Chipotle - Healthy Option?

Options
My Chipotle meal below has to be better than my former usual carb-laden lunch and dinners, right? I love eating out and I am a very picky eater so finding healthy options at restaurants is tough for me.

Chipotle
Bowl with Brown Rice
Extra Chicken
Hot salsa - good for the metabolism
Cheese
Sour cream on side, add very little

eat half for lunch an the rest for dinner.

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My Chipotle meal below has to be better than my former usual carb-laden lunch and dinners, right? I love eating out and I am a very picky eater so finding healthy options at restaurants is tough for me.

Chipotle
    Bowl with Brown Rice
    Extra Chicken
    Hot salsa - good for the metabolism
    Cheese
    Sour cream on side, add very little

eat half for lunch an the rest for dinner.

I believe Chipotle has their nutrition information posted on their website. Find out how many calories you are eating.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    i think its pretty healthy. they have a calorie calculator on their website

double black beans, fajita veggies, white rice, double barbacoa, triple mild salsa, double hot salsa, corn salsa, medium salsa,and lettuce is only 880 cals and its is ****ing huge

you can get as much of anything you want, except meat, for free

i double down on beans, use 4+ of the salsas, get peppers and onions

additional salsa bumps the vegetable content and adds a lot of micronutrients

if you get a burrito, you've entered the Chipotle hall of fame when they need two tortillas to wrap your burrito ;)
  • bcdudley1
    bcdudley1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat Chipotle all the time for lunch. Get Chicken or Steak, drop the Tortilla and rice, then get either cheese or sour cream, not both. Makes the meal under 500 calories.
    Mine usually looks like this:

Salad with steak, fajita veggies, black beans, tomato salsa, hot salsa, 1/4 spoon of sour cream, 1/4 spoon of cheese.

Mmm, almost lunch time. sounding pretty good right now.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I eat Chipotle all the time for lunch. Get Chicken or Steak, drop the Tortilla and rice, then get either cheese or sour cream, not both. Makes the meal under 500 calories.
    Mine usually looks like this:

Salad with steak, fajita veggies, black beans, tomato salsa, hot salsa, 1/4 spoon of sour cream, 1/4 spoon of cheese.

Mmm, almost lunch time. sounding pretty good right now.

Good idea but I am very picky and do not eat beans or fajita veggies. The brown rice is very filling and I would be willing to try the tomato salsa, adding it to the hot. Thanks
  • mkcolombia
    mkcolombia Posts: 71 Member
    Options

you can get as much of anything you want, except meat, for free

if you get a burrito, you've entered the Chipotle hall of fame when they need two tortillas to wrap your burrito ;)

I know where I am going for lunch!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I love Chipotle and think it's a great quick eating option. However, if you are mainly concerned with calories, the only thing I would say is to be cautious of using the data from the website or MFP database. All of those numbers are based on a specific serving size, but who knows how much they are actually putting in the bowl because they don't actually measure. In that regard, it is up to you tho tell them how little or how much of anything you want and do your best to guess the appropriate amount. For instance, a 4 oz serving of rice is supposed to be 200 calories, but a big scoop of rice is way more than 4oz.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros, then it's healthy. As for me, I prefer Mexican food that tastes good, but each to their own...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros, then it's healthy. As for me, I prefer Mexican food that tastes good, but each to their own...

chipotle is awesome...GTFO with your elitest taste buds and enjoy the nature of less options ready to go.

Freebirds is better, but only the fortunate have those in their towns...
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yes, nutritional info is posted on their website. I eat there all of the time. Very healthy. 400 - 500 calories for my meals there usually and depending on the day I may eat chips.

http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/menu.aspx
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Kids meal, all the way! I go out to eat with co-workers every Friday, and all teh option in the town where I work are bascailly chains. I've gone online to Chipotle and constructed a few different kid meal options taht work out to under 400 cals, even with the tiny bag of chips! I usually get a taco kit (comes with 2 soft or hard shells), then you get three "things". I tend to go with a bean, a meat, and a salsa. I luvz me some cheese, but found that in these meals I don't even notice when it's gone, so I opt to save teh calories for something else...sometimes a small kiddie Coke with my meal, or a side of guac to go with my chips.

Anyway, really go online to the Chipotle calorie counter. You can build anything your way and know the calorie content.
  • rubyredargyle
    Options
    The fact that you've gone to a bowl is a huge step in the right direction. Those tortillas are hugely unhealthy.
    If you can learn to love beans and fajita veggies, and forgo the rice all-together, you can eat the whole bowl in one sitting for a meal.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    The fact that you've gone to a bowl is a huge step in the right direction. Those tortillas are hugely unhealthy.
    If you can learn to love beans and fajita veggies, and forgo the rice all-together, you can eat the whole bowl in one sitting for a meal.

why re the tortillas unhealthy?

why eliminate the rice?

edited to add: a whole bowl as he orders now is about 805cals. thats a decent meal in itself.

your advice is poop.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

those 2 items may be higher in calories but does not mean they are unhealthy.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I love me some Chipotle. :love: I usually get the bowl with brown rice, faijita veggies, sofritas (no particular reason, I'm not vegan, it's just really spicy which I like), hot salsa and lettuce. I usually skip the cheese (can't taste it anyway), and I'll occasionally have a bit of sour cream if I'm feeling indulgent.

The whole shebang is 485 calories (with the sour cream). Can't beat that.
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    I would like to ring in on the rice and tortilla's issue

these are both healthy foods in moderation...

they are good foods

they are also delicious foods.

I, myself, limit the amount I eat because I have tummy aches after eating them. but I would NEVER tell someone else not to eat them

because they are good and delicious (i love them so so so much!)

but like ALL foods, even good foods, you have to have them in a healthy moderation

that's all.
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yep, this whole thread just made me hungry and now i'm heading to Chipotle for lunch. :tongue:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Eliminate the chicken, cheese and sour cream to make it more healthy. Their mild salsa is really good, too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

chipotle is awesome...GTFO with your elitest taste buds and enjoy the nature of less options ready to go.

Freebirds is better, but only the fortunate have those in their towns...

Elitist? Does that include Taco Bell? Seriously, I would rather have Taco Bell than Chipotle. But I prefer an authentic taqueria. We have several in my area that are much cheaper than Chipotle and taste better. I think Chipotle tastes ok (like Taco bell tastes ok), but their prices are outrageous, just way too expensive.

ETA: I just looked it up, and we have a Freebirds in my area. I've never heard of it, but I'll have to check it out. (So long as it's not $10 for lunch, :laugh:)
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yeah reading about all the yummy possibilities at Chipotle has got me craving it bad. Love that place but haven't been there in months.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    D*mn it you guys! The closest Chipotles is 1.5 hours away and I want some now. I love getting the steak, black bean, lettuce, mild salsa, cheese, and guacomole.