Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hi Everyone.. I am totally confused. When I ordered this heart rate monitor watch, I didnt realize it came w/ a chest strap. I suppose I was clueless about this. :0)
So, I MUST wear the chest strap in order for the watch to work as a heart rate monitor? Does anyone have one of these, and can you give me the basic run down? This is my first one. I dont really want to wear the chest strap at the gym, but I guess if thats the only way to get my heart rate on the watch, I will have no choice.
Also, do I have to wear the chest strap for the calories burned, etc to work?

Thanks!! :0)

Replies

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Topic moved to Fitness and Exercise.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone.. I am totally confused. When I ordered this heart rate monitor watch, I didnt realize it came w/ a chest strap. I suppose I was clueless about this. :0)
    So, I MUST wear the chest strap in order for the watch to work as a heart rate monitor? Does anyone have one of these, and can you give me the basic run down? This is my first one. I dont really want to wear the chest strap at the gym, but I guess if thats the only way to get my heart rate on the watch, I will have no choice.
    Also, do I have to wear the chest strap for the calories burned, etc to work?

Thanks!! :0)

Hi!

Yes, you have to wear the chest-strap for the HRM to work. It can hardly be felt, if indeed at all when worn.

Wet the strap so that the sensors will pick up your HR, if you do not wet it, it will not work. Attach the little receiver thing onto the strap, put the watch on and you are ready to go.

The following is vitally important to keep your HRM working for months to come:

After every training session, rinse the strap thoroughly under running water, this rinses out all salt from your sweat - if you do not do this, the salt will solidify and the sensors will eventually be unable to pick up your HR and be rendered useless.

After every fifth training session, put the strap (not the receiver, make sure you remove that) into the washing machine for a thorough wash. Do not put softener into that wash, however washing powder will ensure it gets a good wash through and that is fine. Then let it dry naturally, do not place it on a radiator or anything.

The FT4 can have the batteries replaced by yourself - that is, you don't have to send it away to the manufacturers to get batteries replaced as you have to do with some other HRMs. When you need to get batteries replaced, make sure you replace the battery in both the watch itself AND the receiver.

I love my FT4, such a great little device!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yes if you want a HR Reading, you must wear the strap
    After every fifth training session, put the strap (not the receiver, make sure you remove that) into the washing machine for a thorough wash.

I did not know it could go in the washing machine! I rinse after every use, but I recently started getting errors saying it wasn't transmitting... I wonder if this would help.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Yes if you want a HR Reading, you must wear the strap
    After every fifth training session, put the strap (not the receiver, make sure you remove that) into the washing machine for a thorough wash.

I did not know it could go in the washing machine! I rinse after every use, but I recently started getting errors saying it wasn't transmitting... I wonder if this would help.

Try it, it will be fine, just don't put softener in the machine, for some reason the manufacturers advise against that. I think the machine wash just gives it a good old wash see, gets rid of any residue of salt that may be left even after rinsing.
  • sdwong
    sdwong Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi! I got an FT4 only a couple weeks ago and I love it!

So yes you need the strap and transmitter (the black oval device) which helps read your heart beats. Below is my routine for getting ready to use the FT4.

First I wet the contacts (which is the black plastic-like side of the strap) under running water real quick.
    Then I wrap the strap right under my boob area (I would have said chest but that's a large area...lol). The placement actually fits under the base of my sports bra.

If you notice before you hook the strap on, there should be about 4 inches of space when the strap is slack (or not stretched out). However, some forums say it should be 6-8 inches for the heat rate monitor to work.

Next I snap on the transmitter ( the black oval device- H1) make sure the text is right side up.

Then as I fix my sports bra over the monitor, I put on my watch and press the middle right button and wait a bit for a reading. Then press it again to start my workout!

NOTE: If it doesn't read press the left bottom button to stop and either...
    Add more water to the inside of the strap...
    Tighten the strap...
    Take off the transmitter, pop the lid where the battery sits, take out the battery and pop the lid back on (supposedly resets the transmitter)

Anyways good luck!
  • AAB100267
    AAB100267 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I used it today at the gym for the first time and I love it (and it doesnt hurt that is pink and cute! lol). I barely knew the chest strap was there and was in my "zone" just about the whole workout. Did 42 mins on the elliptical, was in the zone for 37 of those mins and burned 364 cals. I can see this being a great motivator for me. I have my personal trainer on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and he has me working up quite a sweat, so it will be cool to see where my heart rate is and how many cals I burn w/ him!!! Thanks again! I can always count on getting great info from MFP members! :0)
  • AAB100267
    Options
    Thank you soooo much for taking the time to help! :0)
  • AAB100267
    Options
    Hi! I got an FT4 only a couple weeks ago and I love it!

So yes you need the strap and transmitter (the black oval device) which helps read your heart beats. Below is my routine for getting ready to use the FT4.

First I wet the contacts (which is the black plastic-like side of the strap) under running water real quick.
    Then I wrap the strap right under my boob area (I would have said chest but that's a large area...lol). The placement actually fits under the base of my sports bra.

If you notice before you hook the strap on, there should be about 4 inches of space when the strap is slack (or not stretched out). However, some forums say it should be 6-8 inches for the heat rate monitor to work.

Next I snap on the transmitter ( the black oval device- H1) make sure the text is right side up.

Then as I fix my sports bra over the monitor, I put on my watch and press the middle right button and wait a bit for a reading. Then press it again to start my workout!

NOTE: If it doesn't read press the left bottom button to stop and either...
    Add more water to the inside of the strap...
    Tighten the strap...
    Take off the transmitter, pop the lid where the battery sits, take out the battery and pop the lid back on (supposedly resets the transmitter)

Anyways good luck!
  • AAB100267
    Options
    Thanks!!! Awesome step by step.. :0)
    Tried it today and I love it!
  • sdwong
    sdwong Posts: 7
    Options
    Mine's pink too! Lol
  • Carolynn43
    Carolynn43 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Love it
  • LazPagz
    LazPagz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have another question to ask if that's ok...

Does it matter which heart rate monitor you buy to go with the FT4? There are many listed on Polar's website (T31 coded™ transmitter, Polar WearLink®+ transmitter with Bluetooth®, T31 transmitter, Polar WearLink®+ transmitter Nike+, H1 Heart Rate Sensor, H2 Heart Rate Sensor, H7 heart rate sensor, H6 heart rate sensor) all with varying features and prices. I just want a basic one that will keep tabs on my heart rate and calories burnt. I have been researching this so long that my mind has officially boggled!

Any guidance would be much appreciated!
  • LazPagz
    LazPagz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    don't worry, ive just realised it come with a monitor so i just need to buy the strap. thanks anyway!