At home weight lifting ideas?

Options
npostemni
npostemni Posts: 102 Member
I want to start lifting weights but I'm not sure where to start. I don't have a gym membership and I can't really afford one. I'm looking for at home workout videos (ones I can find on YouTube or check out at the library).
I have a set of 3 lb weights, 5 pound weights, and 10 pound weights.

I am currently doing a push-up, plank and squat challenge. But any videos or suggestions would be awesome!

Replies

• lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have been doing weighted squats... with my son as the weight. :laugh:

mostly for fun tho.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Read Starting Strength and/or New Rules of Lifting and decide if you want to start really lifting. It's worth the cost of having the equipment at home.
  • missttl
    missttl Posts: 5
    Options
    I suggest you combine a Tabata style workout with using your weights. You can get the Tabata app on your iPhone and set the timer to give you the 20 seconds work 10 seconds rest intervals, then decide how many you want to do (usually 5 or 8) and of these rounds how many you want to repeat (usually start at 3 and build up to 8)
    Each segment of 20s on 10s off can be one exercise repeated in a very fast way, fast enough to keep decent form, but to also raise your heart rate and make you go out of breath.
    You can do plyometrics such as split jumps, star jumps, box jumps, squats like jump squats, rock bottom squats, squat around the clock, you can do upperbody work with your dumbells or you can invest in a set of kettle bells and do shoulder press, lateral raise, frontal raise, punch-push, if you have a staircase, you can also do drills like running up and down the stairs.
    Make it fun a varied and get sweating. Good luck.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Jilian Michaels has great videos that use smaller hand weights...30 Day shred, extreme shed and shred, ripped in 30 and they can usually be bought at walmart for under 10$

Or

fitnessblender.com has 1000's of workouts all free
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Here is a starter workout...only 10 mins but you can do it more than once if you like or just cardio after this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pcaD3wInqM
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    AthLean-X on youtube has a whole bunch of video's and workouts you can do from home. He gives alot of detail on proper form and how to get the most out of your workouts.

I saw you do planks, he has a whole workout on different plank variations as well, must see great workout.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Does your library have Chalene Extreme? Its a GREAT program
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have been doing weighted squats... with my son as the weight. :laugh:

mostly for fun tho.

Cute! Totally doing this tonight with my 3 year old. :smile:
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to start Body Beast. I feel a program will be easiest for me to follow - otherwise, I don't know where to start. :Flowerforyou:
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Similar to JM, but w/o all the yelling (lol) http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ashley-conrads-21-day-clutch-cut.html

If u can't do pullups, a good alternative you can use is a dumbbell lat pulldown. There should be a video on the site showing how to do it if you're not sure.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Read Starting Strength and/or New Rules of Lifting and decide if you want to start really lifting. It's worth the cost of having the equipment at home.

I highly recommend New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. An awesome book full of information and lifting exercises. There is even a bit of info on doing it at home. I just started it at home and have had no issues. Now I will say that I have a weight bench with a bar and plate weights along with multiple dumbbells. I haven't used the bar/bench yet because I've been doing the alternative for those few exercises which use a bar/bench. It will come out of hiding next week though. Many are in the book or can be found on YouTube by searching for a vidoe on the specific exercise.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Decide exactly what you wish to achieve through weight training first. This is critical information for people to know before they offer you exercise advice.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
  • princessnuriko
    princessnuriko Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Kelly Coffey-Meyer makes weight lifting DVD for women using free weights. You use 7, 10, 12, and 15 pounds depending on your level of fitness. I have about 7 of her DVDs. Some of them are mixed with some cardio moves for about three minutes and then switches to weight training. I started using them in December 2013 and I love it. She also has a modifier to show modified of version of what she is doing. Men can do the DVDs too, but it's mostly gear towards women to show them that lifting isn't just for guys. Each workout is 30 minutes with two workouts on the DVDs. She also has premixes which is cool when you want to switch it up. They range between $10 to $20 bucks, worth the money because of the premixes. She positive and encouraging. Plus she's 50 with a body of a 25 year old. You can You Tube preview some of her DVDs to check and see which ones you like before ordering.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I highly recommend New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. An awesome book full of information and lifting exercises. There is even a bit of info on doing it at home. I just started it at home and have had no issues. Now I will say that I have a weight bench with a bar and plate weights along with multiple dumbbells. I haven't used the bar/bench yet because I've been doing the alternative for those few exercises which use a bar/bench. It will come out of hiding next week though. Many are in the book or can be found on YouTube by searching for a vidoe on the specific exercise.

This x10. NROL for Women is a great resource.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness , get a set of light dumbbells or resistance bands

There are hundreds of exercises you can perform at home with them . Search online for home workouts with resistance bands and dumbbells
  • flyygirl802
    flyygirl802 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has several videos that have weights like the ones you have. Most of these are offered even through your library (at least mine has them). The one she has that is specifically for weight lifting is called "Shred It With Weights". All of hers use them, but this video is more focused on them than the others.

Another really good one is Les Mills Pump. It is sold through Beachbody.com and the entire package can be costly. You can often find it for cheaper being sold on ebay though. The whole program is 8-12 dvds and they even send you the weights/equipment you need.
  • jklamb57
    jklamb57 Posts: 9
    Options
    Here is a place you could start:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit/videos?flow=grid&sort=p&view=0

There are thousands of free videos to choose from pick one you like. You can always refine and target specific muscles later. I noticed Jillian was mentioned above and she has a number of free ones in the link I attached.
    ( Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2ssgjdIts )

Just remember if you start increasing weight or you are doing a motion that is creating joint pain, back off. Muscle soreness is a good thing but joint pain is not.