Will a 1200 Calorie Diet Screw up Metabolism?

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Okay this is getting silly.

If your caloric intake is not sufficient to sustain your body (eating significantly below your BMR) then your body will burn fat for calories and reabsorb muscle for 1) essential amino acids and 2) to reduce the amount of calories that your body requires in the future. What your body does NOT do is somehow store extra fat while it is in desperate need of calories because that makes zero sense. Seriously if you were starving to death and someone handed you a bowl of rice would you say to yourself "gee, I had better not eat this I should save it instead because I'm starving". No, no you wouldn't and neither does your body.

If you continue on this dangerously low calorie diet your muscle will continue to be essentially digested by your body along with fat. As your lean mass drops along with your mass your metabolic rate will drop meaning that your BMR will drop and your body will burn less and less calories until either

1) you reach homeostasis with your caloric intake
    2) You start suffering from severe malnutrition and your body starts to shut down.

At no point during this process do you gain or store additional fat. No...no no no no no.

Is starving yourself a bad idea? Yeah. Is starving yourself going to make you fatter? No.

You are completely correct, and that is exactly what I was saying. At no point did I ever say you would get fatter.All I said was that your body holds onto the fat the it already contains and uses less important sources of fuel first. I said that by starving yourself your metabolism will be damaged and once you start eating normal amounts again you will more than likely gain weight BECAUSE of your damaged metabolism. You do not gain weight from starving yourself. You are just setting yourself up for gaining weight in the future.

I think the confusion is your use of the phrase "fat is stored" which to most people means new fat tissue is being made/fat cells getting bigger/ etc.

what you meant was muscle is burned in preference to fat.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    When you do not consume the proper amount of calories for your body to accurately complete its daily functions, it begins to store fat. No, this does not mean you gain weight right away. The reason for this is because your body begins taking nutrients and stored macromolecules from your muscles and other areas of your body. In other words, you are building up stored fats and losing muscle, and as we know, muscles are heavier than fat. So you lose weight. In this process, your metabolism is also badly damaged and slows down so as soon as you begin eating more again, you will likely gain a lot of the weight back that you lost while on a low calorie-intake diet. Once your metabolism is damaged, it takes a lot of effort to speed it up again. I can't possibly explain the whole thing here, but I recommend that some of you research this yourselves so you can lose weight more effectively. It's honestly as simple as eating healthy and exercising.

Actually that is what you said.

Specifically this part:

"When you do not consume the proper amount of calories for your body to accurately complete its daily functions, it begins to store fat. "

Perhaps you used the wrong phrase and were not saying what you meant when you said that. But you cannot "begin" to store something if it is not in addition to what you already have so people read that and rightfully assumed that you mean that people under starvation conditions put on fat...because that is what that sentence means.

you also said

"you are building up stored fats "

Again...how do you "build up" without gaining. This once again states that the person in this condition would be adding additional fat...that's what "building up" means.

Just take that part back or rephrase it and I doubt anyone would have a problem with the rest of what you said.
  • BrieFit18
    BrieFit18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Okay this is getting silly.

If your caloric intake is not sufficient to sustain your body (eating significantly below your BMR) then your body will burn fat for calories and reabsorb muscle for 1) essential amino acids and 2) to reduce the amount of calories that your body requires in the future. What your body does NOT do is somehow store extra fat while it is in desperate need of calories because that makes zero sense. Seriously if you were starving to death and someone handed you a bowl of rice would you say to yourself "gee, I had better not eat this I should save it instead because I'm starving". No, no you wouldn't and neither does your body.

If you continue on this dangerously low calorie diet your muscle will continue to be essentially digested by your body along with fat. As your lean mass drops along with your mass your metabolic rate will drop meaning that your BMR will drop and your body will burn less and less calories until either

1) you reach homeostasis with your caloric intake
    2) You start suffering from severe malnutrition and your body starts to shut down.

At no point during this process do you gain or store additional fat. No...no no no no no.

Is starving yourself a bad idea? Yeah. Is starving yourself going to make you fatter? No.

You are completely correct, and that is exactly what I was saying. At no point did I ever say you would get fatter.All I said was that your body holds onto the fat the it already contains and uses less important sources of fuel first. I said that by starving yourself your metabolism will be damaged and once you start eating normal amounts again you will more than likely gain weight BECAUSE of your damaged metabolism. You do not gain weight from starving yourself. You are just setting yourself up for gaining weight in the future.

I think the confusion is your use of the phrase "fat is stored" which to most people means new fat tissue is being made/fat cells getting bigger/ etc.

what you meant was muscle is burned in preference to fat.

I know, they misunderstood what I was saying and I could have worded it better but it's too late for that now.
  • willjean
    willjean Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You know I'm reading through those links and I have yet to see a single one of them that says your body stores fat while starving yourself by having a caloric intake significantly below your BMR. Perhaps you can point out the specific part of the article where it says that on any of those links.
    "You should never go under your BMR because it basically means your body don’t have enough calories to function normally so your metabolism slows down and you get energy from your muscle instead of fat (fat main usage is protection. when starving, it gets used after muscle). "

Muscle is used before fat. Therefore, fat is stored until it is absolutely requires. It's not rocket science. I sent you a response through message because all these comments are getting too disorganized.

