anyone else intimidated by their friends

Options
124»

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Some of my friends are elite athletes, body builders, powerlifters, racers, etc. They're motivation to keep up and push harder!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    so glad I clicked on this thread, for the gifs, but I will add my two cents.

My burns a lot lower than others because I don't weigh as much. I consider 200 cals a good workout and 400 would be amazing if you want to friend me:)
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hehe, lovin' all the gifs!

And oi, don't fret. The majority of my exercise calories comes from strength training, and that burns next to nothing from a cardio standpoint. It's the increased muscle mass long term that will help me burn more overall.

In the end, do what YOU can do and feel comfortable with and you will be able to sustain it in the long run. Consistency really is key to successful weight loss.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    post-23068-Baby-Joey-kangaroo-new-home-gi-pZwv.gif
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Dont be discouraged by what others are burning ... I know what you mean. Some days my heart rate monitor tells me that in a stellar workout I only burn 400 calories. But such is life! Then I come here and see someone who says they have burned 1100!!

I think some people who have a more sedentary lifestyle track EVERYTHING ... so if they do yard work, or house work, or they calculate how far they have walked based on a pedometer and they come here and add it.

Everyone is different, and their needs, burns and goals are all different as well. Just keep doing what you are doing. At the end of the day its working for you and that is all that matters!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of their high burns. But not intimidated. Stop comparing yourself. Your FL isn't judging you, and if they are, you should delete them.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I do what I do. They do what they do. I support them. They support me.

Honestly, I don't even look at their Calorie burns. It doesn't affect me. If they did something, great.

hBF8444F2
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of their high burns. But not intimidated. Stop comparing yourself. Your FL isn't judging you, and if they are, you should delete them.

QFT
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    MyuFL can judge all they want; they came to me.
  • kb2699
    kb2699 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    One of your friends here (a non-intimidating one)! Look at your photos or in a mirror, you're doing great so keep on keeping on. There'll always be somebody else doing more or better, there'll also be people doing less or worse. Seek them out and ridicule them.

tumblr_lqulix92EQ1r1kcfyo1_400.gif

Just kidding about the ridicule those doing worse than you statement!

Great advice and great gif :)
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Aww,cute koala cat wins :) and thank you all , I feel kinda mediocre, but hey ho I do mix it up , I miss those crazy burns ! Dam I love the roo with the nappy bless xx thanks peeps well whatever we are burning its all cool :-
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My yoga instructor often quotes Teddy Roosevelt - "Comparison is the thief of joy" and I try to keep this in mind anytime I start to compare myself to others or even to myself (i.e. last week you were able hold Crow pose the whole time, but this week you fell out of it right away or you ran 10 min miles yesterday, why are you slow today, blah, blah, blah). Helps me stay present focus and appreciate what I am doing today, in this moment, for me, my health, etc. Your activity list sounds awesome!! I'm training for a marathon but I've never been rock climbing (and I have always wanted to!) so would totally be in awe of friends on my list that did that!!!
  • snappyapples
    Options
    Your friends will probably support every burn you post (no matter how small) and every pound dropped. And if not, feel free to add me, I normally only burn like 2-300 too lol.

rytHAMW.gif
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    competing.gif
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be intimidated about. That is unless you get into a competition with others, who obviously might be in a more advanced stage and condition that you.
    Oh and don't measure yourself with the measurement unit of someone else. The only one you should compare yourself with is your old self. :wink: :drinker:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Ok my cal burn sits about 200 to 400 a day, I have friends that burn up atleast a thousand a day , I'm intimidated, I feel inadequate ! I should be doing more and I'm annoyed at that and jealous that's all , anyone else feel this ?

I only compete with the person in the mirror. Like you, I'm close to my goal weight. There's no way I'm going to have a 1,000 calorie burn with a one hour workout. I'm happy with 200-300 calorie burns. Also, some people overestimate their calorie burns. They may not be burning 1,000 calories a day as they think they are.

I'm not jealous of my MFP friends. I'm happy when they lose. I get ideas from their workouts.
  • case87
    case87 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm one of those that can burn 800-1000 calories per day, especially lately. I'm on my 12th week of Turbo Fire, which I'll be done with on Sunday. I start ChaLEAN Extreme on Monday. I've been at the same weight for a long time, and am really trying to get some extra calorie burns in to try to shake that plateau. It's nice outside, so I can finally take my dogs for a walk.

I live in the country and walk/ run around our "block", which is 4 miles. I do wear a heart rate monitor (Polar FT7), am pretty heavy still, and know I work my butt off, so I'm sure my 600 calories for yesterday was pretty accurate. Then I did my Turbo Fire workout (HIIT 25 + Abs 10 + Stretch 10). Ouch! My legs are sore!

Anyway, I was just stopping by to let you know that sometimes, people have those excess burns, and they just might be accurate, despite the cynicism I've seen on this post so far. I don't do it because I'm trying to intimidate others. I do it because I want to see those 2 pound drops on the scale too and I am trying to shake up my routine. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ok my cal burn sits about 200 to 400 a day, I have friends that burn up atleast a thousand a day , I'm intimidated, I feel inadequate ! I should be doing more and I'm annoyed at that and jealous that's all , anyone else feel this ? And if theres gifs pls feature a koala or kangaroo :o. Bit of patriotism never hurt anyone and I'm sick of cat gifs !

Your friends are probably doing it wrong, unless they do mountain hiking or canoeing (or similar) for like several hours.
    I can bun 1,000 calories in 90 minutes on the elliptical or rollerblading.

On an elliptical? I would have to see that. I'll bring the ice cream.
  • chasingdreams18
    chasingdreams18 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The only person you should be competing with is you.

Amen!