Outta carb allotment, still need more calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The problem with protein is once you consume more protein than your fat your protein turns into glucose, I would try to up your intake ( are you hungry? Or doing this because of your calorie goals?) by having something with more fat. Ie, omelette with cheese.

We need at least an equal amount of fat compared to protein or else the protein turns into a carb?

I eat 170ish g of protein daily. I eat 80ish g of fat daily. You're telling me that 90g of my protein actually becomes glucose?

Through what sort of wizardry does this happen?

:huh:

What I think our pal meant is that we get traditionally most of our calories from carbs or fat. Any excess protein will be broken down into energy.

I'm pretty sure all foods are broken down into energy, carb, fat or protein. A calorie is, after all, a unit of energy. How your body treats these different macronutrients is an entirely different matter, but I'm pretty sure it's all broken down into energy in some form.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The problem with protein is once you consume more protein than your fat your protein turns into glucose, I would try to up your intake ( are you hungry? Or doing this because of your calorie goals?) by having something with more fat. Ie, omelette with cheese.

We need at least an equal amount of fat compared to protein or else the protein turns into a carb?

I eat 170ish g of protein daily. I eat 80ish g of fat daily. You're telling me that 90g of my protein actually becomes glucose?

What I think our pal meant is that we get traditionally most of our calories from carbs or fat. Any excess protein will be broken down into energy.

I get *all* of my calories from carbs, fat, and protein. Any excess calories will be stored as fat or muscle. Any deficit in calories will be taken from existing fat or muscle.

TL;DR - What she said still doesn't make sense even with you clarification.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Why is a trainer giving nutritional advice anyway? Trainers are not trained in nutrition.

Yes, because some random person on the Internet is more credible...
    If you say so. Personally, i'd rather get nutritional info from doctors, nutritionists, nutritional scientists, and personal experimentation. But, if you'd rather trust randos on the net, be my guest.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQezvDt5z_qLZVYjbZsntlsHy2AcbA7zRid4Lht2Uo_vxoC9v4Ybw
    No, i understood it. But it was a stupid comment, it required a stupid reply.
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options

I'm pretty sure all foods are broken down into energy, carb, fat or protein. A calorie is, after all, a unit of energy. How your body treats these different macronutrients is an entirely different matter, but I'm pretty sure it's all broken down into energy in some form.

Galatea-Stone, you are absolutely right! All these macros have calories (4 for carbs and protein) and 9 for fat. And yes they are processed differently. Still proteins are primarily broken down into amino acids and should there be a shortage of carbs and fat they would provide energy. And should they be in excess they would be turned into glucose and stored as fat (*)
    Fats provide more than half of the body's energy needs and carbs can only be stored in small quantities (liver) so it is a ready to use energy. Furthermore, they play an important role for specific brain cells.

Any excess energy from one or another is synonym of excess fat. Excess fat is just stored energy after all :)

I trust we are all on the same page.

ETA: (*)
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be listening to your trainer... What nutrition degree does he/she have? If the answer is none and you want nutritional guidance seek out a registered dietitian.

I tend to agree with this one. So many trainers these days think they know best.. but I find its a bit iffy.

BUT to answer your question - steak or salmon is the way to go. Protein and Fat = yum! Shrimp and chicken are good too but they might take longer to get to 500 cals
  • rivenator84
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I listen to my trainer because he is super ripped (my goal) so I assume he know at least a little more than me! I ended up eating another serving of dinner and blowing my carb count out of the water. Womp Womp Womp.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Meat! Low carb, high flavor and satiety.