About to Throw In the Towel

Options

Replies

• LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm glad you updated your settings. You will so much happier eating a sustainable amount instead of always feeling deprived.
    I just wanted to say if you get away with it don't work through lunch! I know I am much more productive when I take a nice lunch break (especially when work is hectic). I hope you can start up your mid-day lunch walks, especially as the weather is getting nicer.
  • Flabby_2_Fabby
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you about your weight loss becoming stagnant....but I do know from personal experience that if you wear Spanx or some other type of slimming, tight-fitting underclothes it will hold your fat in place a little better and not allow it to flap about violently. Hope this helps.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read, I highly suggest: This information truly helped me:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Don't give up, you're worth it!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Okay, Yes I know my Diet goes back and forth...I do excercise, (and when i run my fat hurts..) lol i try to eat for the most part healthy. I like dr pepper and try to stear clear but have my foul ups. but for the most part i have flucuated the same dang 5 pounds for the last 2 years.
    So yes, I feel as if AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I notice though, yes somedays i go OVER my calories. and other days i am under. Its set at 1200 which i hate but dang it i want my fat to fall off not hurt :) so i don't want to eat back the ones i burn. but i am starting to think that is what is hendering my weight lose...................;

I'll take you on as a free client.
    You let me design your program and set nutritional goals and I'll get the fat coming off.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    ^^ Dan is a great resource -- let him help you out. :flowerforyou:

I'm so glad you are going to stick around and give this another try.
  • sfhudgens
    sfhudgens Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Okay, So I thought about just throwing the towel in but i didn't.
    I upped my Calories so I only lose .5 a week. Seems slow but hey, its better than yo'yoing up and down.
    I started to skip counting calories and only watch my protien cause i was told eating 100 grams of protien
    will help me lose weight. but i am addicted to putting in my food, whether its bad or good :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I upped my Calories so I only lose .5 a week. Seems slow but hey, its better than yo'yoing up and down.
    I started to skip counting calories and only watch my protien cause i was told eating 100 grams of protien
    will help me lose weight. but i am addicted to putting in my food, whether its bad or good :)

Shoot for 200g protein then.

Listen, heres the deal!
    I'ts not about what food you eat and what fractions of what macros that really count.
    What matters is YOUR lifestyle.
    If you want to take off pounds that you put on over the past 5, 10, 15 years, i's going to take time to reverse engineer your body to do the opposite of what its taught to do.
    Fix the following before even attempting weight/fat loss.

1) Sleep 7-9 hours a night.
    2) Eat on a schedule everyday.
    3) Manage stress
    4) Nutrition (70/30)
    5) Exercise in moderation

Sleep: Slow wave and REM sleep is when the body repairs itself. If you are sleeping less than 7 hours a night, you may not be reaching and utilizing this very important part of sleep. Studies indicate up to a 30% increase in insulin resistance in people who sleep less than 7 hours a night.

Eat on a schedule: The body likes homeostasis and will try to adapt to it in nearly everything you do. Eating on a schedule will help regulate specific hormones that will help your body operate better during the day. You'll have less stress, better utilization of nutrients, and once you find what works for you, you'll rarely be hungry.

Stress: Most people think of panic driven people when I mention stress. What i'm really referring to is systemic stress. Dieting too low for too long. Training too hard but not taking in enough energy. Not sleeping correctly. Not recovering from exercise fully. sure we all have stressful days but once you have sleep and an eating schedule, psychological stress tends to reduce and you generally will be in a better mood. Managing physical stress is all about eating to fuel your exercise and activity, and sleeping or taking days off from exercise to fully recover. Best means of slowly learning how you react to physical stress is to keep a journal next to your bed. First thing upon wakening, take your resting heart rate. Do this for a week to get a general reading. If you are exercising too hard and not sleeping enough, the rate will rise.

