Light headed and weak

Options
I have been working out for about a year now. ANywhere from 4-6 times week. I do weights and cardio

I had breakfast before my 6am workout (greek yogurt with strawberrys and coffee) Also had water. THis morning I did heavier weights then I have been doing for a while. During the workout I felt light headed a bit, but if would take a break I would be ok. I even did 2 miles on the treadmill after and was fine. I came home and had eggs and turkey bacon with protein drink. As time went on I became more and more light headed. Finally to the point I had to lay down. The total time after workout to when I started feeling a bit better was 4 hours. Now I am not lightheaded but a mild headache and feel really tired. Curious if this happens to anyone else? Wondered if maybe was not breathing properly during weights?

If it happens again tomorrow or don't feel better I will go to the doctor but just curious if anyone else experiences this

Replies

• corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I get that sometimes. Ususally when I dont eat enough.
    My bodys daily needs change daily. so I always listen to it.
    If you are lifting heavier, or changing your workouts in any way then you need to change what you eat as well.
    Also, did you get enough sleep last night? Hows the weather where you are? those two things can throw me off too.
  • jwells_04
    Options
    I slept about 6 hours...woke up at 4 but went to bed at 10..My body just woke me up as I have been getting up early for workouts. I live in Chicago and the weather is very back and forth. Yesterday it was 60 and today it i windy and chilly again.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how many calories do you consume per day?
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you are eating enough calories then maybe go and have your iron levels check, that is how I feel when my iron is low.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    What's your diet like? Have you been low carb for a while?
  • jwells_04
    Options
    I don't really limit carbs per say, I just try and not over do it. Usually the highest amount will come oatmeal, sometimes I will have it before or after the gym. About 10:00, i had a protein bar (had about 17g of carbs) just to get some sugar in me just incase was blood sugar...then a little over an hour later is when I started feeling a bit better. I usually try and stick to lean meat, vegtables fruits, almonds, non fat greek yogurt, cottage cheese and oatmeal. Occasionally I will have brown rice.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    again - how many calories per day do you consume on average?
  • jwells_04
    Options
    Sorry didn't see your origional post..anywhere from 1700-2000
  • ndj1979
    Options

well, it is not from under eating...

if it happens again, I would go to a dr and get checked out...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

For an active, lean male, it's possible its not enough calories. I know I struggle with anything less than 2300 calories..

The question also is, what kind of foods are you eating? Its possible you aren't getting enough nutrient dense foods.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    That happened to me last year around October, felt dizzy when I was laying down doing body pump, or if I was moving quickly. Had light headed and felt weak and tired also. I visited the doctor and found out that I had anemia. Had to take Iron and Vitamin C for three months to correct the anemia.
    Now I just take multivitamins with iron and feel just fine. I recommend to visit the doctor and not to wait for the next time, if you pass out, you could hurt yourself.
  • storyborey
    storyborey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Might just be a bug, or stress, or one of those things. Doesn't have to be about diet or exercise. I wouldn't worry about it until it carries on for more than two days.
  • Pusheenthecat
    Pusheenthecat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My daughter had the same problem. She started taking iron and vitamin B12 and it did the trick.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    How about sodium? I get like that when I've been drinking a lot of water and eating in a certain way. If you eat a lot of unprocessed stuff it can happen. For most people it's not a concern because salt is in just about everything (especially anything packaged), but it's definitely not impossible.
  • cgolguin
    cgolguin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It also sounds like your water intake might be low. Dehydration can make you feel like that as well. If you are going to lift heavy, or even workout harder than normal, it is always a good idea to hydrate well the day before. Especially if you work out in the am.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

For an active, lean male, it's possible its not enough calories. I know I struggle with anything less than 2300 calories..

Agreed, I'm 31 male and I'm at 2400, and even then, if it's a particularly heavy day of exercise I have to up it to 26-2700 or I struggle.

Rigger
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you are eating enough calories then maybe go and have your iron levels check, that is how I feel when my iron is low.

I include my multivitamins in my dairy just make sure I am getting enough iron.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have been working out for about a year now. ANywhere from 4-6 times week. I do weights and cardio

I had breakfast before my 6am workout (greek yogurt with strawberrys and coffee) Also had water. THis morning I did heavier weights then I have been doing for a while. During the workout I felt light headed a bit, but if would take a break I would be ok. I even did 2 miles on the treadmill after and was fine. I came home and had eggs and turkey bacon with protein drink. As time went on I became more and more light headed. Finally to the point I had to lay down. The total time after workout to when I started feeling a bit better was 4 hours. Now I am not lightheaded but a mild headache and feel really tired. Curious if this happens to anyone else? Wondered if maybe was not breathing properly during weights?

If it happens again tomorrow or don't feel better I will go to the doctor but just curious if anyone else experiences this

Its gotta be iron. I had the same issue a few years ago. Now i make sure to take a supplement before or after working out, without any diary.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, I would get bloodwork before you assume it's a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Too much of a certain elements can make things worse.