I've turned orange

Options

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You should probably see your doctor and have your liver enzymes checked. It could be a sign of something more serious.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Willy Wonka called. You're late for work again!
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know someone who years ago really got into eating mandarins the whole day long. He did turn orange. No joke
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind looking like I have a tan. I'm currently rockin' the Casper the Ghost look.

nothing wrong with that either .. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Thanks for the laugh.

oompa-loompa-gif-o.gif
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This is actually a quite well known phenomenon. You'll be fine - google what veggies are high in beta carotene and eat less of those and more of the others. And watch your macros for a balanced diet. :smile:
  • ghafer
    ghafer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have had friends (master degree registered nurses) of mine that were perfectly healthy, quite active..they always ate food rich in beta carotene, and yes at times were very orange. No problem. But as always, be sure that a physcian is supervising your overall healthcare and that you relate any concerns to that person.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did that. I was eating around 0.5-1kg of raw carrots a day as a snack, though. Which is a lot to eat raw. I've never had the same problem when eating that amount cooked.

If you're eating a lot of these raw, I'd dial back that amount. Try cooking them more and get a little more variety in your diet. There's a website/poster somewhere regarding eating the rainbow, which gives you a broader spectrum of micronutrients.

My 'tan' faded within a month of cutting down on the raw carrots and I've never had it back.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    It has to do with the beta carotene in veggies (what makes tomatoes red and carrots orange). Either you are getting too much or are not processing it appropriately. Since beta carotene is processed in the liver, this might be a problem, more likely you just need to dial back the amount of red/orange veggies you eat a little. The following are some peer reviewed info from the NIH.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/999.html

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have seen it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind looking like I have a tan. I'm currently rockin' the Casper the Ghost look.

A tan shouldn't be orange...
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi there, someone said it is a precursor of vitamin A overdose and looking in your diary you take cod liver oil which is v high in vitamin A so you might want to get yourself checked out or ask your dr about it. It doesn't look like you eat loads of beta carotene so it might be something else.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hi there, someone said it is a precursor of vitamin A overdose and looking in your diary you take cod liver oil which is v high in vitamin A so you might want to get yourself checked out or ask your dr about it. It doesn't look like you eat loads of beta carotene so it might be something else.

That's a good check. Yes, immediately stop the cod liver oil and see your doctor. CLO is the first cause of Vit A overdosing.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Are the whites of your eyes affected? If so you should check with doctor that it's not jaundice - although unlikely.

I would have thought one would have to consume stuff in vast quantities to get such an effect.

^^^^ this

OP please see a doctor and check it's not something like jaundice.

yes you can turn orange from too much carotine but you have to eat ridiculous amounts of the stuff for that to happen. This one guy ate nothing but carrots and it happened to him.

also just read the comments about vitamin A poisioning and cod liver oil.... definitely see a doctor.

ETA: I just looked up the symptoms of vitamin A toxicity and yellow colouration of the skin is a symptom. If it is this, it's from the cod liver oil or some other animal source of vitamin A. beta carotine doesn't cause vitamin A toxicity as the body regulates how much beta carotine is converted to the active form of vitamin A.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

**snort LOL**
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    *sings*
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I totally saw this on an episode of Scrubs.

Yes, Id suggest going to the doctor just to make sure, and then vary your diet a bit.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this happening when people drink a lot of carrot juice.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    It's not harmful to turn orange because of eating veggies, but it sure looks strange.

do i detect some Oompa Loompa shaming??? :angry:

willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-1971.jpg
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's probably carotenemia, which is harmless. If you had jaundice it would show up as a yellow tinge under your tongue and in the whites of your eyes in addition to your skin being yellow.

Another fun fact about vegetables making you change colors is beeturia. Juice or eat an entire beet and chances are you are going to pee orange/red later that day or the next day.