Thai Red Chicken & Sweet Potato Curry

Options
NicNac86
NicNac86 Posts: 130
Found a few different recipes online, made a few tweaks and made my own version last night.

I'll say that it serves 4, but they are big portions so maybe you could get 6 out of it :)

575g skinless boneless chicken breasts, diced
1 tsp ground chilli/chilli flakes
400ml coconut milk (I used full fat cos I couldn't find a low fat version when I went shopping, but apparently they do exist)
2 rounded tbsp red thai curry paste
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
1 tsp mixed dried herbs (you could use fresh if you like)
1 medium onion, sliced
1 OXO chicken stock cube - make into 300ml stock, or use your own stock.
175g frozen peas
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger (you could use fresh)
1 tsp lemon juice

Dry fry the chilli flakes & mixed herbs for 1 minute over a low-medium heat, then add the curry paste. Fry for another minute.

Add the sliced onion and mix well. I kept the pieces of onion quite large and they went all soft and gooey after cooking :)

Fry for another minute then add the garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice, ginger and mix well.

After another couple of minutes add the coconut milk and stock, stir well.

Add the chicken & sweet potato and simmer for 25 mins or so until the sweet potato can be easily mashed with a fork and the chicken is cooked through.

Add the frozen peas in the last 5 minutes of cooking time.

I also used a tablespoon of arrowroot to thicken it a little at the end.

I didn't brown the chicken first, but you could try it and see what happens.

MFP calculates this total meal as: 1930 calories, 134g carbs, 99g fat, 3934 sodium, 21g fiber.

As we had this between two of us twice, we had this down as a quarter of that, but if you do it for 6 then it'll work out less.

Per quarter portion: 483 calories, 34g carbs, 25g fat, 984 sodium, 21 fiber.

Served with basmati rice last night, and it was absolutely gorgeous! :) I could probably leave out the chicken and cut the sweet potato a little larger next time for a veggie option!

Replies

• lusciousli
    lusciousli Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ow fat coconut milk = evaporated soy milk (coconut) is with the condensed milks :)
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hello, Lover...
  • whobuddy
    whobuddy Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I've been in a rut, eatting the same things every day and wanted something new and checked out the message board. This recipe was AWESOME!!! My husband ate 2 helpings and asked me to freeze it for lunches and he's a picky eater! Thank you so much again for sharing!:happy:
  • NicNac86
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I've been in a rut, eatting the same things every day and wanted something new and checked out the message board. This recipe was AWESOME!!! My husband ate 2 helpings and asked me to freeze it for lunches and he's a picky eater! Thank you so much again for sharing!:happy:

Awwww :flowerforyou:

No worries!
  • NicNac86
    Options
    Hello, Lover...

Errm hello? :huh:
  • NicNac86
    Options
    ow fat coconut milk = evaporated soy milk (coconut) is with the condensed milks :)

Thanks, I'll have a look next time I'm shopping :smile:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I would eat this
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options