Not eating all my calories in case I binge. Anyone else?

Options
I joined MFP just under a month ago - my calories were swinging at around 1700-2400 per day .... mostly fast food, quick snacks. At first, I decided just to monitor what I was eating... to see how bad my habits were.

At one point about 10 days ago I had eaten my calories for the day, but then I felt a major craving for sugar... and stuffed about 8 chocolate bars in one go.... nearly 1000 cals. I felt sick afterwards and incredibly guilty and angry for being so stupid and weak willed.

So I've removed the chocolate and bad nasties (although not easy as my sister with whom I live is naturallyskinny and likes full fat cream, milk and lots of fatty meats).

My food is now between 1000-1100 cals a day (or less with net calories as I also walk the dogs an hour a day). My diet is now yoghurt, fresh fruit, smoked salmon, lean meats, lots of green veggies with limited carbs - wholemeal muffins, cous cous, swede and carrots - with green tea, coffee and occasional treats - eg a small chocice from tescos is only 95 cals!

I guess I am too scared to eat anything bad in case another binge grips me and I am avoiding chocolate too as that seems to be the trigger.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? eg not eating all the calories in case a binge grabs you?

Replies

• equestrian_girl
    Options
    For me it doesn't seem to matter what I ate or didn't eat that day, when I get a craving for bad food, and after like half an hour of trying to fight it off, I will go WAY out of my way to get what I want!! Will walk to get the pizza, or to the cornerstore to get the chips/chocolate/candy/ice cream or go to a restaurant alone to get the deep fried whatever....

I do find that if I go too long without food, like say too much time between lunch and dinner or snack and dinner, I am ESPECIALLY vulnerable to seeking out the bad food!! So in my opinion it's best to come as close to your calorie goal for the day as possible.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods. Being in a calorie deficit is what makes a person lose weight. Denying yourself certain foods (without a medical basis) is a recipe for bingeing.

This link will help you find clarity on some misconceptions we have about losing weight:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ah no.

and you are more apt to binge on 1000-1100 calories a day...

and you are more apt to binge by elimnating the food you love...

and it is saying no to 8 chocolate bars and eating 1...

being scared to eat something is not a healthy way to live...learning moderation is.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    No way! That doesn't sound healthy at all.

I have my calorie goal set for a reason.

I try to get as close as I can without going over. I usually have under 100 calories remaining each week day which leaves me a little extra room on the weekends to go over and still make my weekly calorie goal.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    ah no.

being scared to eat something is not a healthy way to live...learning moderation is.

^^This

Cutting out what you love to eat will make you want it even more and that is when you binge, I know I have been there. It's moderation in the things you love like chocolate.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    No way, I eat all my daily calories.

I exercise so I can eat more and still maintain a healthy deficit.

Just try and take my chocolate away!
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    No way, I eat all my daily calories.

I exercise so I can eat more and still maintain a healthy deficit.

Just try and take my chocolate away!

This... I would beat someone for taking my chocolate away! Anyway... No, eat all your dailies. Up your intake 1000 calories is not enough. I'm not quite 5'3", weigh about 137 -143 (I bounce around and don't even care) ,active - run regularly, do yoga, etc. I eat anywhere from 1400 to 1700 a day, more on long run days because I need it, less if I'm up a few pounds and want to get back down. I can lose at 1400 calories with little to no exercise. You're not eating enough and depriving yourself is just setting yourself up to binge.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    That's backward. You should eat all your calories so you DON'T binge. By leaving yourself a cushion, aren't you just saying, "I've got all these calories saved, lemme eat a ton"??????
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The key to avoiding binging is to give your body what it wants before you get ravenously hungry. Also, eat foods that you wont binge on.

If you are craving a piece of sugar at night, try having a piece of fruit. People usually don't binge on peaches the way they binge on chocolate. And the sugar in the peach is minimal, but it's enough to keep you satisfied. It doesn't hurt to get a load of micro-nutrients, fiber and anti-oxidants, too.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You need to learn to eat like a sane grown-up. That means you need to eat real food in appropriate amounts, including candy bars once in a while. You will not do it by eating too little food on a regular basis so that you can be crazy with candy bars.

