Personal Chef Here! Ask Me Anything!

Options

Replies

• drocknoel
    drocknoel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Here's a challenge, I have food intolerances-
    Fructans onion garlic and mushrooms
    Fructose - fruit sugar also in many vegetables like snow peas beetroot sweet potato celery asparagus avocado etc
    Gos - beans and legumes except canned lentils
    Dairy and wheat pistachios and cashews are also out.
    I was (previous to my relatively recent diagnosis) an ethical vegan, and still am
    What would you make for me?
    Unfortunately fructose can be found in just about any fruit. I’m sorry, that really sucks you have so many intolerances. Are you still able to enjoy the occasional fruit, or is it a serious intolerance in which any amount of fructose at all causes problems?

Anyways, one of my favorite lunches is a spicy quinoa chicken, which can be easily altered by simply removing the chicken to fit within vegan standards. Quinoa is one of the few nonmeats in the world that contains complete protein. It’s pretty easy to make. Cook off some quinoa (or for more flavor, add in some wild rice) and then mix in a salsa that your body will agree with (my suggestion: tomato, jalapeno, fresh cilantro, and then use dried spices to make it taste good). If you have tofu, I would saute it and then toss that in as well for some more added protein.

You might also want to try buckwheat, which isn’t actually related to wheat at all besides “I’m a plant.” Seeds should probably also turn into your best friend (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, chia seeds, the list goes on). Hopefully this helped you out a bit!
    I am always looking for high protein-low fat meals and snacks that are delicious. I don't do 'diet foods' and prefer natural ingredients. What are your favorites?
    My client actually just had me try quinoa chips when I was at her house on Monday. I was pretty impressed!

The terms “diet food” and “spa food” drive me insane because those are just terms used by people who don’t realize that eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to eat a tiny amount.

The spicy quinoa chicken I make is pretty wholesome and it’s super easy to find organic free-range chicken breast nowadays. Instead of sautéing the chicken like I do, you can also boil it or bake it in the oven then cut it into chunks. If I’m feeling lazy I just buy an organic salsa and throw it in, which saves me some time.

There’s also a series on YouTube called Feast of Fiction that did Lembas Bread from Lord of the Rings, and it was completely vegan.

As for dinners, I absolutely love ahi tuna. It’s super high in protein and gives me the good types of fat. Pop that baby on the grill and sear it on both sides, then serve with arugula tossed in a sesame-ginger vinaigrette and a little homemade spicy mayo on the side and you have yourself a winner!
    Last night I was making COd on the grill I put olive oil on the steaks (cod steaks) and they stuck and fell apart. What can I do to avoid this? Also, what can I do to add more "flavor" (marinade?)
    I’ll be the first person to tell you that I hate cod. To me it’s just a terrible fish. If you want to make it taste like something, batter it and make fish and chips with it or add a glaze to it. I like making a honey soy glaze, which can easily be made by putting about a ½ cup of soy sauce and a tbsp of honey in a pan and boiling it until it reduces. Bake the fish in the oven, then when the fish is nearly done spoon the glaze (it should still be kind of loose, you don’t want it thickening too much and if you overboil the glaze the sugar in the honey will get hard and caramelize) over the fish, then pop it back in the oven for a couple more minutes. Pull the fish out then spoon the liquid that dripped back on over the fish on top again.

As for your grilling issue, make sure your grill is clean! Turn the grill on and let it get super hot. Scrape the grill with a grill brush until it looks like most of the residue is gone. While you’re doing that, find a towel you never use anymore and soak it in some vegetable oil. Using tongs, brush the grill with the towel. Depending on how dirty the grill is it might flame up, but that’s okay since you’re simply burning off the bad stuff. This oiling of the grill is referred to as “seasoning” the grill and is necessary to prevent things from sticking. Seafood is super finicky on the grill, you need to make sure the grill is clean and seasoned AND you have to make sure the fish is oiled as well.
    Is it possible to get the bbq taste and texture without having a bbq? I have a conventional oven with grill function and sometimes I feel like making home made kebobs and I don't own a bbq grill, is it possible for me to do so?
    It sure is! They sell cast-iron toppers for your stove that will simulate grilling, and you can also buy ridged pans that will do the trick as well.

If you want to do ribs but don’t have a smoker OR a grill, simply trim the ribs and put on your favorite dry rub combination (add smoked paprika for a nice smoky smell and taste!), then wrap them in both plastic wrap AND aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 300 degrees for 2.5-3 hours. When you pull them out they should be falling off the bone. From there you can brush them with barbeque sauce and serve!
    I'd like to start preparing my work lunches on Sunday evening, making a batch for the whole week, as you mentioned you do for one of your clients.

I've been looking at a few options and quite like the idea of doing a salad with quinoa and chicken breast as I'm trying to up my protein intake.

