QUESTION

Options
I have only been putting half of my exercise calories in, does any one else do this or should I put them all in ? I do it so I am at a lower deficit. I usually burn about 700, so I put in 350.

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Fitbit automatically enters general activity calories, usually around 500 per day. I manually enter my cycling calories. I do not enter strength training calories since they are generally low (I think) and I have no way of accurately measuring them. I then try not to eat up all the calories I've earned.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I only eat half my exercise calories usually, if I'm hungry I eat them all so I won't binge or eat something I shouldn't eat lots of.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have only been putting half of my exercise calories in, does any one else do this or should I put them all in ? I do it so I am at a lower deficit. I usually burn about 700, so I put in 350.

It depends on a few things, your goals, your activity level, your calorie goal to start with, how you are performing.
    I don't think it hurts to underestimate. In a lot of cases, exercise calories are overestimated, so logging only a portion of them helps to avoid that.
    The only time I would be cautious of this is if you calorie goal to start with is very low and you are doing huge amounts of activity.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I put in all my cardio calories but not my strength training calories from the 30 Day Shred or other weight lifting. So I guess I could say yes that I put in only half but I know that the cardio burns more than weights. I don't eat back all my cardio calories unless I am really hungry and need it. It seems to be working ok for me so far.

ETA: I put in my strength training as reps or in the exercise notes so that I can track progress though...it just doesn't add to the calories burned from exercise.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I only put in 1 calorie for activities because I don't eat back my exercise calories. My intake is based on my amount of exercise and was set up by my old trainer. I'd love to track my calories burned without it showing up in the diary for food.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I walk 6 miles a day at least but only input 5 miles and I say that I walk at a slower pace. Like other people said, I would prefer to be conservative and underestimate than be optimistic and end up overeating. It's been working for me!