PCOS Success stories...

Options

Replies

• SexyOldBAG
    SexyOldBAG Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am currently 215 lbs on 1000 mg metformin and have a pretty bad case of PCOS as well. I have just about every symptom listed -_- yay..... lol anyways, a few years back I had started at 180 lbs and some how got down to 145 lbs just through walking and dancing while cleaning around my tiny tiny trailer that I lived in (And I mean TRAILER! The kind you tow.) It was a pretty amazing weight loss since it dropped so fast! I dropped it all within 3 months! Well I started gaining weight again in 2011 and got to my highest weight of 228 lbs D: No bueno!! Thankfully dropped instantly but I realized that I need to work out again. Also, partially thankfully, I lost my job so I now have time to work out constantly.
    I started at 222.6 and have already lost about 7 lbs and am at 215.8. I have found that the most effective way to lose weight while working is to find some time to mix it in with what you are doing. If you are sitting try to move your torso a lot and your legs as much as you can. I did this when I was alone because I didn't want to look crazy and also did it while I was driving. When I am cleaning my house I put on music to make it more enjoyable and make sure that I take the time to bust out in dance and even when stationary I am moving my legs and body to the beat of the music. A great song to dance to is "work B*tch" by Britney Spears. It is VERY motivation! :) When you are sitting down watching TV fill up two LARGE water bottles and use them to do curls and other various arm exercises.
    Also PORTION your meals!!!! It REALLY helps to count calories because it teaches you to portion what you are losing.
    I usually set a low goal for myself because I generally work it off and then it allows me to eat more (Or feel like I am eating more.) you will hate it at first but your body will adjust and will feel SOO much healthier!!!
    Watch the carb intake, those are BAD BAD BAD news for us PCOS ladies!! I still have some but I have SEVERELY reduced the amount that I take in on a weekly basis. I do still have my cheat days, quite frequently, but I make sure to work off what I took in if it wasn't very healthy. And it is good to occasionally binge but try finding healthier things to binge on :) Special K has a brand of chips that is VERY low calorie/sodium/carb and they have various flavors. There are also some gluten free rice chips that you can get that are low calorie and taste pretty good on their own (They taste salty!! :D)
    Just remember that there are SEVERAL things that you do in the day that burn calories and you can look it up to see if it is listed and if it isn't then find out what the average amount of calories burned per minute is, add it on here and track it that way. Also, fornication burns calories and a lot more than you think :P Foreplay included!
    Track your inches as well!!! Your weight might not fluctuate but your waste size might!
    Don't get discouraged by the scale going up occasionally because that WILL happen! Weigh yourself every morning and take it as it is. Just think to yourself, "It will go down and I will look great if I keep it up!!"
    I hope this has helped you. If you want some more support feel free to add me as a friend. I would love to have some PCOS ladies to chat with through this journey.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and Hashimotos hypothyroid. Ive been obese for over the last 20 years. When i reached 232 lbs I talked to my endo who started me on metformin and sent me to see the nutritionist at the local hospital who then put me on a diabetics diet for the insulin resistance associated with pcos.

I do yoga and belly dance drills 3 times a week then the elliptical and stair stepper twice a week. 2 days to let my bum rest

e064c351-268d-437d-8ac4-0566121021e0.jpg
  • gidgette1972
    gidgette1972 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As the other gals, I too have PCOS- by sticking to a low carb diet and regularly raking my metformin I have been able to lose 28# since Jan1. Sticking to my 1200 calories is very important and do not eat calories that I have lost during exercise. Oh, Lost of water as well.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed years ago, started on Metformin and would occasionally try to diet but didn't make much progress and the weight would always return. In 2009, I had all my regular blood work done, and despite having my Metformin doubled all my numbers were still climbing. That was enough to finally scare me into the pathway of health. On Aug. 26, 2009 I joined Weight Watchers at 232 lbs at 5'5". That was it, no going back. I lost 85 lbs in 14 months. I strictly adhered to the plan and walked for exercise. I was able to go off the Metformin and all of my numbers have stayed in very healthy ranges. I have not used birth control in 16 years and no pregnancy, but I had two daughters at a young age, so I have come to grips with not having anymore children. My periods are normal and my symptoms few (most happy to not have "crazy" moments any longer or very far in between, there were times I thought I needed hospitalization).
    After I lost the 85 lbs, which came off steadily, I failed to learn to maintain and started putting weight back on. In Jan. 2013 I started my weight loss journey again with MFP and I have lost 22 of 40 lbs. It is much slower this time around. I am older and I refuse to go back to a 1200 calorie lifestyle. I now work out 6 days per week. For a time I did heavy weight lifting all 6 days and added in cardio, but now I have transitioned into a gentler program of full body workouts 4 days per week with two days of cardio. The weight has come off slower, BUT, I have almost completely rebuilt my body. I am strong and I love the way my body looks. I even have some abs!
    I find I do best if I keep my carbs below 200g per day and keep them healthier carbs. I feel the best if I aim between 130-180g. I do allow myself treats but not everyday. I eat way less sugar than I ever did and keep a pretty high protein level. Again, I take no medication.
    I am sure I would lose faster if I would cut down my calories even more, but my physical performance is important too, so I keep around 1650 calories. It's a good month if I lose 3 lbs, but I am happy and satisfied. I was also recently diagnosed Hypothyroid, so hopefully correcting that issue will help me lose faster.
    My daughter was also diagnosed and she went right for the diet and lost all her weight and then got pregnant had a beautiful little girl 6 months ago and is pregnant again. She eats a Paleo diet and has had great success losing.
    One thing I hold onto is consistency! If I keep doing all the right things I will end up where I want to be, eventually. I exercise, no excuses, whether I feel like it or not, it is non negotiable. Do the exercises you enjoy and it won't seem like so much work. My eating has to stay on track because I love myself more than I love food. I DO fall off the wagon sometimes, but I pick myself up, immediately, brush myself off and get back to business. I don't give myself a choice anymore. Life is to precious and to short.
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have never been diagnosed but ended up in the ER when a massive cyst burst on my ovaries a few years ago.. I show almost every symptom (recently learned about pcos and have a DR appointed soon) but I started diet and walking 40 minutes a day on February 1st 2014 and I'm already down 25 pounds.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 40 pounds. It is possible to lose weight without cutting carbs with PCOS. However, it will be VERY slow (it's taken me 8 months to lose 20 pounds). I'm attempting to cut the carbs and see what happens. Cardio and strength training are both very important. Especially since the fat tends to be around your gut which is the unhealthiest place for it to be.

