How the h*** do I get motivated to start exercising!!!

Options
deannc1
deannc1 Posts: 91 Member
I began my journey to fitness 6 weeks ago. I am a 6 foot tall female. My starting weight was 290 lbs. I joined MFP 1 week ago at 272 lbs. I weighed in today at 268. Pretty good. I promised myself I would give myself a little time to get myself on track nutritionally and then incorporate exercise into my life. I work 4 days a week for 11 hours each day from 10a-9p, at a desk job. I am usually up at 530am during the week to take my daughter to her bus stop for school. I come home, do a few chores and then head out to work. I am off wed thurs and sunday. I'm usually pretty tired-most likely from sleep deprivation. If I could just find the motivation I could probably hit the gym most week day mornings after dropping off my darling daughter........but I just can't seem to find it. I'm starting to feel a wee bit depressed........any ideas, words of encouragement or personal stories would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• michellestenson
    Options
    You could force yourself to go to the gym just one time and if you like it and feel good it will be easier to persuade yourself to go again and
    again. I don't like going to a gym so I do zumba at home (DVD I love to dance) it doesn't feel like exercising and walk on my treadmill while my fav tv shows are on. I had to force myself to "just do it tonight" then it got easier. I don't exercise every day and try not to feel ashamed or guilty because then I get down and say whats the point. Any exercise is better then before when I got none. Now with Spring finally coming I will walk the dog and work outside on the lawn plus zumba. Good luck.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Start out by taking a walk on the 3 days you are off. Take your daughter with you if you can. Do you have a video game system? Wii and others have some really fun games and dances that make exercise less of a chore. Challenge your daughter to a dance off. LOL That's it. Once you feel comfortable with that, then consider adding more.

I have a desk job, luckily with a private office. Once an hour or so, I'll get up and do 10 squats, the next hour 10 desk push ups, then a few leg lifts or high stepping in place, then stretches. It's good to get moving, work out the stiffness and change positions. It also helps wake me up a bit. Maybe you can do something like this.

I make sure to take the stairs when reasonable. Park further away in the lot at the grocery. Anything that adds just a little more movement into my day. I ride my exercise bike. I have an exercise ball, hand weights and stretch bands too. There's no reason why I have to take time to go t the gym. Maybe that would help you too, being able to get your exercise in at home.
  • nkovacs1954
    nkovacs1954 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are doing great! 30 plus lbs is significant and you should be proud.

Walk, just walk. It's Spring outside, put your headphones on and just go enjoy it. Forget about Fitbits, Nike bands and all that. I use a pedometer and love it....easy, simple and 30 bucks. Enjoy it. Once you begin to enjoy the walk you'll look forward to it.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You don't need motivation. You just need to start. Motivation will be there sometimes, but even when it isn't you will need to exercise.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Do.
    Make an appointment with yourself and keep it.

In the meantime: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1102508-mfp-fitspiration
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to take time away from your desk for a break? I set a reminder in my calendar every day to force myself to get up and go outside for a walk. I may only walk for 10 or 15 minutes, but it feel so nice to getup and stretch the legs. This way too I can break up my exercise, and do maybe another 15-20 minutes of something at home. I try to keep it varied to keep myself from getting bored.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    my motivation starting out...looked at myself naked in a full length mirror...nuff said!!!
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Its easy to find 30 mins in a day. I am a firm believer we find the time to do the things we want to do...and weight loss is 85% diet and 15% exercise, you can do it without it. It just goes faster and you will feel great after you do a little something.
  • Braz76
    Braz76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I suggest finding an exercise that you enjoy. Maybe a hobby/interest you had as a child or something you always thought you would like to try one day. Walking, team sports, martial arts, dancing whatever. If you look forward to doing it, you're more likely to stick with it.

I also like to purchase dance or yoga DVDs for home. They're cheap and it's fun to do with the kid/s and you don't have to worry about what people are thinking.

Or just take your daughter to a park. Let her choose the activities and join in.

My theory is: "Any movement is good movement". Motivation will build as you improve and don’t give up!

