Trying to loosen vice grip on calorie intake. Help please.

Options

Replies

• Jossies01
    Jossies01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would do is throw the scales in the bin and instead visit your local gp once a fortnight and use the scales there, that way you are not focusing on those numbers.
    Then I would add calories slowly, 100 at first for a week or so, weigh in, see what's happening, increase again by another 100 and repeat.
    Increase heavy lifting to build upper body strength.
    Focus on a weight range rather than a set number. Your numbers on the scales will fluctuate from day to day.
    Don't worry about getting fat again! You have proven to yourself that you can lose weight so just give yourself a break and just play around with your calorie intake until you find something you are comfortable with.
  • kliffoth
    kliffoth Posts: 29
    Options
    Well my scale is a Wii Fit board so it'd be silly to trash it... The good thing about it though is I have to turn on the tv, wii, boot up the program so it's not like it's in the bathroom where I'm tempted to step on it every time I pee.

As far as going to the GP every two weeks.... I live in America and I'm not rich. :laugh:

Definitely up for some heavy lifting though. Think I'm going to get a barbell set, LOVED barbells in strength training in highschool.
  • emseedubya
    emseedubya Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other posts, so I'm sorry if this is redundant; if you are eating at a deficit of your maintenance calories, you will never be putting on muscle. The reason you can see your abs now is because your body has eaten away all of the fat that was covering them, not because you have built them bigger. If you've ever seen a body builder during the "bulk" phase they look very pillowy and squishy, they don't have defined muscles like what you see on the stage until they reach their "cut down" phase. You can't cut-down all the time, it's not sustainable and your body will be eating away at your muscles and bones at this stage because you have no fat left. That wreaks havoc on your metabolism!

In saying that, in my admittedly unqualified opinion, you absolutely have crossed the line from weight loss into disordered eating. This terror and paranoia you are feeling is not healthy for your mind and you already know it's not healthy for your body. I think the best thing for you would be to talk to a psychologist who specializes in disordered eating to help give you the tools you need for food and exercise to be a *part* of a full life rather than the only thing filling your life.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd go with a barbell.

Ideally Olympic if you've got the cash, but I wouldn't stress it.

Ideally go second hand, as you'll get more for your buck.
    I got a standard size barbell with 82kg of weight for £32. And that actually included 50kg of them being Olympic weights, so very good deal (I later sold said Olympic weights on for £50)
    You should be able to get a bench from about $20.
    I made my own 'powercage' out of spare wood I had lying around - one pack of screws for about £2 :). However, I've also bought a rack with safety bars to use on my travels that's rated for 250kg for £75 - ones that go up to 150kg are cheaper, or use some builder's tressles and the like.
  • kliffoth
    Options
    Yeah.... there's no room in my apartment for a weight rack so I may have to make due with a set of adjustable dumbbells and a nice bench. They should work well for me and my wife can use them too. Not looking to get superbuff so they should suit my needs fine.

Really excited about this. Thanks for your input so far guys.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    My trainer has me increasing my calories in order to increase my energy levels to support my muscle development goals. It IS a mental challenge to learn to eat more when eating less has been the goal for so long. You have to trust that it will work though and just continue to make adjustments along the way.
  • kliffoth
    Options
    I have a weight bench, set of adjustable dumbbells w/stand, physioball, and plans for upper/lower body workouts coming friday.

You guys have been a big help.

Does anyone know of a good site where I can learn what macros I should be shooting for while bulking/cutting? Thanks in advance.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I have a weight bench, set of adjustable dumbbells w/stand, physioball, and plans for upper/lower body workouts coming friday.

Does anyone know of a good site where I can learn what macros I should be shooting for while bulking/cutting? Thanks in advance.

Read this for macros:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Set your protein a bit higher since you're trying to put on muscle.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    When bulking you would typically set protein LOWER than cutting, not higher.

Your body won't be trying to use protein in place of carbs for energy, so you don't need quite as much because what you have can go straight to the muscle, as such.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

This is the easiest to use.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    When bulking you would typically set protein LOWER than cutting, not higher.

Your body won't be trying to use protein in place of carbs for energy, so you don't need quite as much because what you have can go straight to the muscle, as such.

I've never done a bulk, so I haven't spent hours reading up on it - please enlighten me.

