The 'fat' gene-thoughts

Options
Hi
I just wondered what everybodies thoughts were on the 'fat' gene?

I got this articale from The Times Online.

A gene that contributes to obesity has been identified for the first time, promising to explain why some people easily put on weight while others with similar lifestyles stay slim.

People who inherit one version of the gene rather than another are 70 per cent more likely to be obese, British scientists have discovered. One in six people has the most vulnerable genetic make-up and weighs an average 3kg more than those with the lowest risk. They also have 15 per cent more body fat.

The findings provide the first robust link between a common gene and obesity, and could eventually lead to new ways of tackling one of the most significant causes of ill health in the developed world. One in four British adults is classified as obese, and half of men and a third of women are overweight.

Obesity is a main cause of heart disease, cancer and type 2 diabetes. An adviser to the Government’s health spending watchdog said recently that the condition was a bigger national danger than smoking, alcohol or poverty.

Replies

• amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I just wondered what everybodies thoughts were on the 'fat' gene?

I got this articale from The Times Online.

A gene that contributes to obesity has been identified for the first time, promising to explain why some people easily put on weight while others with similar lifestyles stay slim.

People who inherit one version of the gene rather than another are 70 per cent more likely to be obese, British scientists have discovered. One in six people has the most vulnerable genetic make-up and weighs an average 3kg more than those with the lowest risk. They also have 15 per cent more body fat.

The findings provide the first robust link between a common gene and obesity, and could eventually lead to new ways of tackling one of the most significant causes of ill health in the developed world. One in four British adults is classified as obese, and half of men and a third of women are overweight.

Obesity is a main cause of heart disease, cancer and type 2 diabetes. An adviser to the Government’s health spending watchdog said recently that the condition was a bigger national danger than smoking, alcohol or poverty.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I really never thought about it . I am going to do some reading on it. Thank you for bringing it up.
  • RiverCameron
    RiverCameron Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Something a TV doctor said about this has always stayed with me. She said "Genetics may load the gun, but lifestyle pulls the trigger." So yes, i firmly believe some people have a much harder time, and being one of them I can say from the bottom of my heart that it's SO not fair, but those are the cards I was dealt and the ones I have to play. I can't change my genetics but I can recognize them, work with them as best I can, and most importantly and difficultly, not get down on myself when the work doesn't seem to give the same results others brag about. My genetics, more than determining my weight, make it very difficult to keep my momentum and motivation, and they make it very easy to get discouraged.
    BUT, I also got some great things genetically so I'd still rather be me, genes that make weight hard to lose and all.

Rose
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I have a few different thoughts about this subject. First of all I think anybody can be thin, no matter what their genetics, through diet and exercise. I think that your surrounding has more to do with how fat you are than genetics. You see fat people with fat kids, think about it the kids probable eat the same thing that the parents do. If the parents have a "fat" life style, more than likely so do the kids. I also see tons of thin parents with chubby kids, because we live in a time where most people give their kids what ever they want just to make them happy (exp. I have a friend who's 1 yr old will only drink chocholate milk, that's just crazy. The kid is 1 it shouldn't have a choice.) But if you look at my family I have 3 children with very different body styles. My oldest is tall and thin, Her bones don't stick out but she is thin, she is about 5 ft 1in and 100 pound at 11 years old. My middle is short and stocky, she is also thin with no fat, but has more muscular body where you can just see every muscule in on her she's 4 and a half feet and weighs about 72 lb. Now our baby is what makes me wonder about the fat gene. He's not "fat" but he is definately huskey. He is 4 ft and weights 75 He is muscular, because he does get tons of exercise (we live out in the country with no TV), but he does have extra body fat. We have always been good about monitoring what goes in our kids mouths and he has the same eating habits as our girls, but for some reason he puts on body fat.

So I do think that there is some genetic link to fatness, but I feel that environment has more to do with it.

Anna
  • amandagreen1980
    Options
    Rose
    I think you have just described my exact thoughts on the issue very eloquently!!

I think there is something in it but it is also lifestyle, and there definately is something we can do about it, I think a lot of people use this as an excuse to be overweight and not even try to get healthy and do something about it.

I will remember that phrase about the gun, its great!
  • amandagreen1980
    Options
    annaschaben
    Yes i agree too!

My sister and i are completely different body shapes, we always have been.

She eats way more than me, and rubbish too, she has never had to be on a diet and wouldn't know where to start. She doesn't exercise at all, (apart from the usual that goes with having two kids!) but she is tall and thin!! :explode: She doesn't think one little bit about what goes in her mouth!

She can't understand it either, but thats life i suppose!

One thing this website has made me think about though, is that although i weigh a lot more than my sister i would almost certainly bet that she has more body fat % than me and i would say i am a lot healthier! I try to get her to eat healthy but she just isn't interested at the moment!
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    :sad: fat gene is right why do i need to take on my daddy's side of the family why not my 90 pound mother instead!!!!!!!:cry:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If I showed you a picture from my Dad's family Christmas party, you would think I am skinny. I knew growing up that I was going to have to battle genetics & lifestyle. I have a very compulsive aspect to my personality (good thing I don't drink) and I am learning to channel that from food to exercise.

I don't think it's the classc Nature v. Nurture, I think it's how you nurture your nature!