Steamed about Healthy Choice Steamers

Options
jmill434
jmill434 Posts: 25 Member
I eat a lot of these meals at work and I've noticed that the meals have been reduced in serving size from an avg. of 292g to approximately 269g on a lot of the meals, yet the price remains the same. Doesn't seem like much but it's noticeable to me when I'm staring at the bowl. Now none of the entries in the database are correct. It's all about profit margins I guess, but I'm steamed about it.

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Grocery prices are rising.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's like that with pretty much all products. I didn't even realize tuna cans were smaller until someone pointed it out to me (used to be 6oz, now 5oz). Ice cream's another good examples. The standard container was called a half gallon (2 quarts) the whole time I was growing up but now that same size is only 1.5 quarts and the prices are the same if not much higher.

If you read old recipes that specify container sizes, you really start to notice the difference. And either the prices stay the same or they go up slightly.
  • ghafer
    ghafer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    common practice among food suppliers. Dry mixes did this some time back, example: dry boxed caked mixes reduced the amount in them by a few ounces - can't remember how much, but I remember as I was reading it in the news forum how it would also throw off any recipes that called for a 'box of cake mix'. Didn't change the size of the packaging, otherwise the consumer would 'think' they were getting less for their money.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice that! Grrr!! I mostly eat left overs for lunch, but I keep HC Cafe Steamers on hand for when I run out of left overs. I also have Ziplock Zip n Steam bags and I microwave an extra serving of veggies (usually broccolli or zucchini, b/c they go well with a lot of the steamers). The extra serving of veggies really helps to bulk up the meal. (And there is always plenty of sauce in those to coat my veggies).
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    common enough in the food world. Consumer Reports uses the last page of their magazine to highlight some marketing inconsistencies- usually the most entertaining page of the magazine.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Walmart is a good one for selling smaller containers of things, and calling it a "rollback" besides.
  • Charlito29
    Charlito29 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    GOOD IDEA!
  • Charlito29
    Charlito29 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice that! Grrr!! I mostly eat left overs for lunch, but I keep HC Cafe Steamers on hand for when I run out of left overs. I also have Ziplock Zip n Steam bags and I microwave an extra serving of veggies (usually broccolli or zucchini, b/c they go well with a lot of the steamers). The extra serving of veggies really helps to bulk up the meal. (And there is always plenty of sauce in those to coat my veggies).

GOOD IDEA!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    There has been many marketing studies about this. People are more likely to stop buying a product when the price increases even if the size stays the same. However, if the size decreases but the price stays the same, they will continue to buy. Who really knows why, but it is what it is. So companies will try to reduce size before they increase price.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Usually because we don't feel we have a choice. If I still want tuna, I have to buy the smaller size despite the price.
    There has been many marketing studies about this. People are more likely to stop buying a product when the price increases even if the size stays the same. However, if the size decreases but the price stays the same, they will continue to buy. Who really knows why, but it is what it is. So companies will try to reduce size before they increase price.