Nutrition: Eat anything you like in moderation. Period. Try to stick with whole foods 70% of the time, and 30% eat whatever you like so long as you aren't allergic. Period. Don't worry about paleo, low-carb, Keto, Atkins, SouthBeach, or any other fad diet. Most of those are complete bull**** and its unnecessary. You'll find that doing this will take the stress out of buying food. 70% of your cart should be whole foods and 30% can be whatever you like. As for macros, since you stated you like tracking food, I prefer a 40/30/30 breakdown. Beware of the pitfalls of orthorexia though.

Exercise in moderation: Unless you are a Navy Seal, you don't need to exercise everyday. Walking is a must! But as for weight lifting or pilates or spin class or whatever type of exercise you prefer, you don't have to do it every day. It's good to work out, but in a deficit while losing fat, you'll want to have that recovery time. My recommendation is to take up weight lifting 2-4x a week. Get a gym membership anywhere except planet fitness. Planet fitness doesn't offer personal trainers, nor do they have the type of equipment you can use to streamline your fat loss. In fact, they offer pizza thursdays....yep....awesome.
    If you cannot afford a gym membership, hit up amazon for the following: Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade, or Dinosaur Bodyweight Training by Brooks Kubik. Both books will show you step by step how to take calisthenics, and transform your physique. they both have carefully laid out plans on what exercises to perform, as well as plans that match your schedule.

Hope that helps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Losing weight slowly is better than not at all, or gaining weight. Eat at a smaller benefit, eat your exercise calories back.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can check back on Dan's advice since I'm having trouble and ready to kick this to the curb too (I know that it's slow going for me partly because I'm hypothyroid and I'm still learning how to deal with it.)
  • kjgarcia
    kjgarcia Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    JengaJess, thanks for posting the website with the BMR/TDEE calculator. I'm at work, so I'm kind of busy to really look at it at the moment, but definitely something to explore later.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    2 things to avoid every day, as much as possible, are sodium and sugar.

Sodium is like a holding tank for your body. It clings to water (in anything you eat or drink), among other things and encourages bloating! Tossing that out of the equation will make you FEEL like a million bucks.

Sugar literally turns to fat. And almost always that fat makes friends and then refuses to leave. Who invited that guy to the party?

My personal success (and I've totally been exactly where you are) has come from forcing myself to eat 5-6 small meals a day. I say forcing because I generally don't enjoy eating *ducks for cover from flying rotten food*. I know. It's weird. But I just do it to be healthy. I try to find the most filling low-calorie foods and just munch on something every two to three hours all day.

Try keeping your starches early in the day (like breakfast and lunch), and as the time passes grab the veggies, nuts, fruit and lean protein. Avoid eating within two hours of bed time if you can!

Your body is different from mine, so what works best for you might take some experimenting. This is just what has worked for me, and has broken me of plateaus more than once!

I hope it helps, and I wish you the best!!

kristin-cavallari-not-really.gif
  • sfhudgens
    Options
    That helps a ton!!! Thanks ;) kind of put a whole new prospective on it!!!
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thank YOU, OP, for being someone who reached out for help, told the truth about cals consumed, and actually took the good advice given without calling people mean. Seriously...that happens all the time. Too many just want validation for their excuses. You seem to genuinely want help. Good for you, and good luck. If you keep at it with moderation and honest logging, I'm confident the lbs will start to come off. They sure did for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    The science of weight loss actually works. Lots of people think they can beat the system, most to no avail. Do EVERYTHING right for 30 days. If in 30 days that you've been CONSISTENT, and nothing happens, then you'll be justified in saying that the program doesn't work.
    Haven't seen one yet that it didn't work for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great Advice! Thanks Dan!!
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Shoot for 200g protein then.

Listen, heres the deal!
    I'ts not about what food you eat and what fractions of what macros that really count.
    What matters is YOUR lifestyle.
    If you want to take off pounds that you put on over the past 5, 10, 15 years, i's going to take time to reverse engineer your body to do the opposite of what its taught to do.
    Fix the following before even attempting weight/fat loss.