What would you recommend that would be easy to prep, last well in the fridge and make enough for 5 meals at about 300 calories?
    As long as you keep it there, almost anything should last a week in the refrigerator. This week I just made a Mediterranean antipasto salad for my client, which includes tuna, black beans, red pepper, capers, lemon juice, chopped rosemary, and olive oil. Store that in a separate container and bring some mixed greens with you and you have yourself a great lunch. One serving should be somewhere around 290 calories with 18g of protein.
    hello,

Thanks so much for this! I'm currently hooked on a ready-made ranchero chicken soup and would like to make my own lower salt (am assumng that ready-made is packed with the stuff) and cheaper version. No issues with regards to carbs/gluten etc (although low calorie would be a win for me) but I have an "English palette" (i.e. bit pathetic) when it comes to spices!

thanks again,

S
    Before you dismiss the ready-made stuff, check the nutrition facts to see if it is indeed packed with salt! If it is, use this recipe as a guideline to make your own: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ranchero-soup
    I'm a really good cook but for the life of me I can't make an omelet (even in a non stick pan) without it sticking and/or breaking it. Do you have any tips or tricks?
    Ah, omelettes. The bane of many-a-cook’s existence… First off, omelettes cook low and slow! Make sure your burner is at a medium heat. Even if you’re using a nonstick pan, spray it with nonstick spray. Let the egg cook in the pan until it just starts to coagulate (turn solid) on the bottom, then pull it back from the sides using a spatula and tilt it. Make sure you lift the pan off the burner slightly when you do this. Keep doing that until you have a cooked omelette!

Jamie Oliver has a good video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuvWLhwSb64 Skip to 6:30 and he shows how to actually cook it. Omelettes are a trial-and-error thing, you won’t really get it until you magically make one correctly.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    hello,

Thanks so much for this! I'm currently hooked on a ready-made ranchero chicken soup and would like to make my own lower salt (am assumng that ready-made is packed with the stuff) and cheaper version. No issues with regards to carbs/gluten etc (although low calorie would be a win for me) but I have an "English palette" (i.e. bit pathetic) when it comes to spices!

thanks again,

S
    Before you dismiss the ready-made stuff, check the nutrition facts to see if it is indeed packed with salt! If it is, use this recipe as a guideline to make your own: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ranchero-soup

Thank you! I've not checked the salt content but I'm also a fan of bulk cooking for 50p a serving, rather than paying £2 a pot! :smile:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Train A leaves the station at 1:38 PM and travels at 45 MPH.

Train B leaves at 1:45 PM and travels at 48 MPH.

How long will it take train B to pass train A?
    2 hours, 20 minutes, and one second, assuming they both left the station at precisely 0 seconds?
    I get 3:30 PM, which would be 1 hour 45 minutes from when B started.

(With them each having gone 84 miles.)

I get 3 minutes because the question is how long will it take train A to pass train B and assuming these are North America trains of standard size it takes a max of three minutes for two train to pass each other. The question was not at what time nor after how much travel time. :drinker:

the question also did not specify that train B is leaving the same station as train A.

Then an idea flew into her funnel.

so it's this
    Thomas-the-Tank-Engine.jpg
    versus this
    280px-TooManyFireEngines67.png
    Cinders and ashes! FIFY
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm a really good cook but for the life of me I can't make an omelet (even in a non stick pan) without it sticking and/or breaking it. Do you have any tips or tricks?

I'm no professional chef, but I have a bit of experience with cast iron skillets.

The "trick" for them to be non-stick...(besides the obvious of them being seasoned properly)...is to 1) make sure you are using enough oil/butter, and 2) make sure the pan is hot enough before adding the egg mixture. #2 is usually what trips people up...and this goes for cooking most anything else in cast iron too. If it isn't hot enough, the mixture seems to seep into the microscopic pores of the surface and *then* cook...which means sticking. Of course, there's a fine line between "hot enough" and "too hot" depending on what you're cooking. When you hit the sweet spot, you'll know it (afterwards, at least). And when you do, clean-up will be as simple as a swipe with a paper towel.

(I suspect this may also apply to non-stick pans, but not entirely sure about that.)
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the omelet help. I think I am putting my pan on too high then and not using enough oil.
    Darn, Julie Child always made it look so easy!
  • soonergirl03
    soonergirl03 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat more healthy but I have no idea how to cook vegetables, I was raised on canned foods and that's so high in sodium. I have started using frozen vegetables, but since spring is here and summer is coming I want to cook fresh veggies on the grill. I have 2 small children and they love vegetables so could you could you give me some suggestions on to cook them. Also if you don't mind throw in some suggestions for breakfast and lunch thanks a lot!

Kathy
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Train A leaves the station at 1:38 PM and travels at 45 MPH.