Did you know that your PCOS symptoms will get better with weight loss? Now how's that for motivation!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Severe PCOS, started at 196+ lbs and infertile.

Have lost 47 so far since June 2012 and managed to get pregnant without fertility tx, and easily dropped all pregnancy weight. (Baby is almost 6mo old)
  • cjen323
    cjen323 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I began MFP about 5 weeks ago and lost 4lbs first week!!! This gave me realistic hope that I may be able to loose a good 1-2 lbs p/wk. However that has not been the case. I lost 0.5 lbs this week (and one other week). I'm beginning to feel hopeless, sad and extremely depressed. Thinking of going on an antidepressant. I've been on Lexapro before in 2008-2009, but I gained a good 30 pounds on it. Since 2008 I've gained 90 lbs and have only lost 9 total in the last 5 weeks (including the first week which you always loose more than ever). Has anyone, with PCOS been on antidepressant? If so, which one?
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Bump to come back & read when I need inspiration =) I have PCOS and have lost 28lbs so far, but still have a long way to go. Lower carb seems to be the key.
  • momoneka
    momoneka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am new here and this thread is pure motivation! Reading everything here I know I can do this!
  • Luckldy31
    Luckldy31 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ahh I needed to find this thread today. So motivating to read through the posts!

I'm PCOS, had an ovary removed because of a benign tumor, and have insulin resistance. Metformin made me sick and BC gave me high blood pressure, so my doctor put me on inositol powder, which basically does the same thing, and also berberine for the IR. I also balance carbs to protein, and never eat more than 35g carbs per meal/snack and stay as close to 1200 cals/day as I can. I've lost 30lbs so far (long way to go) and I workout 5 days a week.
  • ZsaMoli
    ZsaMoli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid, I have a PCOS too. I will go to the gynecologist on the next week. My menstruation cycle is fine (I had problems with it 10 years ago), but I have hairs on strange parts of my body (face, chest, belly...), and I think I don't lose weight easily. I started to run and use MFP on last August, and I lost 14 kg (approx 30 lbs) so far. I do excercise almost every day: I go by bike to work (it's around 15 km biking a day), run 2-3 times a week, doing Zumba Toning exercise 2-3 times a week, and I eat around 1200 calories. My first 10 kg was lost in the first two months, and then nothing for months! (Okay.... at the wintertime I didn't biking or running) Now I started again to lose my weight, but it is soooooooo slow. Finally I decided I need medical help. I hope I can reach my goal!
    You girls and women here are awesome! Thank you for giving me motivation! :)
  • chazster123
    Options
    Read some amazing posts on here ladies :) really inspiring and motivating :)

I myself has PCOS and severe endometriosis and gained two stone in the last year and a half after invasive surgery.

have lost half a stone and am now trying to shift my last stone and a half.

The best way for me to lose weight, which may be frowned upon but I have had great sucess in the past and only lose it as my health conditions make it nearly impossible to lose weight, is a low calorie diet mixed with loooaddddss of water, light exercise (light due to pain) and vitamins. I am on day 10 and feeling great at the moment but wont weigh myself till day 14 :)..... although had a cheeky look at the measuring tape and am down 3/4 of an inch on waist, hips and thighs :)

The combination of both medical issues together do cause a great deal or depression. I would love children and feel that im constantly reminded every day with the pain I endure that theres about 90% chance that I'll never conceive. Due to this I find I hit brick walls and when I do I comfort eat.... hard! Then one day of that I get into the mind set of 'ruined diet may as well continue whats it matter when I've undone the good I've done' and end up in a vicious cycle.

this is something I have to avoid and would love and appreciate any support to help keep my spirits high :)

well done again to everyone :)
  • nic_why
    nic_why Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, these stories are so inspiring. I have PCOS and just went back on metformin. From 2008-2010 I successfully lost almost 70lbs but then randomly, put back on 20 and now I just can't get it off again. Nothing seems to work. I just calorie counted and worked out a lot (running, circuit training, etc).

