At home weight lifting ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• mandos_13
    mandos_13 Posts: 21
    Options
    If you're interested in lifting heavy, I do New Rules of Weightlifting for Women at home and recommend it. It does require extra equipment from what you have already, but provides alternatives for exercises that require something like a cable station. I bought most of my equipment at a second hand sports store and it all fits under my bed, so it doesn't take up too much space. I think I've spent about $150 total to get started, including all equipment and the book. Where I live that's about the equivalent of 3 months of gym membership or less.

If you're less concerned with "heavy", there are already many suggestions here to use lighter weights as you already own, resistance bands (I have one I like to take with me on travel), and body weight exercises.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I got some adjustable dumbbells and a ~$50 bench (one with a sufficient weight limit for my husband to use as well). I expect you'll outgrow the 3/5/10 lb weights pretty quickly.
  • npostemni
    npostemni Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Does your library have Chalene Extreme? Its a GREAT program

I actually already own this program. I have tried it several times In the past but have never really gotten into it. Maybe I will try it again.
  • npostemni
    npostemni Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Decide exactly what you wish to achieve through weight training first. This is critical information for people to know before they offer you exercise advice.

I already know what I wish to achieve. I want to start toning up and losing inches. I'm steadily losing weight but I'm am not really losing any upper body inches. I have VERY flabby arms and upper body and I'm looking to tone them up.
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I want to start lifting weights but I'm not sure where to start. I don't have a gym membership and I can't really afford one.

As a runner who has recently started training for a half-marathon, I was in the same position. My training calls for me to do strength training 3 days a week coupled with a short run, or no run on those days. I found a book on Amazon (kindle version): Convict Conditioning. There is a similar title for women. The equipment needed? A baseball, a basketball, and a chin up bar. Do NOT under-estimate the challenge of the 6 exercises it contains. From utter novice to complete mastery will take many months, and I am not sure that final mastery is doable at my age. However, the book is great!
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Does your library have Chalene Extreme? Its a GREAT program

I actually already own this program. I have tried it several times In the past but have never really gotten into it. Maybe I will try it again.

hi. i did CEX Burn Phase back in January and lost 7.25 inches. i really only followed the 3x weight workouts per week because i was also taking karate so couldn't do all the other workouts. then life got in the way and i took a break and then had lasik eye surgery and was off for a couple of weeks. i just re-started Burn Phase on Monday if you want to join me :o)
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com has a lot of exercises and suggestions you can do at home with no equipment. There is a hotel room set that is all body weight exercises.
  • babyfat1013
    babyfat1013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You could look at a program like "You Are Your Own Gym". There is both the book and an App. Very little equipment required as it's almost all body weight.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I recommend HASFIT on you tube. They have a ton of free videos. Search biceps or triceps or legs or abs. It's all there.
    Its like having a personal trainer for free! I love it. Its tough at times. But I'm sore the next day which is a good sign it's working!!