grits and eggs

Options
ok I haven't had grits in a long time. I wanted to know if it is good to have grits and scrambled eggs or grits and sofe boiled eggs to eat in the morning? I usually add a few sprinkles of syrup for the grits.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Eggs are pretty much nutritionally packed, eggs would/could work just about anytime of the day or night.
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I LOVE grits and make a bowl for dinner some nights. Get the good ones for some extra fiber. (of course I think instant grits are nasty so take that for what it is worth)
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like stirring a scrambled egg into the grits as they cook. I also add a sprinkle of cheese and a tiny slab of butter...Not necessarily the "healthiest" way to eat them, but it helps carry me over to lunch a little better. By "healthiest", I mean low cal.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Yum! I love grits and eggs. I also do the same with oatmeal. It is a great way to get your fiber and protein and definitely holds me over to lunch.
  • Addictedtodamon
    Options
    great I guess I will have some for breakfast this morning after my workout
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Person from the UK here, what are grits??
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    When I did eat grits, I would stir in an egg while the grits were boiling and add 1 slice of FF american cheese to it. I didn't need to add any butter.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

A sort of maize porridge, very popular in the Southern US. It's naturally a little bland, so it makes a great base for flavorings: cheese, etc.

Since starting my recent diet I had been avoiding them, but this morning I whipped up a serving of the 3-minute kind, seasoned it with adobo and a tbsp of grated parmesan, then topped it off with 2 eggs microwaved in a teacup. Grits are not exactly packed with nutrients, but they are relatively low-cal: when I added it up the whole meal only came to 290 calories, and I know from experience that it will keep me full until lunch. This is going right back into my breakfast rotation.
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like grits with sunny side up eggs mixed in and a dab of butter, salt and cracked pepper. I've honestly never eaten them with a sweetener.

*I grew up in the South.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm a New England girl, but a friend introduced me to grits and I love them. Like he said, 'They are the glue that holds it all together'. I think whether they are good for you depends on what you add to them. I love eggs, sausage, cheese butter, shrimp...it's all good, but not good for me. So, when I have grits, I try to stick to a small serving with shrimp or eggs. I like mine savory so I put sauteed peppers and onions.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I love grits and eggs. I like to add scrambled eggs and a little bit of cheese to mine. You just reminded me that I haven't had grits in 2 years! Time to put it back in rotation.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    A little cheesy grits with egg on top is right as rain! Go for it! Although I never put sugar in my grits, a pinch of salt and a bit of pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika are my favorites. Dang it look what you did, I need me some grits now!