Challenge Group (new members welcome)

Options
This thread is one in which a new fitness and dietary challenge is posted each week. We also post our weigh-in numbers for the week on Monday (when the challenges actually start). We all did good last week so let's keep the momentum going! :drinker:

Here are the challenges/format to post for this week: (ANY one can join in at ANY time!)
_________________________________________________________________________________________

FITNESS CHALLENGE:
Try a new workout. If you don't run, run! If you've never been spinning, go! Pick something you haven't done (or haven't done in a while) and do it!

DIETARY CHALLENGE:
Eat (at least) 5 servings of fruits/vegetables daily. Aim for 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the format to post your updates and track your progress: (can be posted daily, weekly, whenever!)

MON - F/V: ##
TUE - F/V: ##
WED - F/V: ##
THU - F/V: ##
FRI - F/V: ##
SAT - F/V: ##
SUN - F/V: ##

Days eating 5 F/Vs: #/7
New Workout:

Replies

• mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    See you all for weigh-in tomorrow!
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Count me in!
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I wouldlike to join
    I need some extra motivation

I am a 31 year old female truck driver and I am tring to watch what I eat and get as much exercise that I can while out on the road. I am looking for challanges and people to help keep me motivated

Has anyone ever tried V8 splash or V fusion I am wondering how they taste I think it will be a good way to get my veggies in
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    STARTING WEIGHT: 199.6
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 190.4
    WEEK 1: Goal: 197.6, Actual: 193
    WEEK 2 Goal: 191, Actual: 192.6
    WEEK 3 Goal: 190.6, Actual: 190.4
    WEEK 4 Goal: 190.4, Actual:

Just aiming to maintain with the holiday next week, any loss on top of that will be gravy.
  • mszSHOGAN
    Options
    STARTING WEIGHT: 172
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 172
    WEEK 1: Goal: 170, Actual: 171
    WEEK 2: Goal: 170, Actual: 173
    WEEK 3: Goal: 171, Actual: 172
    WEEK 4: Goal: 171

Hard week ahead with Christmas, good luck to all of you!

smadag - The V8 fusions are pretty good (in my opinion), good idea for the challenge. Maybe I'll have to grab a bottle in case I'm running low one day! :tongue:
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I have tried one of the V8 drinks before but I think it was one of the smoothy drinks and I didn't care for it but I am going to try one of the new ones and see if I like it better

SW 175
    CW175 (I think it has been a while since I have stepped on a scale
    GW 145 ish
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    SW: 301 lbs

Today's weigh-in: 294.8lbs

MON - F/V: ##

Days eating 5 F/Vs: #/7
    New Workout:
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I didn't do as well as I wanted to last week but here we go!

Bump!
  • shannonreeves11
    Options
    How do you join?
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I'd like to join you next week if you are still doing this. I've been having issues with exercising, eating well and weighing in timely because my son had surgery and is in a major recovery phase. I'm hoping next week to be more back on track! Smadag, I have a great smoothie recipe using V8 fusion. Take 8 oz. V8, 1 banana, 1 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt and blend together. It's awesome but there is some sugar in it from all the fruit so that might be an issue for some folks but it's a great way to get some veggie and fruit servings in. (My incredibly picky son loves these!)
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    STARTING WEIGHT: 190.9
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 187.8
    WEEK 1: n/a
    WEEK 2: n/a
    WEEK 3 Goal: 188.9, Actual: 187.8 (-3.1)
    WEEK 4 Goal: 185.8, Actual:

For the challenge this week, I think I'll try to take a Yoga class and/or a Turbo Kick class. As far as the fruits/veggies challenge, I can get the 2 fruits in easy. However, I'm not great with veggies. Can someone please give me some tips for tasty ways to prepare veggies? Also, is a serving of veggies considered 1 cup? Thanks for the suggestions and help!
  • CGerman
    Options
    For the challenge this week, I think I'll try to take a Yoga class and/or a Turbo Kick class. As far as the fruits/veggies challenge, I can get the 2 fruits in easy. However, I'm not great with veggies. Can someone please give me some tips for tasty ways to prepare veggies? Also, is a serving of veggies considered 1 cup? Thanks for the suggestions and help!

