Too much protein???

So I have started (Day 2 ) on this journey and have been tracking all my food. I have no issues so far with keeping my caloric, fat, or carbs in check HOWEVER the protein is tooooo high. My question is if I am incorporating a grilled chicken breast, cottage cheese, and tuna into my day are those the WRONG choices? How much protein is too much? I would absolutely understand if it was fat or calories. Any help???

Also I have amaaaazing friends and family to support me but a nice MFP base might be helpful too so PLEASE feel free to add me.....Only 26 days left to FORM THIS HABIT :)

Replies

• Luciu5
    Luciu5 Posts: 15
    There is no such thing as too much protein, as long as you are within your calorie goal.
  • alecno
    alecno Posts: 27 Member
    Yeah, don't be upset if you're a little bit in the red for protein. It's no big deal (unless you're talking like 300+ grams/day...). Just make sure the calories are appropriate for the day and all will be good.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    The MFP default setting is generally considered to be a minimum. I strive to get approximately 1g/lb of lean body mass a day, which puts me at just over 100g of protein/day.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    How much protein is too much?

No such thing...General rule of thumb, i think, is 1g of protein per your target lbs. So if you're trying to reach 150 lbs you'd take in 150g of protein a day. ANYBODY: Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Excess proteins typically just end up being poop. You're safe lol.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    The MFP default setting is generally considered to be a minimum. I strive to get approximately 1g/lb of lean body mass a day, which puts me at just over 100g of protein/day.

^This. MFP has their protein default set at the minimum recommended. Try to get in the red every day or reset your macros if you'd prefer not seeing the red numbers. I aim for 120 g per day.
  • I go over my protein every day but I don't worry about it. I feel like the protein limit is low on here. Yes, just eating eggs for breakfast, turkey sandwich for lunch, snack on some greek yogurt, chicken dinner and I've gone over! I feel so much better when I eat higher protein so I'll keep at it.

I think as long as you aren't doing ONLY protein and not balancing with enough cards it's okay. :)
  • I love eating protein as it keeps me full longer. My stomach is growling, I always know that I didn't eat enough protein.
  • ChubbyInHeels
    ChubbyInHeels Posts: 24 Member
    GREAT INFO!! THANKS EVERYONE!!:wink:
  • I agree with the "there is no such thing as too much protein" comment. I also sent you a friend request as I need to add motivational friends to my list as well :)
  • StephyA86
    StephyA86 Posts: 68 Member
    I love eating protein as it keeps me full longer. My stomach is growling, I always know that I didn't eat enough protein.

I agree with this too. I pair protein with every single meal and snack. That and healthy fats keep me satisfied and not "hangry" through out the day.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    I almost always go over with protein. The only thing I truly look at is carbs, I'm trying to stay under 200 a day. I regularly eat 90-110g of protein a day, and I feel MFP grossly underestimates the amount of protein people need.

Protein isn't the enemy. As long as it comes from a good source, you'll be fine.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    How much protein is too much?

No such thing...General rule of thumb, i think, is 1g of protein per your target lbs. So if you're trying to reach 150 lbs you'd take in 150g of protein a day. ANYBODY: Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    this
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    There is no such thing as too much protein, as long as you are within your calorie goal.

I agree with this up to a point. There are many folks who can get into a gastric distress situation (upset stomach, bloating, etc.) from too much protein at one time. I would advise to ramp up protein slowly to avoid that uncomfortable feeling. I strive for between 25 and 30 grams of lean protein 5 or 6 times a day.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    If you have kidney issues, doctors usually recommend that you get no more than the daily recommended value; I believe it's 46-68g daily for women. Outside of that, you should be fine.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    How high is too high? IMO, MFP sets the protein goal entirely too low. I, personally, aim for 150g/day.....as above posters said, 1g/pound of body weight on average. Protein is important.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Taken from another poster in the Keto group:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

That will help you calculate your minimum protein.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    How much are you eating?
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Tom Ventuo says 1 gram per pound of body weight if you want to lose fat but keep muscle.

I am a little under that so as I am increasing my calories (for my next level) by 100/day per week to find my spot, I am concentrating on protein. Protein is your friend if you like your muscles.
  • ChubbyInHeels
    ChubbyInHeels Posts: 24 Member
    Again THANKS EVERYONE!! I appreciate the knowledge and support :)