That logic makes sense, sort of, but usually when I see blogs/food diaries from people bulking, they still seem to be eating chicken and veggies (and steak, and protein shakes, with the occasional pint of ice cream thrown in), just in extremely large quantities. You need X amount of calories for energy (which can come from carbs, as you say), but you still need a base amount of protein for your body to properly function. Wouldn't you want more on top of that to aid muscle growth?

Put into macro terms, if 1g/LBM is for cutting, what's for maintenance, and what's for bulking?
  • kliffoth
    Options

This is the easiest to use.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Holy crap! Nice site!
  • geebusuk
    Options
    The people eating protein in extremely large quantities are likely taking anabolic steroids - which allow the body to make use of considerably more protein to build muscle a lot faster.

I've been reading up on bulking recently.
    Something like .7-.9g/lb LBM should do it. However, with bulking calories it's probably also not a big issue to go a bit higher too. My intention when I start a (c)lean bulk is to go for about .8g/lb of total body weight. I'm not 10% BF, so that should easily cover the upper region. Will try not to go too over that just so I get more carbs etc - but won't worry if I do on some days.

I'm not sure your body needs a massive amount of protein to 'function' - fat is more important in that aspect as far as I know.
    Protein is mostly linked with muscle. It's not an optimal energy source, so your body will try to use carbs if it can I believe - while cutting you're short on carbs. While bulking you should have plenty around.
    The levels we are talking about well above WHO guidelines etc.

For the OP - a bit late now, but a barbell isn't about getting 'superbuff', it's about achieving your goals quicker, WHATEVER they are.

A rack doesn't take up much space then a couple of builders trestles can be put away so the bench is probably the biggest thing.
  • kliffoth
    Options
    If I hit my protein, fat, and carb targets for the day and have more calories to eat to hit my target then should I eat more protein, fat, or carbs?

Does the calculator account for all the exercise I do, or do I factor that in as well?
  • kliffoth
    Options

For the OP - a bit late now, but a barbell isn't about getting 'superbuff', it's about achieving your goals quicker, WHATEVER they are.

A rack doesn't take up much space then a couple of builders trestles can be put away so the bench is probably the biggest thing.

It's all good. I REALLY don't have the space though. I'd have to get rid of some furniture, which I will in time. Perhaps I'll get a rack/barbell in the future. I have the bench coming at least. Also I'm not in a rush to get results fast. I'm more looking for a sense of general improvement. I appreciate the explanation though.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Protein is fairly fixed and likely having more won't be of particular benefit. More carbs is likely to be of benefit to replace glycogen used in workouts.

If you've got space for the massive stands your expensive dumbbell things come with, I reckon you'd have had space for a proper setup to be stored too :).
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Well my scale is a Wii Fit board so it'd be silly to trash it... The good thing about it though is I have to turn on the tv, wii, boot up the program so it's not like it's in the bathroom where I'm tempted to step on it every time I pee.

As far as going to the GP every two weeks.... I live in America and I'm not rich. :laugh:

Definitely up for some heavy lifting though. Think I'm going to get a barbell set, LOVED barbells in strength training in highschool.

If you go to your doctor's office & just tell them at the check-in desk that you'd like to use their scale, they'll let you back and not charge a visit. There's nothing billable about stepping on the scale. Someone will likely walk back with you to make sure you don't see or hear any other patient info, but that's it. I do that at my doc's office probably once a month and once every three I have them check my BP. They are happy to do it; they are glad to have a patient who wants to know.

For what it's worth, I'm glad that you came into MFP and asked for help. You are on a very dangerous road where you are right now and I'm glad you want to change it. Best of luck!
  • kliffoth
    Options

If you go to your doctor's office & just tell them at the check-in desk that you'd like to use their scale, they'll let you back and not charge a visit. There's nothing billable about stepping on the scale. Someone will likely walk back with you to make sure you don't see or hear any other patient info, but that's it. I do that at my doc's office probably once a month and once every three I have them check my BP. They are happy to do it; they are glad to have a patient who wants to know.

For what it's worth, I'm glad that you came into MFP and asked for help. You are on a very dangerous road where you are right now and I'm glad you want to change it. Best of luck!

Good to know, thank you.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If I hit my protein, fat, and carb targets for the day and have more calories to eat to hit my target then should I eat more protein, fat, or carbs?

Does the calculator account for all the exercise I do, or do I factor that in as well?

That link I gave you has a bit where you put in how often you exercise per week.
    Once you have done that, it gives you a total amount of calories to eat per day, depending on if you set it to maintain, lose fat or to bulk.