1) Sleep 7-9 hours a night.
    2) Eat on a schedule everyday.
    3) Manage stress
    4) Nutrition (70/30)
    5) Exercise in moderation

Sleep: Slow wave and REM sleep is when the body repairs itself. If you are sleeping less than 7 hours a night, you may not be reaching and utilizing this very important part of sleep. Studies indicate up to a 30% increase in insulin resistance in people who sleep less than 7 hours a night.

Eat on a schedule: The body likes homeostasis and will try to adapt to it in nearly everything you do. Eating on a schedule will help regulate specific hormones that will help your body operate better during the day. You'll have less stress, better utilization of nutrients, and once you find what works for you, you'll rarely be hungry.

Stress: Most people think of panic driven people when I mention stress. What i'm really referring to is systemic stress. Dieting too low for too long. Training too hard but not taking in enough energy. Not sleeping correctly. Not recovering from exercise fully. sure we all have stressful days but once you have sleep and an eating schedule, psychological stress tends to reduce and you generally will be in a better mood. Managing physical stress is all about eating to fuel your exercise and activity, and sleeping or taking days off from exercise to fully recover. Best means of slowly learning how you react to physical stress is to keep a journal next to your bed. First thing upon wakening, take your resting heart rate. Do this for a week to get a general reading. If you are exercising too hard and not sleeping enough, the rate will rise.

Nutrition: Eat anything you like in moderation. Period. Try to stick with whole foods 70% of the time, and 30% eat whatever you like so long as you aren't allergic. Period. Don't worry about paleo, low-carb, Keto, Atkins, SouthBeach, or any other fad diet. Most of those are complete bull**** and its unnecessary. You'll find that doing this will take the stress out of buying food. 70% of your cart should be whole foods and 30% can be whatever you like. As for macros, since you stated you like tracking food, I prefer a 40/30/30 breakdown. Beware of the pitfalls of orthorexia though.

Exercise in moderation: Unless you are a Navy Seal, you don't need to exercise everyday. Walking is a must! But as for weight lifting or pilates or spin class or whatever type of exercise you prefer, you don't have to do it every day. It's good to work out, but in a deficit while losing fat, you'll want to have that recovery time. My recommendation is to take up weight lifting 2-4x a week. Get a gym membership anywhere except planet fitness. Planet fitness doesn't offer personal trainers, nor do they have the type of equipment you can use to streamline your fat loss. In fact, they offer pizza thursdays....yep....awesome.
    If you cannot afford a gym membership, hit up amazon for the following: Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade, or Dinosaur Bodyweight Training by Brooks Kubik. Both books will show you step by step how to take calisthenics, and transform your physique. they both have carefully laid out plans on what exercises to perform, as well as plans that match your schedule.

Hope that helps.

Great Advice!! Thanks Dan!
  • mbennett024
    mbennett024 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you about your weight loss becoming stagnant....but I do know from personal experience that if you wear Spanx or some other type of slimming, tight-fitting underclothes it will hold your fat in place a little better and not allow it to flap about violently. Hope this helps.

Hahaha I laugh because this is the most annoying part of exercise for me, all the damn fat jiggling and flopping ugh lol it's painful, really! Good tip.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Okay, I changed it to only lose .5 a week and it is now saying that I can eat
    1,630 Calories a day :)

Now, here's the thing. Here's the trick. Here's the MAGIC that everyone wants: just eat that. Every day. Eat that number. That's enough calories where you can eat pizza, or drink wine, or eat chocolate... everything in moderation. Just keep at that number. BUT IF YOU OVEREAT ONE DAY, try not to stress. Just pick up again tomorrow. 1630. Every day. You'll binge less. You'll be happier.

But be honest and accurate and weigh your food as best you can.

Bumping--lots of GREAT info in this post!
  • sfhudgens
    Options
    Awesome information! Thanks everyone!!
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Also, if you've set the built-in calculator to say you have a sedentary lifestyle, make sure to eat back your exercise calories. You need to replenish those calories because those calories are your energy source for the exercise.