Looking for hiking trails

Options
Anybody know some good places to go hiking in Orange County? I've gone to Mt. Baldy, but would like to try some place a little closer. Anybody got any ideas?

Replies

• FUcalories
    FUcalories Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I didn't know these existed. Can't wait to try them out. =)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    alltrails.com too, that's what I use, but I am in MD so I have no idea for your area, sorry
  • FUcalories
    Options
    Going to try my first hiking trail today!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Are you north or south orange county? I am north orange county and I love going to La Habra Heights Powder Canyon and Schabarum in Rowland Heights (the trails meet but parking on the Powder Canyon Trail is free and you have to pay to park at Schabarum. It's dog friendly too (as long as they are leashed.) I did see a mountain lion but it was after 6 pm so it was my fault, now I will stick to day time only, no dusk! LOL Hacienda Heights is not orange county but not that far if you are in north OC and it's a nice trail too (free parking.) Lots of trees, shade covering, and lots of incline. Takes me about 1.5 hours to do the trail. Whittier has some decent hiking too, Hellman Park is about 5.5 mile hike, lots of people, wider or thinner trail depending on which route you take. Free parking. Bolsa Chica in Huntington is flat/easy for quickie (but not dog friendly so I never go there.) If you are more south in Orange county, Aliso and Wood Canyon has nice trails (but no dogs and pay parking.) Ralph B Clark park on Buena Park/Fullerton border is a quickie 1.5 mile hike too, dog friendly. It feels super safe there, I never ever worry about being alone. Lots of people, there is a park and grassy area but the perimeter is a trail. I just do it twice and it takes me about 40 mins...

I love All Trails app too...
  • FUcalories
    Options
    Oh, those are great locations too. I live borderline Garden Grove and Anaheim, but on the weekends I'm up in Buena Park, so I'm close to both locations. I'm really liking the hiking. Not only is it beautiful scenery, but it's a great workout. I've been hiking Peter's Canyon, but you just gave me some more locations to try out. Thanks so much =)
  • FUcalories
    Options
    Ok, no more hiking trails for me! Almost stepped ran into a baby rattlesnake! I plan on sticking to concrete and asphalt. Anybody have any ideas?? I'm too scared for hiking now.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys make my fears seem foolish. I hate grass snakes and freak to hell out when I see one, with shrieks, nightmares, the whole bit. You guys are dealing with mountain lions and rattlesnakes!!

So yeah...move to NH and hike with me! :drinker:
  • FUcalories
    Options
    A snake is a snake. I don't like any of them!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    LOL!! I've been such a chicken ever since I ran into that mountain lion too. I was aiming for 750 hiking miles this year and only made it to about 285 because I am freaked out to have it happen again. I know the chances of it eating me are rare but now every noise I hear in the bushes I am thinking "Oh my god, I am going to get eaten today!" LMAO The poor dog is now getting walk/runs on cement sidewalks and I think he is pissed about it. Haha