Even Nazis let children have cake :/
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    To make it fun and healthy try fruit pizza.... take a Pilsbury pizza crust and but a sweet cream cheese mix (I know so far not so healthy) then add sliced kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, mandarin oranges..... any fun fruit you want. It's great and the kids LOVE it.
  • rslcarson
    rslcarson Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just thought of this the other day and can't wait to make them up for the next party...

Little cocktail sticks with 1/2 grapes, 1/2 strawberries, little pineapple chunks etc and melt some chocolate, put in a piping bag, snip the end off and pipe a little squiggle of chocolate over the fruit!

I know my children love picking up little foods on sticks.
  • rslcarson
    rslcarson Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Taking cake away from a kid's birthday party... who does that? Even Nazis let children have cake :/

Who said taking the cake away?

Cake is fine, but a complete overload of sweets, traybakes, niceties and a party bag home will surely make any toddler boke. My own children have came home and pukked over the floor from eating everything in sight so a few healthy alternatives along side the birthday cake cannot be a big problem.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Sandwich squares: turkey/cheese are probably the best bet (in case you have kids with peanut allergies). I also make Sunbutter sandwiches for my 3 year old (with a peanut allergy). Maybe even small pizzas made on english muffins.

I'd avoid hotdogs, popcorn, nuts, carrots, grapes, probably even chips and pretzels. These can be choking hazards. I feed my own kid these foods, but I wouldn't feed them to other kids. I don't want anyone choking at my house.

Fruit is a good way to go. Watermelon, pineapple, even raisins are probably fine. You could also make mini-muffins. I know my kids love mini banana muffins.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Get a bag of the smaller russet potatoes and bake them up. Have a make your own baked potato bar. Kids LOVE baked potatoes. Especially if they can add all the fixins themselves.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Dinner rolls with colored whipped cream "frosting"
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    As someone above said, mini muffins are always a hit. For fruits or veggies, I would put them in individual plastic cups so everyone can have their own and there aren't sticky fingers on everything :) Slider sandwiches are also good-I made some with cheese, turkey and ranch that were a huge hit. I also have made mac and cheese and then baked it in a mini muffin tin so there were individual servings. Pirate's booty is always a big hit too.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    What about a piñata?

69bfc200e0462e1cda73e03a526f917b.jpg
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My son (who is almost 5) loves fruits and veg esp watermelon and cucumber.
    I'd also include those Goldfish crackers, baked chips and you can either do a big pizza cut up or mini ones.

You can also get the small water bottles with characters on them and healthier juice boxes for drinks.

Include a few not so healthy options to and some more filling foods for the adults.

ETA : my son has sensory issues so I know he won't eat foods that are mixed or have unfamiliar (like burgers or potatoes with toppings) but that is just our house! There are some great suggestions here