No Alcohol April

Options

Replies

• geeky_nerd
    geeky_nerd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I haven't caved either I'm on day 10 in my diet/exercise and quitting soda/beer! I've lost 4 lbs already, which I figured I would drop weight fast because I did the math and I drink probably 3600 calories a week in beer and I'm probably being a bit nice with my math.

200 calories a beer, I drink good beer!
    200 calories * 3 beers * 6 days a week = 3600 a week....Yikes!

This doesn't include soda and some of the foods I've been eating in the past. I've been drinking an awful lot of calories. Couple this with little to no formal exercise and you see why I got to 194 in the last few years.
  • Mezzle13
    Mezzle13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This will be so hard for me but... I am in! I simply adore wine and grew up in a family that makes their own so it is a big part of our lives.

I am going over to my uncles for dinner tonight and he is constantly offering me wine from his cellar so I am going to be strong and stick to water! Wish me luck!
  • haley1297
    Options
    Im so in on this! I have been struggling bad with my weight due to the daily beers I like to have after work. that and a few other lifestyles changes have caused me to gain 60 lbs over the last 2 1/2 yrs!!! looking for a change!
  • magcowling
    magcowling Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really want to do this. I really hope I can do it! I am going to try because I know it's wine that stops me losing weight, so please count me in. I have wanted to do this for a while but we always have wine in the house so it is not easy, I will need loads of willpower. so here goes
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow NAA'ers!

Day 1: I had probably the most (personal) stressful day in a long time.
    I got home, sat in my car for about an hour, in the dark, alone and thought about going in and having a drink becauuse why not, drinking helps me soothe away stress, sadness.... I am happy to say I did NOT do it. It wasn't that bad. I also ate good for the day too.

*I really am only this sad maybe once a year or so and it just so happened to occur on my first day of no alcohol, go figure. LOL :tongue:
  • Sweetestthing87
    Options
    This will be so hard for me but... I am in! I simply adore wine and grew up in a family that makes their own so it is a big part of our lives.

I am going over to my uncles for dinner tonight and he is constantly offering me wine from his cellar so I am going to be strong and stick to water! Wish me luck!

Best of luck!
  • Sweetestthing87
    Options
    So its only the first day of the month and I'm already tempted to stop. I'm making some sautéed mushrooms and the recipe calls for some white wine. Usually I would pour some in the pan and some in my glass but I'm proud to say that that didn't happen this time :) Hurry up May 1st!

Ha ha, we got this.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for lent. I have not had a drop in 28 days. 18 days left?
  • tradja
    tradja Posts: 11
    Options
    Good idea. In.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    A couple of MFP'ers started a group a year ago or so for exactly this purpose. To find support and insights with other folks who had already realized that alcohol was a large source of calories.

I quit because it was a bad mix with my having to take lithium. There are lots of reasons to cut back or quit; as many reasons as there are MFPers. I hope to hear you all on "You Booze, You Snooze".
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    So its only the first day of the month and I'm already tempted to stop. I'm making some sautéed mushrooms and the recipe calls for some white wine. Usually I would pour some in the pan and some in my glass but I'm proud to say that that didn't happen this time :) Hurry up May 1st!

Great job!
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    In. My Friday night off last week was spent at the gym and eating steak. My hangovers are so bad I miss my weekly circuits class and the whole of Saturday.
    I just finished nomakeupmarch so a new focus would be good!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    NOPE!
  • lraymond14
    lraymond14 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I always tell myself that I should take a month or two off. Just to clear my system. Then it gets close to the weekend and I’m like what was I thinking. I’m a social drinker with a case of FOMO. Hopefully this helps both. :)
  • jakethepurplesnake
    Options
    Hi everyone~
    I just joined my fitness pal yesterday. I have tried every single thing possible, I hope this works. It is so nice to hear all of the feedback and motivational input.
    The alcohol thing is the culprit I know, I don't know If I can quit for a month! Cudos to you guys that are doing it!!
    JLH
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    In too! Bubbly is my odd indulgence. I thought it would be the best choice of alcohol for my LCHF lifestyle (some people would argue none is the best choice) and I might have got carried away.

On April 1st I started my 21 Day No Bubbly Challenge!

Day 3 and still bubble free :)
  • StevenH74
    StevenH74 Posts: 129
    Options
    I have just signed back up after many many failed. Booze is my biggest problem, no doubt. I am actually getting twitchy as I type this but go on then. I'm in!

I thought about leaving this alone, but the nurse in me can't. I used to work in a detox ICU so I saw firsthand what heavy drinkers go through when they're trying to quit, and it's barbaric to quit cold turkey. If you're already twitchy, stopping cold turkey can be dangerous without medical supervision. At least tell someone close to you that you're doing this so they can check on you daily. Or have someone around to help JUST IN CASE you become confused, agitated, or you begin to hallucinate (usually by day 2). I hope you have a good support system. Best wishes. :flowerforyou:

Thanks, I appreciate your kindness. Twitchy just at the thought of going without alcohol. I wasn't twitchy from withdrawal. Again, thank you though.
  • Mezzle13
    Mezzle13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I went to my uncle's for dinner last night and resisted all the wine and it was actually quite nice! I did have a sniff of the red they were drinking and felt very proud. The biggest hurdle will be Friday night when my parents come to visit and I will have a big craving for a Gin & Tonic but if I could do it last night then I can do this weekend :smile:
  • Sweetestthing87
    Options
    Indeed you can! Great job at your Uncle's.

Weekend is where I get caught up. For instance, tomorrow alone I have 2 birthday parties and plans with an old friend, Saturday I have a baby shower and you know they serve drinks at those now. Shouldn't be too bad. I don't feel like I would be missing out but we shall see what Monday brings. Also: It isn’t so much the alcohol that gets me, it is the empty calories I eat when I drink.

My friend said she mixes Crystal Light (flavors: margarita, pomegranate, bellini etc) with her water and then sips on that while being social. I will do that. I find people won't try to give you drinks if you already have one. :)

Happy Friday eve.

Laura
  • nicpare
    nicpare Posts: 15
    Options
    Excellent timing for me. I'm new here, but certainly not new to dieting. I've been thinking that my weekend vodka and club sodas are part of my weight loss struggle problem. This was just the kick in the high-ball glass that I needed. :)