Will a 1200 Calorie Diet Screw up Metabolism?

Options
I shared with my mom what my food goals were like and she was quite alarmed saying that it will screw up my metabolism.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Why have you selected a 1200 calorie plan?
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'll point out that we are the same height and weight, but I am 16 years older than you are. I am mostly sedentary, I am losing weight on 1300 calories a day. Even if you're about as active as I am, your metabolism is probably faster.

I see a lot of young people on here trying to eat as little as possible to lose as much weight as possible. I understand that impulse. I've felt it, too.

Maybe it's my age, but I'm increasingly aware of how fragile our bodies are. You need your body for the long haul. So what if it takes a few months longer to lose the weight? You're a healthy weight now. Take it slowly.
  • BrieFit18
    BrieFit18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When you do not consume the proper amount of calories for your body to accurately complete its daily functions, it begins to store fat. No, this does not mean you gain weight right away. The reason for this is because your body begins taking nutrients and stored macromolecules from your muscles and other areas of your body. In other words, you are building up stored fats and losing muscle, and as we know, muscles are heavier than fat. So you lose weight. In this process, your metabolism is also badly damaged and slows down so as soon as you begin eating more again, you will likely gain a lot of the weight back that you lost while on a low calorie-intake diet. Once your metabolism is damaged, it takes a lot of effort to speed it up again. I can't possibly explain the whole thing here, but I recommend that some of you research this yourselves so you can lose weight more effectively. It's honestly as simple as eating healthy and exercising.
  • Beet_Girl
    Beet_Girl Posts: 102
    Options
    You could screw up your metabolism if your body starts consuming muscle along with the fat for energy. Muscle is more metabolically active than fat, so losing muscle will slow down your metabolism. You can minimize this by working out and doing strengthening exercises. Also, make sure you are consuming your daily recommended amount of protein.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Nah, you won't screw it up. But your weight loss may not be optimal, especially since you seem to be active (jumping horses is hard work - I know!). You would be best off plugging your numbers into a TDEE calculator and going for a 20% deficit.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    When you do not consume the proper amount of calories for your body to accurately complete its daily functions, it begins to store fat. No, this does not mean you gain weight right away. The reason for this is because your body begins taking nutrients and stored macromolecules from your muscles and other areas of your body. In other words, you are building up stored fats and losing muscle, and as we know, muscles are heavier than fat. So you lose weight. In this process, your metabolism is also badly damaged and slows down so as soon as you begin eating more again, you will likely gain a lot of the weight back that you lost while on a low calorie-intake diet. Once your metabolism is damaged, it takes a lot of effort to speed it up again. I can't possibly explain the whole thing here, but I recommend that some of you research this yourselves so you can lose weight more effectively. It's honestly as simple as eating healthy and exercising.

2s5xpgm.jpg
  • BrieFit18
    Options

2s5xpgm.jpg
    http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140308214710/epicrapbattlesofhistory/images/6/64/Doctor_Who_yes_2.gif
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

ZRRgh.gif
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

2s5xpgm.jpg
    http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140308214710/epicrapbattlesofhistory/images/6/64/Doctor_Who_yes_2.gif

Yeah no, you can't go so negative that you become positive. It will harm you, but not by making you put on fat.
  • BrieFit18
    Options

ZRRgh.gif

http://eatcleanmakechanges.tumblr.com/calories
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/518807-negative-side-effects-of-eating-less-than-1-200-calories-a-day/
    http://www.burnthefat.com/metabolic_damage.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/metabolism-massacre-7-ways-to-avoid-undermining-fat-loss.html

Here, I did your research for you. I don't understand why people don't get this. On top of these sources, I am a certified nutritionist.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

ZRRgh.gif

http://www.livestrong.com/article/518807-negative-side-effects-of-eating-less-than-1-200-calories-a-day/
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/metabolism-massacre-7-ways-to-avoid-undermining-fat-loss.html

Here, I did your research for you. I don't understand why people don't get this. On top of these sources, I am a certified nutritionist.

Okay certified nutritionist how does a fully grown adult both maintain a heartrate, brain function and their bodytemperature and simultaneously have excess calories in which to store fat while at the same time netting only 1000 calories?

Metabolic damage? yes....fat gain while eating only 1000 calories? No
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    You know I'm reading through those links and I have yet to see a single one of them that says your body stores fat while starving yourself by having a caloric intake significantly below your BMR. Perhaps you can point out the specific part of the article where it says that on any of those links.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    wow you have a cool mom. my mom would never say screw in front of me.

potato.
  • BrieFit18
    Options
    You know I'm reading through those links and I have yet to see a single one of them that says your body stores fat while starving yourself by having a caloric intake significantly below your BMR. Perhaps you can point out the specific part of the article where it says that on any of those links.
    "You should never go under your BMR because it basically means your body don’t have enough calories to function normally so your metabolism slows down and you get energy from your muscle instead of fat (fat main usage is protection. when starving, it gets used after muscle). "

Muscle is used before fat. Therefore, fat is stored until it is absolutely requires. It's not rocket science. I sent you a response through message because all these comments are getting too disorganized.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    "You should never go under your BMR because it basically means your body don’t have enough calories to function normally so your metabolism slows down and you get energy from your muscle instead of fat (fat main usage is protection. when starving, it gets used after muscle). "

Muscle is used before fat. Therefore, fat is stored until it is absolutely requires. It's not rocket science. I sent you a response through message because all these comments are getting too disorganized.

Are you sure its not the other way around O_o
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

ZRRgh.gif

LOL. Just some advice...look more for peer reviewed studies versus articles on websites like LiveStrong.

ETA: Certified nutritionist listing anything other than peer reviewed studies. I hope by certified nutritionist you don't mean registered dietitian
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

That does not claim that muscle gets used BEFORE fat it says muscle gets used in addition to fat. The reason your body starts burning muscle is not to conserve fat for calories (it needs calories) its because if you are that calorically restricted your body is not getting the amino acids it needs and is forced to harvest them catabolically from your muscle. This does NOT result in you gaining fat and at no point does that article say that. The only person who has said that is you. I don't know if your misinterpreting or what but you've got to realize that doesn't make sense. If you are calorically starving and you have a source of fat why would your body store it and not utilize it unless you are literally down to your essential fat which is like 4% BF for a man and 8% or so for a woman
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options

HONEST QUESTION to the nutritionist:

Is English your second language? This article does not say your body PUTS ON more fat. It clearly says it just stops BURNING fat and instead burns muscle. You clearly said earlier that your body will "BUILD UP STORED FATS" by starvation? Pretty sure that article says you don't PUT ON more fat... you just keep what you have & lose the stuff you want: muscle.

Before you start giving people unclear, inaccurate information, it would be a good idea to ensure you understand your cited sources properly.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    "It's not rocket science"

Well you are certainly right there, in fact it isn't science at all. Its either your misinterpretation of something you read or you read some B.S. on the internet. Do you seriously believe this is true? How? Why? It makes zero sense...think about it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you can put on fat during a calorie deficit does that mean I can lose weight with a surplus?