Potatoes/pasta/bread

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    So....whats the problem with potatoes/pasta/bread?

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with all of them but I have tried to switch out a few things to get vitamins/ nutrition or reduce calories.

potatoes are very dense nutritionally speaking.

You know, the OP just wants some suggestions, not someone challenging their dietary choice. This forum considers it rude when a vegan OP just wants some vegan suggestions and gets a lot of 'Just eat meat" posts - so lets have the same courtesy for those trying other nutrition approaches.

But to give a good response you need to understand the reason why the OP wants to try something.

Turns out she wants healthier alternatives and she's listed 3 good healthy carb sources. So personally i think it's worth sharing that she doesn't need to restrict her diet unnecessarily .

This is what i was getting at
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You can also try oatmeal.

Wut?

How does oatmeal replace potatoes?

Srsly?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

I am looking to try cut down on potatoes bread pasta foods so was just wondering what would be a good replacement?

Thanks x

What about having them but just a smaller portion? I swear, my 80 - 100g baked potato with my steak looks pathetic but you get used to it.

ETA: I agree that potatoes are very nutritious and I don't think others mentioning it is rude at all, informative, if anything.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My suggestions

Potato go with sweet potato or maybe try parsnips. I know you can make chips out of parsnips a little better then regular spuds

Pasta you can try the spaghetti squash but switching to a high fiber pasta will help you feel full plus everyone needs fiber I have never tried it but I have heard that you can use squash cut in to strips for lasagna replacement, me I will stick to real noodles.

Bread - well somethings you just can substitute for bread but if you are looking for sandwich fixins go with a tortilla or even just lettuce or some other leaves, if you do still need bread and who doesn't make sure it is real bread look at the label if there are ingredients you cant pronounce put it back many bread companies add stuff to bread to make it last longer or make your own bread it might take a few times to get it right but the smell of baking bread is divine. If you have bread that goes stale don't worry that is a reason to make croutons (homemade croutons so easy and so delicious) or make some french toast the stale bread will hold the egg mixture and make a wonderful piece of french toast.

Sometimes I make lasagna with eggplant, and sometimes zucchini. I like them both. If a person isn't wanting to eat bread, why on earth would they add oil and them eat it as croutons? Personally, I eat foods from all food groups, just fewer carbs than I used to, and of course smaller portions of everything. Sometimes I make my own bread and tortillas, and sometimes I buy bread if I don't have room in my freezer for a homemade batch. I only average a half of a loaf per week.
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have cut out these three foods, and also gone wheat free for diet reasons.
    Good suggestions here like sweet potatoes are good, can have them baked with cottage cheese and salmon, or cut into wedges with chillies sprinkled is lovely and they don't take too long to cook from fresh.
    I changed to gluten free pasta, the calories are the same, so no benefit there, but I feel less full and bloated after eating. I also seriously cut down the amount of pasta I eat, what used to be 200 g with a home-made chopped tomato sauce is now 50grames, with more of a chopped tomato vegetable stew and handful of pasta. Instead of pasta you could also try courgette (zuchinni?)
    I either grate this like a rice, or slice thinly longways for more of a pasta style, with a sauce and veg with chicken.
    I also have a lot more brown rice, as this is filling and good for fibre.
    In terms of bread, I have wheat free. but only as toast, and only at the weekend as a treat. Don't really miss it during the week though.
    Best of luck! feel free to add for diary share!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Instead of hash browns you could just try a baked potato

Instead of French fries maybe mashed potatoes? Skip the gravy though.
  • moylek
    moylek Posts: 27
    Options
    I love all of these things so I eat them in moderation. In my experience when you start to cut things out of your diet you start to feel like you are missing out. Moderation is the key:smile:

My own experience was that moderation was not an option for bread or pasta - if I ate some, I ate it more and I ate it more often (and I found that whole-wheat pasta was like eating shredded cardboard). So my wife and I had to just cut them out almost completely.

You get used to making and eating other things after a while. I tend to console myself over the loss of bread with sausages, steak, and chilli.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options

Or sweet potatoes, They are really yummy too.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Sweet potato hash browns? Intriguing.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Sweet potato hash browns? Intriguing.

This is relevant to my interests.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    I use a vegetable peeler on zucchinis to make "noodles". I also love shredded brussels sprouts as a pasta alternative. I'll do whole wheat pasta occasionally, white flour pasta jacks my blood sugar so I keep it pretty rare.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I use a vegetable peeler on zucchinis to make "noodles". I also love shredded brussels sprouts as a pasta alternative. I'll do whole wheat pasta occasionally, white flour pasta jacks my blood sugar so I keep it pretty rare.

It might be interesting to try using the vegetable peeler on potatoes to make potato "noodles".

Also, brussels sprouts taste like buttholes. And not even accidental buttholes but buttholes on purpose.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just... dont eat those things. I dont make many pasta dishes anymore except lasagna and I use zucchini noodles. I choose quinoa over rice, I leave potatoes out or use sweet potatoes, and I have cut back on sandwiches and pizza. I'll use lettuce wraps instead of bread/ tortillas.

I have yet to feel like I'm missing out on anything and I'm going on 4 months.

I may have a bread product maybe once a week.
  • briggitte59
    briggitte59 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Maybe bake the potatoes ?
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i personally like corn pasta over normal pasta but theres also quinoa pasta, brown rice pasta and etc
    potatoes aren't bad for you
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I prefer potatoes
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Regarding bread - there are two pretty low calorie / low carb wraps that work great. Fiber one makes one (wraps are 80 cals) and there's a lavash bread made by Josephs (found at BJ's wholesale club) that is 50 cals for a small or 100 for a large wrap.

The only thing this just doesn't replace is garlic bread with cheese. Or fresh baked breads. Or tortilla chips. There is no replacement for those things :P
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    For Bread, try Ezeikel brand, it is sprouted whole grain and good for you. High in fiber and protein.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, no need to cut them from your diet, unless you are preparing them with butter or oil.

Pasta, you can use less of it. If you are having a spaghetti dish, add some broccoli, or whatever veggies you enjoy, and then just use less pasta in that dish. Also, you can have pasta less often.

Bread, there is no substitute. It's calorie dense and nutrient poor refined food. It should just be eliminated, or at least reduced as much as you can stand.