Train B leaves at 1:45 PM and travels at 48 MPH.

How long will it take train B to pass train A?
    2 hours, 20 minutes, and one second, assuming they both left the station at precisely 0 seconds?
    I get 3:30 PM, which would be 1 hour 45 minutes from when B started.

(With them each having gone 84 miles.)

I get 3 minutes because the question is how long will it take train A to pass train B and assuming these are North America trains of standard size it takes a max of three minutes for two train to pass each other. The question was not at what time nor after how much travel time. :drinker:

the question also did not specify that train B is leaving the same station as train A.

Then an idea flew into her funnel.

so it's this
    Thomas-the-Tank-Engine.jpg
    versus this
    280px-TooManyFireEngines67.png
    Cinders and ashes! FIFY

MCD was cross. She thought that Sir Topham Pizza should keep his mind off of her funnel.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    How fabulous! I haven't read the other replies...so perhaps you've answered this already, but about how much would it cost for someone to have a personal chef on a regular basis--say 3 to 5 days per week? A personal chef is a wonderful occupation and how I wish I had one!
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Any low cal Mac n cheese recipe
  • drocknoel
    drocknoel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've not checked the salt content but I'm also a fan of bulk cooking for 50p a serving, rather than paying £2 a pot!
    Yeah, I don’t blame you haha. Home cooking is a huge money saver!
    I'm trying to eat more healthy but I have no idea how to cook vegetables, I was raised on canned foods and that's so high in sodium. I have started using frozen vegetables, but since spring is here and summer is coming I want to cook fresh veggies on the grill. I have 2 small children and they love vegetables so could you could you give me some suggestions on to cook them. Also if you don't mind throw in some suggestions for breakfast and lunch thanks a lot!
    Welcome to the world of fresh veggies! You’ll be happier in this land than anywhere else!

One of my favorite ways to cook vegetables in the summer is to marinade them in balsamic vinegar for a little bit and then throw them right on the grill! Just cut them up beforehand and let them soak in a bowl for about 15 minutes. If the grates on your grill are too far apart to do that, put down some aluminum foil and cook it on that. Sauteing the veggies in a little bit of oil really lets the natural flavors come out. I love cooking bell peppers this way, the quick cooking really brings out the sweetness in them.

I take it you’re looking into adding veggies to lunch and dinner. If you have some tomatoes on the vine, letting them cook in a nice, hot pan while you’re making scrambled eggs is a great addition to the breakfast! If you’re looking for lunch recipes, you can put together a cooked salad or throw them in a chicken salad or something. The best part about using fresh, raw veggies is that you don’t even need to cook them for them to taste good!
    How fabulous! I haven't read the other replies...so perhaps you've answered this already, but about how much would it cost for someone to have a personal chef on a regular basis--say 3 to 5 days per week? A personal chef is a wonderful occupation and how I wish I had one!
    Don’t worry, this thread is pretty new so I haven’t answered that one yet 

Usually personal chefs cook things in bulk and then portion it so that all you have to do is pull the food out of the fridge/freezer and heat it up. It’s hard to give an exact price since every personal chef is different, but for me it depends on how many people I’m cooking for and how many meals they would like me to prepare. If I’m cooking for two people and I’m cooking 5 lunches and dinners for the week (which is what my main service is), they are looking at anywhere between $250-$350 total for the week (including the grocery bill. I charge a fee and then do the shopping for them, then they reimburse me the grocery bill on top of paying me). It may seem like a lot, but realistically those people are paying less than if they had eaten out every day that week like most people do.

If you’re looking for someone to cook for you 3-5 days per week that’s basically considered a private chef, and they usually charge hourly anywhere between $35-$60 an hour, depending on where you live.
    Any low cal Mac n cheese recipe
    The hardest part about making a low-calorie mac n’ cheese is finding some way to cut out the carbs from the noodles, which is where most of the carbs in the dish come from anyways. You could try using spaghetti squash in place of macaroni, but I honestly don’t think it would work that well. Other people just eliminate the macaroni and instead use pureed, dried-out cauliflower mixed with some egg to “simulate” the noodles. I’d recommend finding a mild-flavored veggie that is kind of soft but still has a bit of a bite to it, like maybe a butternut squash. Or cube up some eggplant and bake it like you would a baked macaroni and cheese. Hmm, I think I’ll have to try that one…

Or you can take the easy way out and buy low-carb macaroni noodles.

