Recovering from a Binge

Options
2»

Replies

• ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Love the idea of bring healthy snacks to these events. I think that will be a big help. Appreciate all teh feedback!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    go about my life.

it's not recovery- it's move on and get over it.

Be prepared for the next time- learn what your triggers are and call it a day- be better- do better.

no sense dwelling on it- it doesn't help anybody- esp you.
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If my "binge" is a once every 3-4 month experience I don't do anything. I accept it as choices I made and move on. If I find myself in a more then one day binge Iook for a deeper cause and address it. Usually for me its poor surroundings, poor planning, not exercising, or emotional in its root cause. If I know I've gone a little over in a day that I wasn't planning on it, I will if possible adjust the next couple of meals and/or add some extra fitness into my life. For instance, last night for dinner I ate out. I found that I ate more french fries then I felt comfortable with. Not a big binge but along with a couple snacky things through the day that weren't the best choices I was going to be ending my day higher in calories then I wanted. I also wanted to watch the womens Notre Dame basketball game. So I went to the gym, plopped my behind on a treadmill in front of the tv showing the game and ran for 4 miles. Ended the day in a much more positive mental state and then didn't feel guilty at all about the french fries or snack sized candy bar I ate.
  • vastiris
    vastiris Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've never posted here before, so please excuse if this is something you've already spoken about....

What do you guys find helps you for what I'm going to call the "planned binge"? Long story short, my bf and I have been following MFP for two solid months, and have been really on track for a solid 2 months. The biggest issue we've (well really, 'I've") encountered lately was eating out at a hockey game, and even this could have been offset if I had the time to put in a strength workout that day.

We both strength train 3x a week, with cardio 1-2x/week added.

On Friday, we're going to be away for two days for the local "Beerfest", something we did last year and loved, and it is a good time with friends. I'm trying to get in a good mental state for the upcoming 'binge', and I really don't know if the answer is to allow ourselves a 'cheat' day, or if there is some way to mitigate the damage proactively.

We also have a cruise for the end of April, but I feel like this might be easier, since we plan to workout during, and with so many food options, we've promised ourselves that we will make good choices...

Is it healthier to go in with a plan, or to allow ourselves a splurge? I only ask, because I'm already nervous, and am afriad that overanalyzing will put me into a funk.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    go enjoy yourself and don't make it a habit.

my friend calls it a "what's a macro" weekend.

It's not really a "binge" but just go enjoy yourself.

It is what it is and move on.
  • vastiris
    Options
    I guess it's llike weight watchers used to say - if you don't occaisionally give in to a craving, you'll do 10 things that will be far worse.

The boyfriend keeps saying that it's our reward for the work we've done (40 lbs between the two of us).

Thanks for the words, JoRocka - it's my brain that's getting in my way :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    no worries.

it happens. special occasions are special.

I try not to look at them as 'rewards' only because I'll justify lots of things and 'reward' myself for farting in my chair if I could get a cookie out of it LOL

If I have a weekend like that- I try to make good decisions along the way- knowing I'll go over but knowing also I was AWARE.

So for dinner usually we do steak- so for me it's wine- nice salad- steak- sub out pasta/rice/potatoes for extra side veggies- don't' eat ALL the bread- and I enjoy my dessert and forthy delicious espresso for dessert.

well rounded- keeps me full- still went over- don't feel fat and guilty.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I move on.
  • vastiris
    Options
    I have gotten good at the days where I go over my calories (never by much), and saying, "no worries, I can keep it on track"

It's the knowing way ahead of time that it's going to be a bad day, and my mind telling me "there has to be a way to do this right". In this case, we're going to go over. We have plans to work out that day, but I know damn well I'm going over. It's the pre-guilt that I'm having a hard time with, that's all. I don't want to be the person who becomes obsessive, esp since I know my calories are so much lower than his (as it should be), and I know the damage will look so much worse on my end.

It helps to hear slipping up doesn't equal fail.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a binge in 6 months I'm not even sure what a binge would be for me. when I was in high school I weighed 150lbs and could eat three big macs and two cheese burgers and two super sized fries and not gain an oz. I guess that would be binging for me.

anyway, I would just pretend it didn't happen and get back on track. because if you dwell on the binge you will feel bad about it and then eat more, then feel bad and eat a gain. just a vicious circle. so have a short memory and keep doing what you are doing.