ATKINS DIET

Replies

• eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Then stop looking for diets...they are temporary eating for temporary weight loss and when you stop you gain the weight back.

Eat at a reasonable calorie deficet and you will lose weight.
    [/quote]

THIS^^^^^ Stop dieting, you are on MFP now so you dont have to diet!
  • I have not tried it-my sis-in-law did-and it worked for her-for me this is not a diet it is a journey-and a lifestyle-but do what you feel and don't listen to rude comments-just watch if you go on you can put weight back on-as I said I have never tried it-so good luck
  • tanfit4life
    tanfit4life Posts: 43 Member
    I do portion control eat lots of veg-and watch my calorie intake and that what works-I personally have not tried it-so I can't say- I don't look at my eating as a diet-so I watch my carb intake-I had a friend who did it and seemed ot worked for here=she was not allowed to eat certain things-for me I made good food choices-I don' want someone telling what I can't eat-if I want to lose weight I do 1200 seem to work-and I do workout a lot-I also do protein-thanks for putting question out there -all different choices
  • rustyroof
    rustyroof Posts: 76
    I wouldn't recommend any diet where there is a gain for financial profit, they work for a time but then what ?

I've tried every diet under the sun and my downfall was I hadn't understood what food was all about.

I've read a few books on clean eating and I have to say I feel fuller for longer and I eat at deficient most days. I only go over if I feed myself anything processed, like chocolate, cake..... Yes all the NICE things or so I thought....

Don't see it as a diet, see it as a life style change.

Get cooking !!!

Think caveman..... He didn't have a microwave, sugar or sauces. He used what he killed and what he found growing in the ground, he added flavour with herbs and spices.

You have to enjoy it to accomplish your goal... While you may wants to be thinner, don't you want to be healthy and happy too ?

Good Luck on your journey... :0)
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Atkins has been great for me as far as losing weight and never feeling hungry.I maintain on about 150 carbs if I run a few times a week.

I raised my carbs for 3 months to bulk and gained very quickly, especially since I stopped cardio.

I'm a fan but am going to try low carb/moderate carb cycling to try and keep !my lifts up.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Any one tried atkins diet before ? I've been considering it for a while and might try it this week.

At the moment, how many grams of carbs are you having daily?
  • florenciagysbertha
    florenciagysbertha Posts: 30 Member
    Any one tried atkins diet before ? I've been considering it for a while and might try it this week.

At the moment, how many grams of carbs are you having daily?

It varies ... depending on how many calories I burn, but it tends to be about 150 - 250 gr per day (85% complex carbs)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I wouldn't recommend any diet where there is a gain for financial profit, they work for a time but then what ?

I've read a few books on clean eating

Books that were sold for profit ??

All the info required to follow the Atkins diet is available free on line.
  • The simple eat less calories than you take in does not work sadly. Weight Watchers has a success rate of 4% (they will never tell you that) of people who DO just that, but then you can find research that suggests otherwise. I believe although technologically we are way ahead of where we should be and food is part of that as technology allows corporations to create food faster and cheaper through processing. The problem is bilogically we have not evolved at the same ration. I mean, we still have tonsils and don't need them. Ha. Our physiology is not that different from that of a caveman, features withstanding, and that is why the Caveman diet grew popular. The Caveman diet, the Mediterranean diet, the Blue Print, Atkins... they all hit upon one essential key: high protein and lots of vegetables. That's it. Eat like a caveman. They gathered vegetables and ate meat when fortunate enough to kill a mammal. They did not bake bread or use sugar or process food, etc. I lost sixty pounds in 2 months when cutting out carbs (other than those found in leafy green and less sugar-based veggies like carrots) and am down over 200 lbs at this point in 8 months from diet and surgery. Many will offer advice as I am doing but ultimately our systems are unique and you need to find the balance that allows you to lose. Some can endure slightly more carbs while others eat more than 30 a day and gain. Experiment and work with a nutritionist
  • florenciagysbertha
    I just want to be sure, in phase one do you have to consume at least 345 grams of protein per day ?
  • suziecue66
    I just want to be sure, in phase one do you have to consume at least 345 grams of protein per day ?