Basically, once you figure out how to replace the macaroni noodles, the meal becomes instantly low-carb.
  • got2go2concerts
    got2go2concerts Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Looking for a good recipe for Ground Chicken.
  • RobinLynx
    RobinLynx Posts: 60
    Options
    Oh my, this sounds delicious! Do you ever use eryrithritol in recipes?
    Yeah, coconut flour tends to make everything super dense. I'd go with almond flour instead. Coconut oil is a great alternative as well, since it is solid at room temperature. A few different recipes I've seen have as little as a teaspoon of pure maple syrup, but seeing as you're avoiding sugar content, I understand why you wouldn't go that route. The almond flour should mix with the water and form a nice little paste. Throw in a ton of nuts and seeds and it *should* hold together pretty well, especially when you add in chia seeds.

Otherwise if you're up to experiment with other ingredients or a bar I've personally made myself (with some modifications), here's a recipe for you that makes a pretty good bar (I would link directly to it, but unfortunately I can't =\ ). Instead I'll just credit Jamie Eason with this recipe!

Pumpkin Protein Bars
    Nutrition (without walnuts): 1 square = 47 calories, .7 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3.7 g protein
    Nutrition (with walnuts): 1 square = 63 calories, 2.3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 4 g protein

½ C Xylitol Brown Sugar Blend (Ideal) -You can use bakeable stevia in place of this.
    1 - 4 oz. jar baby food applesauce -Or grate an apple (granny smith for a little tartness is nice!), or unsweetened apple sauce
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
    ½ tsp. ground clove
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    ½ tsp. salt
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    4 large egg whites
    1 - 15 oz. can of raw pumpkin -Or bananas/a fruit that can be kind of mushy
    2 C oat flour -Or flour of your choice
    2 scoops vanilla whey protein
    ½ cup almond milk
    ½ C chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350.
    Spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
    Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
    Add the final 3 ingredients (4, if adding walnuts), and mix until incorporated. Spread batter into the Pyrex dish and bake for 30 min.
    Makes 24 squares.

Like I said, you can play around with the ingredients to find something you like. You can also add seeds to it if you want to up the protein. My favorite saying is "recipes are just guidelines!"
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Drocknoel, I just want to say this is a VERY wonderful offer! :flowerforyou:

I am trying to incorporate more flavor into the things I cook. I am rather 'texture phobic' and so don't eat many sauces, gravy's or the like. I would rather taste the 'food' than what it is covered up with. I like trying to experiment with using fresh spices.

I am intrigued by Indian cusine (have never tried it), but do not like things too spicy or hot, and once again... so many of the dishes have gravy-like coverings.

I don't eat meat with bones, sausage or ham (pork loin & bacon are fine), or potatoes. Beef is fine, chicken, shellfish and a few fish. Most veggies are good.

Any gentle & flavorful suggestions for a fussy eater?
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    great! thanks for the offer :)

i will definitely bookmark you for future reference!
  • dodochoga
    dodochoga Posts: 33
    Options
    Is it possible to get the bbq taste and texture without having a bbq? I have a conventional oven with grill function and sometimes I feel like making home made kebobs and I don't own a bbq grill, is it possible for me to do so?
    It sure is! They sell cast-iron toppers for your stove that will simulate grilling, and you can also buy ridged pans that will do the trick as well.

If you want to do ribs but don’t have a smoker OR a grill, simply trim the ribs and put on your favorite dry rub combination (add smoked paprika for a nice smoky smell and taste!), then wrap them in both plastic wrap AND aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 300 degrees for 2.5-3 hours. When you pull them out they should be falling off the bone. From there you can brush them with barbeque sauce and serve!

Thank you so much! You really made me happy with that reply lol :D
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend recently discovered kale chips, but they're so expensive! Do you know how to make them at home? We unfortunately don't have a dehydrator.
    And while I'm at it, do you have any recipes for kale in general? I've never cooked the stuff before.
    And lastly, how the heck do you cut onions without crying? I have overly sensitive eyes and I've tried every trick I've heard of. Nothing works.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend recently discovered kale chips, but they're so expensive! Do you know how to make them at home? We unfortunately don't have a dehydrator.
    And while I'm at it, do you have any recipes for kale in general? I've never cooked the stuff before.
    And lastly, how the heck do you cut onions without crying? I have overly sensitive eyes and I've tried every trick I've heard of. Nothing works.

recipe for kale chips that i have recently tried. was delicious and they turned crispy like real chips. :)

http://localfoods.about.com/od/chipsfriedsomebaked/r/Kale-Chips.htm

i also found the following stew recipe and added it to my "to do" cooking list but i havent tried it yet.

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2013/02/rustic-tomato-rice-kale-stew-comfort.html

about the onion: wear a diving mask :D

edit: i just realised you probably wanted tips from the chef and not from me ;) but maybe youll still like it!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    my 4 yr old daughter's allergic to chickpeas, lentils, some kinds of wholegrain wheat (fine with weetabix but some brands of bread and pasta are problematic; white bread and white pasta are usually okay) and her paediatrician advised us not to give her nuts either.

Any ideas for nutritionally balanced quick and easy meals and snacks?