UK Vegetable recommendations now 7 servings daily

Options
124»

Replies

• KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is a bad joke. Most people are struggling to get food on the table at all and they come out with this just to rub salt in the wound. Potatoes, canned and frozen veg and fruit isn't included and we have no hope of being able to afford that much fresh food for the 7 of us. I'll just keep doing the best I can for my family.

Why do you think canned and frozen veg aren't included? Frozen peas are much higher in vitamins than fresh. Mostly fresh is better than canned but it all counts.
  • FlexinHenrique94
    Options
    So... are they trying to make you a vegetarian or something? Lol
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Well, wine is basically just grapes!

Cool, I'll just up the wine then :laugh:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I eat only two meals a day. I don't see how I can fit in 7 servings of anything a day!
  • HoneydewLouu
    HoneydewLouu Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Meh the more the better in my opinion!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Ugh vegetables are effort.
  • HoneydewLouu
    HoneydewLouu Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Since I've been sticking within the "green" with my MFP nutrition values, my intake of fruit has decreased because of my sugar allowance :(
    I guess make up on veg.

The sugar allowance on MFP is ridiculous! I just ignore it, naturally occurring sugars found in fruits and whole foods aren't gunna make you obese. I'd worry about other stuff if I were you!
  • Fitnursejo
    Options
    Probably because most people dont get 5 a day, more like 2-3. So if you have a recommendation of 7, then you would be more inclined to get about 4-5 as you think you are getting 7.

Unrealistic target though. Who is actually going to adhere to these guidelines?

Is it just veggies or fruit and veggies?! I think this is great! It's always good to set goals high. The truth is most don't even get 1 good serving a day!!!
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Yes the target was in fact to generally improve intake of "healthy" foods, fruit in syrup has the same nutrient intake as the fruit in water (but the added sugar is "hidden" and unnecessary)
    who said said it was ever logical? :)

I'm guessing it was meant to be a simple and easily applicable recommendation for a general population which in the main has little idea of the amount of calories they are consuming or their nutrient intake with any degree of certainty. Avoiding syrup simply means you will probably get a similar nutrient intake for less calories.

I see it's a study out of UCL. Knowing UCL students as well as I do I have no doubt however that this is an ultra liberal covert agenda to erode liberty and the fabric of society by increased fruit consumption. Bananas are clearly weapons of mass destruction.

BWHAHAGA. That's amazing
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I actually rather welcomed this news- all it takes is some research/ imagination. And for me, while I'm trying to lose a few pounds this is an encouragement of sorts.

A lot of the meals I'm eating look similar to the way they always did. Just instead of fries/ chips there'll be carrots or sweetcorn, maybe I'll try sweet potato mash instead of regular white potatoes. Soups went from creamy chicken to chicken and lentil and so on... same volumes but vegetables are generally lower calorie than bread/ cheese/ whatever else I was filling up on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sponsored by the union of green grocers association?
    ^^^This

Yeah that makes it totally legit, lol.

But yeah, I probably don't get my 5 servings a day as it is.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    This makes sense. I just read a study that the healthiest diets obtain half their calories from vegetables and 1,000 calories from vegetables is definitely more than 5 servings! I really want to focus on incorporating more vegetables into my diet now and I think this is a good way for everyone to have such a goal.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    the vegan chilli I make have easy 5 portions in one serving :) its not a hard target to meet when you actually look at what you can make with the different veggies/ fruit
  • RussT1
    RussT1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Since I've been sticking within the "green" with my MFP nutrition values, my intake of fruit has decreased because of my sugar allowance :(
    I guess make up on veg.

The sugar allowance on MFP is ridiculous! I just ignore it, naturally occurring sugars found in fruits and whole foods aren't gunna make you obese. I'd worry about other stuff if I were you!

Thank you for the feedback. It occurs to me to perhaps edit fruit values in that case, taking out the sugar element. That way, it'll be only processed sugar that adds up.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I guess make up on veg.

Thank you for the feedback. It occurs to me to perhaps edit fruit values in that case, taking out the sugar element. That way, it'll be only processed sugar that adds up.
    Processed sugar huh? So would that be sucrose or fructose?