hungry all the time

Options
Hi there I started my diet 3 days ago and started insanity last night and im hungry all the time. Before I would only have 1 meal a day which consisted of alot of fatty foods like burgers chips etc. Im currently eating around 2000 calories with a ratio off 55 carb 20 fat 25 protein. Why am I more hungry now eating 5 healthy meals as apposed to 1 unhealthy meal? Im a 31 year old guy 233 lbs 6ft 1".
Yhanks

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed so we can't see what you're actually eating.

A 55% carb diet would give me a blood sugar roller coaster and gnawing hunger, try 35 protein and 30 fat - the filling foods.
  • HaelaBaer
    HaelaBaer Posts: 44
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Water will help when you're craving food. Also, be sure to choose healthy foods. You can eat a lot of raw spinach for very little calories. It takes your body longer to digest raw foods too, leaving you feeling fuller.

Sometimes it helps to get involved in something taking your mind off eating. Are you exercising?
  • gsheppy
    gsheppy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Your only in day 3. Give your body a chance to adjust to the new way of eating. Eating small meals 5/6 times a day is a good start. Raw vegs help low calorie and good for you.

Good luck
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating more meals in a day? Not necessary. Three sit-down healthy, balanced, filling meals is fine. Snacking will make your tummy want to eat constantly, and your blood sugar go crazy, too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Give yourself time to adjust to eating differently. It took me about 2 weeks to get through being hungry all the time.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would say lower your carb percentage a little and increase your protein. Protein helps with satiety...keep hunger at bay. Try it a day or two. Good luck.
  • FlexinHenrique94
    Options
    Maybe it's because you're only on day 3? Lol. Most people react differently, and that's just the reaction your mind and your body is giving to you. Drink more liquids, eat more protein and veggies to make you full... you know, the usual stuff.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating more meals in a day? Not necessary. Three sit-down healthy, balanced, filling meals is fine. Snacking will make your tummy want to eat constantly, and your blood sugar go crazy, too.

Respectfully, this is totally incorrect. Eating small meals more frequently can help keep your blood sugar steady, help you avoid feeling overly hungry so that you don't eat too much later.

OP, how many calories are you eating and how much is protein, carbs, fat? You may have cut back your calories too severely for your weight/height.

Working out can make you hungry. You need to figure out if you are TRULY hungry or if you are emotionally hungry. Physical hunger builds slowly, your stomach grumbles, etc. You will eat an apple or other healthy food when you are truly physically hungry. When you are emotionally hungry, you crave specific things, it comes on quickly, and when you eat something, you still feel hungry. You might also not be drinking enough water.

I would recommend eating something high carb and low fat before your workout (fruit smoothie, banana, yogurt, etc.) and then eating right after your workout - something with complex carbs and protein (eggs and whole wheat toast, PBJ on wheat, with a glass of milk, etc. Then eat another meal 2-3 hours later, with protein, carbs and healthy fat (salad with avocado and chicken/protein, veggies and beans, soup and sandwich, chicken and brown rice, fruit, etc.) and then have a substantial snack between lunch and dinner (cottage cheese with fruit, turkey and cheese roll ups, hummus and veggies, protein shake made with skim milk, etc.) Try to make dinner your lightest meal if you can since you won't be burning off what you eat as much at the end of the day, but make sure you are again getting protein, carbs and healthy fats. These suggestions were given to me by a sports scientist/nutritionist. They may help you.

In the end, it's mostly calories in and calories out, but balancing your macros, eating enough, staying hydrated and knowing the difference between physical and emotional hunger might be helpful to you. There is no reason to be hungry all the time in order to lose weight.