A question to all Brides or brides to be

Options
Ok so we have a tenative date of sept 10, 2011 for our wedding. When is the LATEST I should go dress shopping?? I really want my mom to be able to go with me BUT she lives 1200 miles away and cant make the trip until June.... Is it OK to wait that long or should I go before that? I still want to lose about 30 lbs BEFORE I go shopping because I have a few dresses picked out from www.davidsbridal.com but I know that seeing them on the weight I am at the moment will not impress me and I dont want to count them out because of that.... Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Brooke

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you're getting your dress. If your going to a place like David's Bridal, June is still plenty of time to find a dress and have altered if necessary. If you're going with a boutique or specific designer, they may need more time so you should check with them.
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I found quite a few I really like from Davids Bridal and that is where I plan to go looking.
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We were shopping for dresses for my friends wedding about a month ago and the owner of the bridal store we were at said that they are anticipating a textile strike early in the new year so to order in December at the latest for a wedding on the same date as yours. I dont know what kind of truth there is behind that but when I was shopping for my dress the standard was 6-8 months prior to your wedding. I ordered 8 months prior and got mine with 3 weeks to spare (I thought it was cutting it a little close!) The sooner the better I think!
  • wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options
    I got mine at David's Bridal, and it typically takes about 2 - 3 months for them to order the dress in (Bought mine on Black Friday, and it's expected ship date is in late January). However, if you need any alterations, you'll want to get it a little sooner because alterations take time. I'd order it earlier than later, just so you don't have that stress hanging over your head, probably probably around May or June. If you're going anywhere else (where they custom make it to fit you), you need to give them at least 6 months! As long as you stay on track, you'll totally make your goal of 30 lbs lost by May!
  • butterfly007
    butterfly007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on where you get your dress, and what kind of dress you get. Like I got a couture dress, and I ordered it in September and it won't come in until Mid to late March, and my wedding is in June. I was looking for bridesmaid dresses and they a couple of weeks ago, and they said they are backed up and we should order them no later than January. So it really does just depend! I do understand waiting for your mother:)
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There should be at least one or two fittings before the wedding, so you'll be able to see the progress working toward the dress you really want.
    Also, c'mon no one is looking at the size of the dress on your wedding day....if you were shooting for a size 6 and you end of with a size 8 that flatters your figure....it's all good!
  • MsCyone
    MsCyone Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thats a good question, my wedding is toward the end of October , so since I still want to drop another 50 lbs. I was waiting until about August to get my dress and then have any alterations done that I need. I live in a small town so alterations are done fairly quickly.
  • brooke0206
    Options
    There should be at least one or two fittings before the wedding, so you'll be able to see the progress working toward the dress you really want.
    Also, c'mon no one is looking at the size of the dress on your wedding day....if you were shooting for a size 6 and you end of with a size 8 that flatters your figure....it's all good!

Its not the actual dress size that I am worried about its the way the dress looks.... I will post a link of my favorite so far....

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Taffeta-A-line-with-Beaded-Lace-Bust-V9458_Bridal-Gowns-Features-Designer-Gowns-Davids-Bridal-Collection

I just feel like if I dont lose some more weight its not going to fit right and im not going to like the way it look for that reason, not because the dress isnt gorgeous....
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    it looks great!
  • brooke0206
    Options
    Ya it looks great on that super skinny model hahaha. I know I wont be THAT thin but if I can lose another 30 lbs that woud put me down to 165 and I would be way more comfortable trying this dress on. A the dresses I have picked out so far are the same type of fit so we will see....
  • butterfly007
    butterfly007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, I had the same type of dresses picked out when I went dress shopping, and when I finally got my dress, it was completely different than any of the dresses I picked out! I couldn't believe, so don' t get to caught up with how the dresses look, because when you actually try them on you might not like it as much as you thought, and on that note try on things that you wouldn't normally try on, because sometime those end up being the dresses that are the best!:) Good Luck, and I hope whenever you do go to pick out your dress you have a fabulous time!
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    I'm getting married in April and bought my dress last month :) but i don't have to have it altered much and its not really a traditional wedding dress.

My friend bought her dress almost a year in advance when she got married last year.