More veggies, please!!

Options
beaches61
beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
I need to do more veggies to help keep myself satisfied.

I do eat veggies, but in looking at my diet, I think it would help me to pack in MORE of them so I can feel fuller.

Here are the veggies that I typically do. If you have other suggestions for how to do tasty veggies without too many calories to feel fuller and be healthier, please suggest>

What I already do:
Raw carrots and hummus - I have this a LOT.
Steamed broccoli
Baked sweet potato - I eat this a lot, too.
Spinach salad (with feta and boiled egg)
Fresh asparagus, usually grilled
Green beans
Lettuce or spinach on a sandwich - I like sandwiches.

Other ideas?

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Summer is rolling around soon, it's very easy to grow lettuce. Having fresh lettuce growing makes for the freshest salad ever, every night. And they don't get boring if you plant a variety of lettuces.

Veggie soups are great, too. I like to include celery, carrots, asparagus, green beans, and a bunch of other things. Some sort of leafy vegetable usually goes well in a veggie soup, too. Spinach, arugula, kale, chard, cabbage, etc.

Green smoothies and green juices are another way to slip more veggies into your diet.

Edit: Oh i forgot to add. You said you like greens on bread. Try using a tortilla, spread some hummus on it, and then LOAD it with spring mix. A little mustard, a few thinly sliced tomatoes, and some thinly sliced cucumbers.
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    EvenThatNameIsTaken Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    mushrooms, brussel sprouts, butternut squash, kale, arugula, bell peppers

don't forget yummy avocados.. higher in calories but sooo yummy. :)
  • beaches61
    Options
    I don't usually eat avocados. But I'm not a picky eater. Do you just eat them raw or how do you prepare them?

I have read about the green smoothies but have not tried them. Guess I'll have to give it a go.
  • beaches61
    Options

Edit: Oh i forgot to add. You said you like greens on bread. Try using a tortilla, spread some hummus on it, and then LOAD it with spring mix. A little mustard, a few thinly sliced tomatoes, and some thinly sliced cucumbers.

This sounds YUMMY!!!! Thanks, I will absolutely be trying that.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I make curries or stir frys and just LOAD them with veggies.
    In my curry I have zucchini, broccoli, onions, sweet potato, bell peppers, mushrooms, peas... basically whatever I have.
    In pasta dishes and lasagnas I just add more veggies to the sauce. So if you have a meat sauce toss some chopped zucchini, mushrooms, and onions in it.

Really take any dish you normally make, and bulk it up with veggies.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the calories in vegetables, especially since they're good for you! Maybe pay attention to avocados and potatoes, but other than that, eat away! I loooove eating peppers. I make onion dip, which is 0% greek yogurt with onion soup mix from Lipton. Loooowww calorie dip that tastes f'n amazing. I also make sweet potato cubes. Toss them with a bit of olive oil, pepper, garlic, and some tamarind. Delicious. I add red pepper and zucchini to the mix. I like to roast my asparagus in a bit of olive oil and lightly coat with Parmesan. I make baby red russets by cutting them in half, adding olive oil (i love olive oil) and tossing with italian seasoning and garlic!! I love cooking!
  • littishiaa
    Options
    All of the veggies you posted are great. I eat all of them also. And this is only my second week and I had to cut back on my food was eating too much, Keep up the good work: it will pay off for us all:
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    the most awesome wrap is roasted sweet potato with carmelized red onion and goat cheese...in a tortilla or a pita...or a bowl if you don't want bread. Roasting veg makes them taste completely different and I think more filling too.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like to take different veggies and put them in ziploc steam bags then I bring them to work with me and just throw they in the microwave for a few minutes and they are great. I usually put baby bella mushrooms (quartered) yellow squash (sliced) asparagus (cut in pieces) baby carrots, broccoli and I even tried adding whole okra this time(haven't tried it yet) then just before I put it in the microwave I add a little chicken bouillion to give it a little more flavor. They have turned out very good.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I will try almost any veggie I see in the store that looks good. Now that the weather is starting to warm up (sort of), the green markets will be out and about with all sorts of fresh veggies. I love grilling my veggies with just a light spray of olive oil. I love to grill:

mushrooms
    asparagus
    squash
    Brussel Sprouts (microwave for 3 minutes first to soften)
    Green Beans (put them in a grill basket so they don't fall through the grill)

Enjoy!!
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Here are some ideas I like: sautéed zucchini, roasted brussel sprouts are very filling (or cabbage). Have you tried kale? I discovered I don't care for it raw, but I enjoy it sautéed/roasted. Do you like bell peppers? Those have so much flavor, you don't really need any dip. Have you tried other varieties of squash? Some are more stringy than others... but butternut squash has a velvety texture and nice rich flavor. How about cauliflower mash (instead of mashed potatoes)? I tried a cauliflower crust pizza which was pretty good, I would think the mash would be delicious if seasoned well. Collard greens & swiss chard are very tasty sautéed. If you'd like, I can hunt down the recipe & forward to you. I'll vouch for green smoothies; spinach is best as it grinds up nicely (better than kale) and the fruit flavor takes over.. .you don't taste the spinach in a smoothie :)
  • beaches61
    Options
    These are all great ideas, thank you so much!!! I am going to print all of them out.

I haven't tried kale, but again, I'm open to anything, and I'm really not picky.

I do like squash, too, but for some reason we just never seem to cook it. Have to get that on the menu.

I LOVE collard greens -- strange, the only time we ever seem to eat them is on New Year's Day!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash! yum

shaved brussel sprouts, sauteed with bacon and mushrooms. I have to have this at LEAST twice a week but more like 4 times a week. It is so good.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables anyways, but if I really want to get in some extra servings I'll make a pureed veggie soup. Onions, zucchini, red and green bell peppers, a bit of squash, and some lentils. About 3 parts raw chopped veggies to 1 cup dry lentils.
  • beaches61
    Options
    I think I've been in a food rut. These ideas are going to help me spice things up. Thank you, and keep them coming, I am going to try them!
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I love Jicama. If its accessible to you.. use it! I don't crave sweets and salts.. I crave textures. And when I need something crunchy.. I will just chop some up and eat it. It's pretty mild too and easily takes on the taste of whatever you use it with. I put it in salads and anything mexican I eat. So good. :)
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I LOVE grilled zucchini/summer squash/and onion. SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD! **drool**
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I love most vegetables, but a couple suggestions I didn't see yet: roasted bell peppers (I eat these almost every day). I also like to stick halved tomatoes under the broiler for a couple minutes with Italian seasoning and a tiny bit of cheese.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    i like potatoes
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    Cucumbers are my go to snack. Great on sandwiches or with a low cal dip. But I like them plain.

Roasted broccoli is great. I saw on a cooking show where she roasted radishes. Said it made them sweet so I tried it. They were very very good.

I agree with the grilled squash idea. Love grilled squash.

Another crazy idea that I find delicious is grilled green tomatoes. I toss sliced green tomatoes with light drizzle of olive oil, minced garlic and fresh lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste. Grill until tender. They are awesome... Or I think so. I'm sure you could use canola oil but I use olive oil for good fat.