New to MFP with some questions!

Options
Hi there,

I'm new to MFP, but not new to weightoss. I did Jenny craig and lost 42 lbs. I kept if off for a while, gained back 7 and was trying to loose that when I broke my foot in September! I then managed to gain an additional 16 lbs. Now I'm injury free, back to running and need to drop those extra pounds. I'll be running my first full marathon in November that has a 5 hour time limit. I need to drop the extra pounds, not only to feel good again, but to have less to haul around for 42.2 Km! (I'm Canadian eh?!?! lol.)

Anyway, this is my question. I have a BMF and it shows that I tend to burn a large amount of calories. I'm having trouble figuring out a good deficit. If I can get help with this I would really appreciate it. I'm at such a loss. I figure my body can really only use so much. Do I need to hit a certain calorie target? Or just eat until I'm satisified? You'd think I would have this figured out by now, but since I started running, I really don't. I'm always holding on to my weight. There are days that I burn 3000 calories. Should I really eat 2500 or is that too much?? Can my body really use that??? Agh!! I hate being confused.

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I tend to try and balance out the calories I eat over the week. That keeps me from eating crazy amounts on run days (when I tend to be less hungry anyway) and very little the other days. It also helps my body learn the "right" amount of food to eat for my average activity level.

You should definitely eat back your exercise calories as you need to fuel your runs - just use the deficit MFP gives you and see what happens to your weight over 6 weeks.

I'd also eat at maintenance the month or so before your marathon so you don't go into it glycogen-depleted.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    trogalicious really nailed it!! good luck!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Welcome here! And...

/end thread...

after what Trog wrote - no one could say it better!
    Eta... And Varda.. She had some great points too!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Welcome here! And...

/end thread...

after what Trog wrote - no one could say it better!
    Eta... And Varda.. She had some great points too!

Mine was more of a TL;DR of Trog's.
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have a Body Media Link, and some days, it says I have burned over 3,000 calories (I am also 234lbs....). Those are my workout days, more like 2500-2600 on normal days. Even the body media website says that these things are ABOUT 90% accurate. So, I have to figure that this thing might be off by 200-300 calories. If you are showing a 3000 burn, I think you could safely eat 2100-2200. For me, I rarely get there. On a high burn day, I am closer to 1700-1800. Closer to 1500 on a lower day. I've lost 11lbs in a little over a month. (been here longer...but really stared trying more recently...:blushing: ) I would say just to eat until you are satisfied!

ETA: Just calculated my TDEE again, to check the accuracy....My body media on a average day ready around 2500 (without exercise) and my TDEE is about 2533....I'd say mine is right on!
  • running4myboys
    running4myboys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help. I do appreciate it! And yes Varda I do want to be at maitnance in time for training! Whatever that may be when the time comes. :)

Trogalicious - totally willing to listen to anyone who has successfully lost over 150 lbs. Congratulations!

Yes, I have a food school. I am a stay at home mom, a part time student and runner who REALLY needs to include some resistance training in her regime.

I do own a food scale and weigh/measure everything.
  • running4myboys
    Options
    I have a Body Media Link, and some days, it says I have burned over 3,000 calories (I am also 234lbs....). Those are my workout days, more like 2500-2600 on normal days. Even the body media website says that these things are ABOUT 90% accurate. So, I have to figure that this thing might be off by 200-300 calories. If you are showing a 3000 burn, I think you could safely eat 2100-2200. For me, I rarely get there. On a high burn day, I am closer to 1700-1800. Closer to 1500 on a lower day. I've lost 11lbs in a little over a month. (been here longer...but really stared trying more recently...:blushing: ) I would say just to eat until you are satisfied!

ETA: Just calculated my TDEE again, to check the accuracy....My body media on a average day ready around 2500 (without exercise) and my TDEE is about 2533....I'd say mine is right on!

Sweet. And then if I'm understanding this whole TDEE thing you aim for about 20% less right?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help. I do appreciate it! And yes Varda I do want to be at maitnance in time for training! Whatever that may be when the time comes. :)

Trogalicious - totally willing to listen to anyone who has successfully lost over 150 lbs. Congratulations!

Yes, I have a food school. I am a stay at home mom, a part time student and runner who REALLY needs to include some resistance training in her regime.

I do own a food scale and weigh/measure everything.

I do BodyWeight/Callesthenics/Pilates. I'll let you know next February how it's going for me :happy:

Do you have access to a gym or weights?
  • likitisplit
    Options

Sweet. And then if I'm understanding this whole TDEE thing you aim for about 20% less right?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

20% is a good starting point, yes.
  • running4myboys
    Options

Thanks very much! Sorry for the slow reply. Is there anyway to get notification of new posts in a thread?

I actually have a TRX at home and I'm trying to make it part of my routine. :)