I'll definitely try playing with my carb percentages. Can I ask if you successful PCOSers eat the calories recommended by MFP or do you set custom calorie goals?
  • JTOct25
    JTOct25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I was diagnosed shortly before my 21st birthday via an ultra sound that showed the cysts in my ovaries. If any of you with PCOS need additional support, I sometimes visit the SoulCysters message board for help! Just an FYI.

I'm working on losing weight before my wedding this fall. :) If all goes well, my fiance and I are considering children, but I know that will be a whole different struggle.

I know I need to cut down on my carbs, especially those with a high-GI load. Any ideas from those with success what to eat? I can't have eggs (I have an egg-white intolerance) or fish, but anything else is fair game. Thanks. :)
  • Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    PCOS ...diagnosed at age 20. Losing weight is probably a tad harder than most, but absolutely not impossible. I have lost 150 in one year before...I lost that same 150 pounds about 5 years ago and looky, I am here this time and hopefully this is the last time, but if it isn't I haven't failed because I haven't quit.

It isn't that much harder to lose, but it sure is easy to gain it back again. UGHHHHH...however, I have lost 12 pounds this month!!!! :drinker:
  • emienne
    emienne Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, Insulin resistance and pyrroles disorder (blood disorder that make it difficult to absorb zinc and other vitamins/minerals). I've lost 30.5kg (67 pounds) over the last 9 months. I still have about 43kg (94 pounds) to go. I no longer eat pasta, and try and mostly keep to low GI foods. I'm losing weight at half the rate I should be which is extremely frustrating. But I'm not stopping because even though it's slow, I'm still losing.

I've been using a Leslie Sansone Walk at home dvd and my fitness level has improved so much over the last few months. At the start I could only do a few minutes and now I can usually do 45+ minutes. I also am doing some strength/resistance exercises.

I'm working on trying to get my protein intake up. I'm losing so much hair - unfortunately only the hair on my head that I want to keep, not any of the horrible unwanted hair that grows everywhere else!!

I fell pregnant with my daughter naturally when I was about 124kg (273 pounds). It did take 5 years of charting my cycle with temperatures and ovulation tests. Nothing happened until after I had a hysterosalpingogram (test where an xray is taken after dye is injected into uterus and forced through fallopean tubes) which showed I had a blocked tube. I had a miscarriage and then I had my daughter. I was on metformin at the time. I'm not taking it any more. I didn't gain any weight while I was pregnant, although after she was born I kept gaining.
  • CeeHannah
    CeeHannah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, Insulin resistance and pyrroles disorder (blood disorder that make it difficult to absorb zinc and other vitamins/minerals). I've lost 30.5kg (67 pounds) over the last 9 months. I still have about 43kg (94 pounds) to go. I no longer eat pasta, and try and mostly keep to low GI foods. I'm losing weight at half the rate I should be which is extremely frustrating. But I'm not stopping because even though it's slow, I'm still losing.

I've been using a Leslie Sansone Walk at home dvd and my fitness level has improved so much over the last few months. At the start I could only do a few minutes and now I can usually do 45+ minutes. I also am doing some strength/resistance exercises.

I'm working on trying to get my protein intake up. I'm losing so much hair - unfortunately only the hair on my head that I want to keep, not any of the horrible unwanted hair that grows everywhere else!!

I fell pregnant with my daughter naturally when I was about 124kg (273 pounds). It did take 5 years of charting my cycle with temperatures and ovulation tests. Nothing happened until after I had a hysterosalpingogram (test where an xray is taken after dye is injected into uterus and forced through fallopean tubes) which showed I had a blocked tube. I had a miscarriage and then I had my daughter. I was on metformin at the time. I'm not taking it any more. I didn't gain any weight while I was pregnant, although after she was born I kept gaining.

I am glad to see somebody else struggles with leslie sansone workouts! I do the 3 mile walk that has mary kay in it and I swear half way through I am dying and gasping for air! It is nice to see eventually it will get better!
  • carmlettmix
    carmlettmix Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OMG I almost cried. I'm struggling with this PCOS and always good to see people balancing life with PCOS and have success. You're motivation for sure. Its funny cause I was just crying yesterday about this and everything that goes with it so its a blessing seeing someone push through this and succeed. THANK YOU FOR YOUR STORY!
  • KassandraBBB
    KassandraBBB Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I went from 201 lbs to 140lbs and conceived naturally and gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. No medicines, but I'm under 25 so that played a factor too I assume
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!