I've found garlic sauteed veggies are the easiest for me to get in - I've never been a huge veggie lover. Also boiling broccoli in chicken stock makes it really tasty! If all else fails you could just add a small salad to dinner, top with tomatoes and cucumbers and you've got a great veggie dish.
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    STARTING WEIGHT: 214
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 210.4
    WEEK 1: n/a
    WEEK 2: n/a
    WEEK 3 Start: 214 Goal: 212 Actual: 210.4 (-3.6)
    WEEK 4 Start:210.4 Goal: 208.4 Actual:

MON - F/V: 4 (2 F/3 V) <-Guestimating on servings.... I had a banana, fruit bowl, and a giant salad which combined with all the veggies in my breakfast burrito I'm counting it as 3.....

Days eating 5 F/Vs: 1/7

New Workout: There is this weird machine at the gym I see people use it has two pedals that you seem to use like a stair stepper.....I don't know what it is but I'm going to try it out when I'm there next.
  • achbarrow
    Options
    Just aiming to maintain with the holiday next week, any loss on top of that will be gravy.

I'm hoping for a loss but I'm with you, if I can maintain this week into the next I'll be super happy. What sucks is my gym in a university gym so it's closed from the 24th-1st so I don't know what I'm going to do. The weather has not been really great for outdoor exercise so we shall see how it goes.
  • CGerman
    Options

I'm hoping for a loss but I'm with you, if I can maintain this week into the next I'll be super happy. What sucks is my gym in a university gym so it's closed from the 24th-1st so I don't know what I'm going to do. The weather has not been really great for outdoor exercise so we shall see how it goes.

That sucks! Maybe find an inside stairwell you could go up and down for a quick workout that really burns the calories?
  • crosscreekspain
    Options
    One easy veggies for me. is collard greens or spinach.. don't groan...

I take a Tbspn of olive oil
    mince 1/2 an onion
    1 clove of garlic crushed
    one bag of frozen or fresh- collard greens OR spinach.. and saute..
    add salt and pepper to taste...

It is a lebanese way of making spinach...
  • achbarrow
    Options

That sucks! Maybe find an inside stairwell you could go up and down for a quick workout that really burns the calories?

Thanks! I work at a hotel and we have a service stairwell that goes up to the 3rd floor. This could definitely work! ....I also just realized that we have a fitness room....It's tiny but I can sneak in a use the treadmill...Silly me. I shall miss my Elliptical and upright bike but I shall endure!!!
  • achbarrow
    Options
    MON - F/V: 3 (2 F/1 V) <-Guestimating on servings.... I had a banana, fruit bowl, and a giant salad which combined with all the veggies in my breakfast burrito I'm counting it as 3.....**Amendment: My salad went bad and alas I have nothing else to munch on veggie wise so I am back down to 3

Days eating 5 F/Vs: 0/7
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    MON - F/V: 2/0 ~ Bad day for veggies. I was planning on having a big salad for dinner to get my veggies in but I got home late from the gym and didnt feel like preparing everything. I'll do better tomorrow

Days eating 5 F/Vs: 0/7
    New Workout: Will be trying out a Turbo Kick class on Thursday.

CGerman and crosscreekspain: Thanks for the Veggie advice!
  • mszSHOGAN
    Options
    MON - F/V: 6

Days eating 5 F/Vs: 1/7
    New Workout: Spinning! (Well it’s technically an “old” workout for me but I haven’t gone in forever!)

Someone asked how to join in -- just jump right on in! Challenges are at the top of the thread and the format to post in. Good luck to you!

Here's some tips on serving sizes:
    Fruits
    •1 piece of fruit (the size of a tennis ball)
    •1/2 cup cut up fruit, raw, cooked, frozen, or canned (looks like 7 cotton balls)
    •1/4 cup dried fruit
    •3/4 cup 100% fruit juice

Veggies
    •1/2 cup cut up veggie, raw, cooked, frozen, or canned (looks like the bulb part of a light bulb)
    •1/2 cup cooked, canned or frozen legumes
    •1 cup leafy greens
    •3/4 cup 100% vegetable juice