I know this sounds a little harsh, but, from the way you describe it, your relationship with and attitudes about food sound really unhealthy. Work on that if you want to lose weight and become more fit and healthy for life.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    ah no.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    No way!
    I fit in the foods I love, and use portion control. If you deprive yourself, it will only make it worse. Learn how to eat what you love, but in moderation!!!!!! Learn how to fit these foods into your day. depriving yourself is a recipe for disaster
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    What you are doing is actually more likely to cause a binge.

Eat your calories.

Don't cut out the foods you love.

When I ate too few calories (1350 when I started and before I learned about BMR and TDEE) and tried to cut out carbs (South Beach), I did fine for about a month. And then the cravings hit and I binged and totally fell off the wagon. I have found that doing such extremes is the number one way to fail.
  • pebbe
    pebbe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've included treats into my daily calories... but finding it hard to eat them all ... even with the treats. My calories are supposed to be 1200 cals but I seem to be around 100+ cals under for the past 3-4 days
    200 cals for breakfast (eg yoghurt/fruit, or 1/2 muffin with smoked salmon and low fat cream cheese)
    100 cals mid-morning snack - banana
    250 cals lunch (1/2 muffin with low fat bacon and cream cheese or eggs on toast)
    150 cals mid-afternoon snack - mini cake and tea or yoghurt and fruit
    300 cals - dinner (eg pork + veg stir fry with cous cous, or chicken fajitas with lots of veggies)
    100 cals - dessert - low fat yoghurt or choc-ice

and an occasional banana on top while I'm walking....
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods. Being in a calorie deficit is what makes a person lose weight. Denying yourself certain foods (without a medical basis) is a recipe for bingeing.

This link will help you find clarity on some misconceptions we have about losing weight:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

:noway:
    Their is sooooo many things wrong with the first phrase but I will stay out of it because I know the debate will never end.

In my opinion(have to say that because this is based on experience and not a degree) For effective results eating healthier will not only get you there quicker but you'll feel better day in and day out. But you should treat yourself once in a while, you deserve it . And eating at a deficit is necessary but I think your deficit is way to high....
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Why are your calories set to 1200? How many pounds do you have left to lose?

Often when people set too aggressive a goal (say setting MFP to 2 lbs when they have only 20 lbs to lose), MFP will default to 1200 calories as that is the lowest it will go. If you have less than 100 lbs to lose you should be aiming for less than 2 lbs per week for a more sustainable weight loss.

Try setting a lower goal so you have more calories to play with. It will slow your loss, but it will also give you more food each day and maybe help with the urge to binge as you'll have room for the occasional (or not so occasional ;) ) treat.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options

:noway:
    Their is sooooo many things wrong with the first phrase but I will stay out of it because I know the debate will never end.

In my opinion(have to say that because this is based on experience and not a degree) For effective results eating healthier will not only get you there quicker but you'll feel better day in and day out. But you should treat yourself once in a while, you deserve it . And eating at a deficit is necessary but I think your deficit is way to high....

I agree with you completely :) Just for debate's sake.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're eating way too little, of course you're going to binge.

But I get what you're saying - I make my goal a bit lower so I don't feel bad on the days I am hungry and go a bit over.
  • pebbe
    pebbe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies and advice. My choccy binge 10 days ago made me 900 cals over my "maintaining" allowance and up until that time, all my days had also been around the maintaining weight allowance while I adjusted my eating habits.

I've seen some posts to say they "save" the calories for a little blow out at the end of the week... so I am allowing myself treats and want to allow myself a slight deficit during the week, so that I can enjoy the occasional evening out with family and friends going to the local pub and having something a little bit cheeky and calorific without going too over the top (maybe just the main and avoid the pudding)

Hopefully the realisation that I CAN have healthy food and the occasional snack will stop me binging.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who say eating too few calories are setting up a binge. Your body is probably trying to tell you it's not getting what it needs! A profound food-related reaction to starvation dieting isn't unusual. I wouldn't starve for a weekend binge for any reason. Food is nice to eat but it's also fuel to function! This sounds so awful. The guilt and starvation doesn't sound like a very good time. How about fitting in a couple treats, guilt free, everyday in your calorie balance? It would be better to lose slowly than the whole thing be so harsh.