No! Where did you get that from? I wouldn't eat more than 150g protein, not sure of your weight.
    Why don't you cut your carbs back to about 120g and see how you go - the drop from 150g-250g will make a difference.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    I really wish I could convince everyone to read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, but I fear it'd be over most people's heads here. :)
    That guy is a quack. Go to youtube and check out his debate with Dean Ornish, it's quite funny.
  • florenciagysbertha

No! Where did you get that from? I wouldn't eat more than 150g protein, not sure of your weight.
    Why don't you cut your carbs back to about 120g and see how you go - the drop from 150g-250g will make a difference.

it says on the atkins website : " It’s worth noting that Atkins guidelines call for at least 4-6 ounces of (weighed uncooked) protein at each meal "
    so I assume that means at least 113 grams per meal ?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Yes. It was awesome. Lost weight pretty effortlessly on it, eating foods that I enjoyed but had serious trouble overeating. And it revolutionized my diet, leading me into a habit of eating far more nutritious foods. Atkins actually lead me to heavily plant-food dependent diet. It also helped me kick all my trigger food habits, except certain sweets.

I've moved on. I never intended to do it forever. But I still carry the imprint. My base diet is heavily based on veggies, meat/seafood, oils/butter, moderate dairy, and fruit. I eat that way now because I love it, not because I "have" to due to a program. Atkins actually helped guide me to my own personal tastes, versus what I was raised on or is popular in society.

Also, unlike some, I had incredible, sustained energy on Atkins once I got past induction. It was pretty amazing. I did tons of grueling workouts while on that program.

I'll always, always be grateful for that program and the lessons I learned on it.
  • suziecue66

it says on the atkins website : " It’s worth noting that Atkins guidelines call for at least 4-6 ounces of (weighed uncooked) protein at each meal "
    so I assume that means at least 113 grams per meal ?

They must be talking about the raw weight of the protein not the actual amount of grams of protein in a piece of meat/protein source. So about 120g raw weight of chicken breast contains about 30g (need to check can't remember off-hand) actual protein. You should consume at least 120-150g actual protein. Whatever suits.
  • florenciagysbertha
    They must be talking about the raw weight of the protein not the actual amount of grams of protein in a piece of meat/protein source. So about 120g raw weight of chicken breast contains about 30g (need to check can't remember off-hand) actual protein. You should consume at least 120-150g actual protein. Whatever suits.

thanks soo much ! :)
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    the fad diets don't work, it may set you up for an eating disorder, I speak from experience, do what you need to do however this site is the healthiest thing I have ever done, I eat anything I want, and with that comes so much freedom, its no more 'I cant have that" I can have anything , within the guidelines that this site has set out for me.

I cant begin to tell you the control I feel now, food doesn't run my life anymore , take care of you , you know yourself best xoxo
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    the fad diets don't work, it may set you up for an eating disorder, I speak from experience, do what you need to do however this site is the healthiest thing I have ever done, I eat anything I want, and with that comes so much freedom, its no more 'I cant have that" I can have anything , within the guidelines that this site has set out for me.

WRONG.

This site doesn't advocate any specific eating program. It's merely a logging tool. The "eat everything, everyday in moderation" perspective is something that many people who use MFP do, but it is NOT an MFP endorsed perspective.

On the front page it's clearly states:

"Flexibility - our system can support any diet like Atkins, the South Beach Diet, the Zone, and more. No matter what diet you're on, we can help."

So please stop confusing your way of losing weight as the "MFP way". It's not.
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Theres no harm in trying it out if you are curious! I dont follow Atkins (I have things like porridge and bananas) but definately find that low carb principles help me to restrict my calories and feel satisfied and energised. This makes me generally more compliant and lose more weight.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Theres no harm in trying it out if you are curious! I dont follow Atkins (I have things like porridge and bananas) but definately find that low carb principles help me to restrict my calories and feel satisfied and energised. This makes me generally more compliant and lose more weight.

Not only that but studies have shown that a low carb / high fat diet has positive results on cholesterol levels - increases HDL's and reduces triglycerides.

Eat fat - lose fat.