Best of luck :smile:
  • miss_sassy35
    Options
    Just start off small and acclimate yourself. I agree, start walking for a least 15-30 minutes a day. Take the stairs, always park far wherever you go. Walk around your building on your lunch break if possible. I now walk at least 4 miles a day burning at least 350 calories. Try to get a buddy to walk with you to motivate and hold you accountable as this is very helpful because each of you are in it together and are trying to reach the same goals. Then progress to power walking and maybe a jog. I now can jog at least one of my miles without passing out and controlling my breathing. YouTube has many 10 minutes videos you can do even if you only do one a day for ten minutes. Try some of the 5k walks in your community. These equate to 3 miles. I haven't incorporated much strength training yet but I will. I have lost 6 lbs in the last 2 months. They say walking is one of the easiest forms of exercise plus it so soothing and relaxing. It's Free to walk and that doesn't require a membership to the gym!!!!

Ms Sassy
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I used to hate 'going' to the gym, finding the motivation to kick myself up the ar$e was incredibly difficult :(

But I soon realised that when i did force myself to get down there, I actually started to enjoy myself at the gym.

Being self conscious, I hated the thought of going out in public to exercise (the local riff-raff would jeer and mock as they drove past.... cowards!!) but it made me hate myself or any form of exercise.

Once I'd been to the gym for a couple of months, I found I could run on the treadmil for 3 to 4 mins at a time (instead of the 20 to 30 seconds originally) Which then made me feel more confident exercising outside.

I now run on the street (saves me the money of the gym :) )

My weight loss got the boyfriends attention and he decided he wanted to make some improvements too, which means that we now go out for walks together, runs together, and he is now teahing me inline skating (every little helps)

Start off one day at a time, go for walks in the area... find someone (friend or family) that would be interested in joining you for the walk (makes it pass quicker and feel less of a chore)

When you feel ready, run for short amounts of time.. but most of all, listen to your body (you will have people tell you that "you should be doing this" and "maybe you should try faster or further" at the end of the day your body will tell you if your overdoing it or underdoing it.

Just force yourself to do something.. ANYTHING.. and the motivation will follow in its own time (one day you will just wake up and realise you dont hate the idea of that exercise anymore)

Good luck in your journey
    xxx
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Find a mate to hold you accountable. Helped me.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 30+ lbs! I agree with others about walking. I just came home from a brisk 2.25 mile walk and I feel great! I'd also like to recommend Leslie Sansone Walk At Home videos. There are some full length ones on Youtube.

Maybe you can fit in other workouts from Youtube after taking your daughter to school? Even a 15 minute video is better then nothing. I like using Fitness Blender, Blogilates and Jessica Smith, but I'm always trying something new.

Good luck! :)
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I agree, you just do it! I never liked to exercise. After a week and 1/2 of making myself go almost every day, there was a Sunday that I was planning to not go to the gym, I was sitting reading and having coffee at my favorite coffee shop. I got really antsy and felt like I needed to exercise. I went to the gym and that was it. My original plan was 5 days a week at 30 minutes a day just doing cardio. It didn't take me long to make my goal 6 days a week, 50 minutes a day plus stretching and free weights. I often go over that and have added some water jogging, too. I walked a mile and a half at lunch today and thought I'd take the evening off from the gym and just couldn't do it. Went in and rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes and did some free weights. I work everyday with a 1/2+ commute each way. I am 63 and have a defibrillator implanted. If I can find it inside of me, you can find something!
  • xxhieixx
    xxhieixx Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just make myself do it, even on days (like today) when I really don't feel like it. I remind myself why I'm doing this and how unhappy I am with my body. I got some huge motivation by looking at Jillian Michaels Body Revolution results...was amazing! So I started that a little over a week ago. I kept waking up and staring at myself in the mirror...that was really enough for me.
    Once you start it goes by fast! Just get up and do it, even if it's only 10 minutes
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    First, great job! I agree with everyone on walking. That was how I got started when I hadn't worked out for years. Also, if you have limited time, I highly recommend Fitness Blender.com. You can find workouts at short as 5 minutes and do them at home. For me, I am not comfortable working out in a public space so FitnessBlender has been excellent.
  • MSKelley0428
    MSKelley0428 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well... it's could be a hard one or an easy one. Do what I do.... just DO IT! The hardest part is putting on your shoes... while you're putting on your workout gear... don't think about how miserable you're going to be while you are working out, think about how awesome you're going to feel when you are done because YOU DID IT! :)
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Your doing great. Start by walking on the days you are off. I love going to the track. I see people of all ages and sizes that inspire me. I use a app called run keeper to track my walk. I love that it tells you the pace that your walking at. I try to keep that pace for a few days and then start trying to bet it. It also syncs with mfp. Just want to say your doing great!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    one step at a time.

put on gym clothes.
    get car keys
    get in car. rest
    go to gym
    get out of car
    go in gym
    rest
    get on machine