Thanks for referring to those links. I learned a lot. I was one of those people that has been eating less than my BMR and working out 5 days a week but eating under my BMR is gonna stop today. :)
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    One would actually gain knowledge by ignoring all info shared on this thread
  • BrieFit18
    Options
    When you do not consume the proper amount of calories for your body to accurately complete its daily functions, it begins to store fat. No, this does not mean you gain weight right away. The reason for this is because your body begins taking nutrients and stored macromolecules from your muscles and other areas of your body. In other words, you are building up stored fats and losing muscle, and as we know, muscles are heavier than fat. So you lose weight. In this process, your metabolism is also badly damaged and slows down so as soon as you begin eating more again, you will likely gain a lot of the weight back that you lost while on a low calorie-intake diet. Once your metabolism is damaged, it takes a lot of effort to speed it up again. I can't possibly explain the whole thing here, but I recommend that some of you research this yourselves so you can lose weight more effectively. It's honestly as simple as eating healthy and exercising.

Specifically this part:

"When you do not consume the proper amount of calories for your body to accurately complete its daily functions, it begins to store fat. "

Perhaps you used the wrong phrase and were not saying what you meant when you said that. But you cannot "begin" to store something if it is not in addition to what you already have so people read that and rightfully assumed that you mean that people under starvation conditions put on fat...because that is what that sentence means.

you also said

Again...how do you "build up" without gaining. This once again states that the person in this condition would be adding additional fat...that's what "building up" means.

Just take that part back or rephrase it and I doubt anyone would have a problem with the rest of what you said.

Yes, this is what I have been trying to tell people. My wording was off, and I have corrected it many times now.
  • BrieFit18
    Options
    You know I'm reading through those links and I have yet to see a single one of them that says your body stores fat while starving yourself by having a caloric intake significantly below your BMR. Perhaps you can point out the specific part of the article where it says that on any of those links.
    "You should never go under your BMR because it basically means your body don’t have enough calories to function normally so your metabolism slows down and you get energy from your muscle instead of fat (fat main usage is protection. when starving, it gets used after muscle). "

Muscle is used before fat. Therefore, fat is stored until it is absolutely requires. It's not rocket science. I sent you a response through message because all these comments are getting too disorganized.

Thanks for referring to those links. I learned a lot. I was one of those people that has been eating less than my BMR and working out 5 days a week but eating under my BMR is gonna stop today. :)

Thank you, I'm glad someone understood :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Specifically this part:

you also said

Yes, this is what I have been trying to tell people. My wording was off, and I have corrected it many times now.

Well alright then. You can edit your comment and correct the mistake. I think people just baulked at having misinformation posted so high up in the thread that might confuse someone who only read part of the thread.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Uh oh....work out time

*poof*
  • angel5561
    angel5561 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    :noway: wow Just wow
  • angel5561
    Options

Specifically this part:

you also said

I got it the first time lol
  • looshyloo
    Options

Muscle is DENSER than fat. Meaning, to scale, fat takes up more volume than muscle.
  • willjean
    willjean Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, I got right away. Thanks again. :)
  • angel5561
    Options
    The moral of this thread is eat more than 1200 calories and word things correctly or the mfp police will get you ...THE END :drinker:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The moral of this thread is eat more than 1200 calories and word things correctly or the mfp police will get you ...THE END :drinker:

tumblr_m4qffwnOsy1rwcc6bo1_250.gif
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    :noway: wow Just wow
    I'll triple that. :ohwell:
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and weight 295lbs.. I ride horses as well, but am into Dressage and will jump when I lose a huge amount of weight. I eat 1250-1550 calories. This depends on my exercise habit that week. Some days I am busting out HUGE numbers and other days I am doing it slower (injured leg). I can say that 1200 will not mess up your metabolism, but it will make you extremely hungry and in bad mood mode. I eat all over the board in calories ( from the 1250-1550) because it keeps my body not getting use to everything I am doing with it, I have plateaued a TON of times as I kept it the same old boring routine and eating habit. But I wish you luck in your journey.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    OP: your question can't actually be answered without any info about yourself like height, weight, dieting history, activity level, exercise volume.

1200 cals may be fine for a sedentary 4'10" woman but it certainly won't be enough for an exercising 6' man for example.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Hey all had a chance to talk with Brie in PM's. She didn't ask me to do this but I wanted to apologize for my part in totally derailing this thread. She had an error in her wording, the response (myself including) was worded in a rather mocking way that clearly put her on the defensive and made any real conversation impossible. Totally derailed the topic away from what the OP was asking.

If instead I (we) had just phrased it as "Oh yeah totally Brie, I agree except I'd add one thing and say people don't GAIN fat in that situation just their body starts to tear down muscle" she probably would have chimed in positively and things would have moved on.

So just wanted to give a Mea culpa for my part in all that and blame it on hormone imbalance from not enough eating. Peace.