I'm an over weight geek

Options
You know the type. I'm the comic book guy on the Simpsons. I'm the big guy in front of the computer eating pizza and diet coke while effortlessly killing noobs. I'm Kevin Smith boarding an airplane and being told to buy two seats.

Okay, maybe I'm not all there yet, but I'm headed there. And I'm a woman. But my lifestyle choices have been mostly sedentary. My job keeps me at a desk, my hobbies don't involve a lot of exercise and even my pets are chubby (but happy!)

I'm on day 3 of my life changing diet and exercise regime, and I could use a little open minded humorous support. If you love your computer games, your numerous cats, your Marvel comics, celebrating May the 4th (be with you!) and your Game of Thrones bobble heads.... Well met! Let the adventure begin!

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!

I love Simpsons :love:
  • catwink1
    catwink1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Geek speak spoken here!, I have 4 cats ,Hunter ,Holly, Tanner and Molly (Molly was born in our boat in the backyard along with 5 siblings, all of whom now live very comfy lives with their humans) Named her Molly like fish Back Molly because she is a tux,.I love marvel comics, I play the Marvel game online and never miss the show. I am hamm radio operator , when I am home I am online making people laugh is key to success .. Struggling with weight is an issue and has been all my life. Married to my best friend (who by the way makes me laugh everyday) loves his chips, ice cream &cookies makes each day a challenge.
    We can support and share our journeys on life new day!
    Cat
  • Pusheenthecat
    Pusheenthecat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm fluffy! I'm an anime freak and cosplay at comic cons. Is that a geek?
  • Samphires
    Samphires Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, your name is Pusheen the Cat.

Can we be best friends please?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    A lot of geeks are.

But then they get into fitness, lose weight and become fitness geeks, weight lifting geeks, running geeks, nutrition geeks...

you get the picture.
  • siratlas
    siratlas Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm a bit of a geeky guy myself....I enjoy hobbits, marvel, buffy, big bang theory, medieval things and anything horror or zombie related. Oh and cats!!!!!!!!! I'm not much of a gamer or a comic book reader but I appreciate it.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm not too into computer games (that would be my hubby - he plays WOW, Diablo, Clash of Clans, and numerous others), but I do LOVE Games of Thrones, LOTR and Harry Potter, so I think I qualify for geek status! I appreciate the geek in everyone! :) Add me if you want, I log daily and encourage all my MFP peeps.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Definite geek here. My four cats - Frodo, Gandalf, Pippen and Merry say it all....

And my geek factor has helped me understand that calorie math really does work, I am not a special snowflake.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of http://www.nerdfitness.com/? Great website for self-proclaimed "geeks" or "nerds" (or anyone really). Sign up for their newsletter, you'll get lots of useful info handed to you in a humorous manner. They are a bit pro Paleo, but to each their own. The rest of the info is good even if you don't subscribe to the Paleo lifestyle.

Other less "geeky" sources for good info are:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin

Good luck to you in however you plan to do this.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Way good!

If you are changing diet and exercise, what other lifestyle choices could be less sedentary? Exercise sounds so much like work. Cycling, dancing, and training cats to agility sounds more entertaining. Or walks in the park. Or extreme downhill biking with cats in your pockets. Or sumthin' else, I dunno.

(disclaimer: I'm also a geek working on all that, sans cats.)
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek too! I MUD, play D&D, Civ, etc, work as an IT Systems analyst, and I'm getting back in shape! However, I have poodles. Is that a deal breaker? :happy:
  • mspokey101
    Options
    I'm a chubby, sci-fi-loving, poetry-writing, Whovian nerd, with two nerdy kids who are the joy of my life! I think we'd get along great. I'm on day three as well. I've been searching for ways to get healthy and had lost a few pounds so far this year, but I'm afraid to step on my wii fit and weigh because I kinda slipped--too many buffalo wings while watching my Seahawks kick butt in the Superbowl led to a bit of a downward spiral. Would love to share mutual support in this journey. Look forward to hearing from you.
  • nooblet86
    Options
    Geek Solidarity! I'm computer obsessed if the game is any good I've played it and I work at a desk all day, so I feel your pain. Would love to have some geeky friends on the same journey! My friend recently set up a stationary bike with a platform for key board and mouse instead of handle bars. Now she makes herself exercise while she plays. I thought that was pure genius! I need that setup. Game while getting a work out. Sounds like a win win.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I used to be, now I'm only a geek with motorbikes...

Welcome! May the 4th be with you also! ;)
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm a geek too! Lol. My fiancé I and frequent comic cons. I don't play computer games. He does though.
    Looking for some positive friends to keep each other on track. :) Sending a friend request.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I take offense at calling ourselves names! We like what we like, there's no need to label it! :drinker:
  • keliana1
    keliana1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a geek too and could use a buddy. I did really well on here last year but life happened and my health priorities fell to the bottom as I sat at my desk and my tv just trying to get through each day. But I'm back and ready to try again. :) I love fantasy, sci fi, books, and so much more. Good luck!
  • smaddy_123
    smaddy_123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Looking like a geek roll call in here so I am adding my voice to the rabble :)
    Fellow geeks feel free to add me, this is Day 1 for me.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Total geek here. Love Nerd Fitness -- great website. I'm part of the Nerd Fitness Academy, and it's a smaller, awesome community too if you want a little extra 'oomph' and fellow geek likemindedness :)
  • AceCC86
    AceCC86 Posts: 71
    Options
    Jumping in on this geek role call!