Hard Time Getting Started

Options
I'm having a hard time getting myself in gear to start, especially since I am at home for Christmas break. I'm a "bored eater" so sitting around the house all day doing nothing it's hard to resist the temptation just to grab something and eat it -- but then I feel horrible afterward. I have started working out, just having a hard time with the food part. Any suggestions, ideas, or just encouragement?

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    Options
    try drinking water or tea.
    try taking a long bath.
    try reading a book in a room furthest from the kitchen.
    try going for a walk to look at the Christmas lights
    try planning your meals early in the morning so you know what you have to look forward to or borrow from if you get hungry.

Good luck!
  • BeGreat25
    Options
    I have the same problem too. I am trying to keep fat free yogurt and fruit and veggies around so that when I do feel tempted I just grab a fruit or veggie or yogurt instead of chocolates or cookies that we are temted with. Drinks lots of water and maybe eat a little bit of that food you crave but not so it makes you feel bad.
  • BeGreat25
    Options
    yeah listen to JulieBo she knows whats up!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Doing anything you can to keep busy will definitely help you from getting hungry/bored eating. And if you do feel the need to bored eat, try to make it a healthy, low calorie snack. And make sure not to beat yourself up every time you have a misstep in the process. Those are natural and to be expected.

Good luck! It does get easier!
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    i agree with Begreat and JulieBo, Try to engage urself, and also keep healthy low calorie foods around like fruits, veggies and such. Also plan to exercise, go out for a walk if u can, or do an indoor workout. It all starts in the mind :-)
    good luck
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Options
    I would really try to occupy the down time at home. Start buying healthier foods and snacks for your home, ck what you're going to eat before you do, it might trigger you rethink it.
  • mishmush21
    mishmush21 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I started about two weeks ago and I gave up drinking dr.pepper all together. I too am a bored eater. So I went and bought some 100 calerie packs, some gala apples and peanut butter, and some cashews. Now when I am bored I just eat one of those, if I happen to eat a little more than "recommended" I dont beat myself up or feel bad, because all that stuff is better than what I normally did. I also have found myself drinking more water. The more I drink the less hungry I feel. I know that sometimes when I am bored and want to munch, I will start to clean instead, by the time I am done doing to that, I am not really hungry anymore either. And lets face it, there is always something to clean. (at least its that way at my house.) And finally, dont be upset with yourself. When you first start out, its so much harder to stay on the band wagon. If you slip up, its ok. At least you are trying! If you went at it hard core, you might get tired and burn yourself out. Then you wouldnt want to do it at all. If you ever need ecouragement, let me know. I hope I helped! You can friend request me if you want to!
    Michelle
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Go do stuff if you are a bored eater- When I go home to my parents' for the holidays I pick a project to do around the house to be helpful- like clean a long stuffed closet or put old photos in an album- something that helps and also keeps you entertained. Also- Julie is right- meal plans are MORE important when you are away from work (which is structured) and just sitting around at home.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Put a note on the fridge (and the pantry or wherever you get most your food from) that asks you if you're REALLY hungry? Make yourself read the note and answer each time you go to get food. If the answer's no, then don't allow yourself to eat anything. You control what you put in your body. Also, drink a glass of water before eating anything - wait 20 minutes. If you're still hungry, then allow yourself a snack.

Something else that helps - prepare healthy, easy to grab snacks that are ready to eat. Cut-up veggies, pre-portioned almonds (18g is about 100 calories), etc.

By slowing down and making yourself think, then making sure healthy snacks are available - you should be fine!!
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    Since you are at home for break, instead of eating something when your bored, go for a walk instead of going to the kitchen, do jumping jacks, drink a ton of water, just get moving when you feel the erge to eat. Then do it again when you go back to school, you will form a habit. "A Habit takes 21 days to form!
  • fushion243
    Options
    With Christmas break, be sure to not try and lose more than 1 lbs a week. Might even try 0 gain for the week and get through the holidays. I had a bad week last week, no loss, was up and back to my last weight. So, I know the frustration. Just set realistic goals and workout to earn food. It is the greatest motivator and gets you out of the house.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it?:laugh: Keep in mind everything you eat now will be with you after the Holidays and will be that much longer process to get down to your goal weight. Think long and hard each time you get the thought in your head to munch, is it worth it? Most likely it's NOT. It's only food, we can eat 365 days a year!! I think sometimes we forget that.:wink:

Food will always be there so eating it all now can't be much fun. I know when I eat junk and continue to eat it I feel like crap so I quit doing it and I feel so much better physically and also don't have to deal with the guilt/self hate. :drinker:
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options

try reading a book in a room furthest from the kitchen.

If I had a big house this would work! At 693 square feet I can't get very far from the kitchen!
  • scalpay
    Options
    I realized, that once I started using Mfp I wouldn't snack so much or eat out of boredom, because I write everything down now. the temptation to just grab something to eat really went down for me.
  • mcruse
    Options
    Try eating crunchy foods like an apple or carrots. Chewing might help
    Go to the library (bring some carrots and sliced apples)
    Ask yourself "Why am I eating? Am i hungry? What am I feeling?" This helps identify the emotions and after a while you"ll recognize why you are doing this
    Go to a gym and ask for a tour (you don't have to sign up.....it's just to get out the house! Who knows, you might get motivated to take a class. Group exercise is very motivating. As for a pass and attend a group class just for kicks!)
    Go to a craft store and think about a new hobby
    Eat unbuttered, low salt popcorn

Read all the other replies....something will help. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • Snowy42
    Options
    Being a computer gamer, this isn't really a big issue for me... i will literally just sit at the computer all day (until I do some exercise) and my mind is completely un-occupied with thoughts of food. The negative is that i end up NOT eating main meals because I don't notice the time!

I think the point I'm getting at is to stay busy! I've also started making it a habit that any time i go for the fridge i think to myself "Am I actually hungry? Or am I just killing time"
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My journey has been about new habits. I say work on one thing a week until you get the hang of it. When you throw too much at yourself at once, that might not work. I did the first week as-no snacky candy!! (I used to eat a candy bar a day). The second week I added to that, no soda. Then I just kept/keep adding on!
  • Daniel93725
    Options
    I had a hard time being at first also I am home most of the time I do my exercises at home. I am also on a leave of absence from school. The first step I made was seeing a nutritionist and my personal doctor. I am loosing so I can prevent diabetes and to take pressure off my hips and back. I need them both fixed. The doctor will not fix them until I lose weight. For me health and pain are my motivation. I enjoy eating so it is tough, especially since I married a southern bell. I think the site is great so far, it is working for me Good Luck, Happy Holidays.
  • Daniel93725
    Options
    I did not understand how well it would work I just started using the site a couple of weeks ago .I am finding it very helpful to monitor my portion and food intake in general. It works I automatically sign on everyday.