Feel like giving up

Options
2»

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I think many of us feel like saying screw it because it's the easiet thing to do. Falling back into old habits is typical for many people on a weight loss journey. It happens and having good friends to motivate you during these times is priceless. When I feel like you do, I make a point to log into the site and scroll my profile. I see my friends who have gotten up early in the morning and completed their workouts. They kill it! It's the same after work when all I want to do is go home and get lazy. After seeing them, I shake off those feelings and get to work. As far as food is concerned, I eat in moderation. The only foods I don't eat are the foods I don't care to eat.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Almost a month in and only been successful about 50 percent of the time.

I happen to be the most negative guy on the planet. But, I read this.
    I have been successful about 50 percent of the time.

So, you're batting .500. Google that.... " No one has ever hit .500 for an entire season "

Fix whatever you're screwing up, and carry on.

Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.
    Yogi Berra
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I am also struggling with "giving up"! I have always eaten healthy, been active and have never really been considered over weight but I have also wanted to lose about 5 pounds. It doesn't sound like much but it just isn't happening! I very rarely even eat my total amount of calories allotted to me each day. I got on the scales this morning and I have actually gained weight!!! I've cut back on my calories and increased my workouts only to gain weight. What is the point?

1. Have you properly calculated your BMR and TDEE?
    2. Are you eating enough to lose and not in starvation mode?
    3. Have you consider doing strength training since you only have 5lbs. to lose?
  • Day58
    Day58 Posts: 113
    Options
    Almost a month in and only been successful about 50 percent of the time.

I happen to be the most negative guy on the planet. But, I read this.
    I have been successful about 50 percent of the time.

So, you're batting .500. Google that.... " No one has ever hit .500 for an entire season "

Fix whatever you're screwing up, and carry on.

Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.
    Yogi Berra

I totally love this :smile:
  • Day58
    Day58 Posts: 113
    Options
    Tough love ahead…

It all boils down to one question really, Do you really want to lose weight?
    That’s really the only question here, if you REALLY want to make that happen then you can do it, if you’re not serious about it all of the “I’m failing” posts in the world won’t change the outcome.
    You want it or you don’t, it’s as simple as that.
    When you feel like you’re failing you probably are, you need to ask yourself why and the answer needs to be an honest one, no BS, no drama, just why?
    Be truthful with your answer as the only person who knows what the answer is, is you.
    Good luck.

Yes, definitely something I need to think about. I do want to be here you are right! thanks
  • Naedantz
    Naedantz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think we all have felt like, "What's the point" at some time or another. When I have those days, I have to remind myself why I am doing it... i.e. health, family, quality of life, etc. and then I do what I call a "RESET" I don't think about what I didn't do or haven't done, I just look forward at what I can do next. Sometimes when we hit that point or reach a plateau, we have to tweak our goals, make some adjustments and keep it moving. What ever you do, DON'T GIVE UP! I have been 10lbs away from my goal for 1 year and I refuse to give up. I will get there some day.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It's hard for everyone in the beginning. You have to get used to logging and choosing the right things to fit in. I can only tell you to stick with it because it gets easier--almost second nature after a while, and the rewards are awesome. When you have a bad day read the threads and you'll always find someone else that's going through it too. It helped alot when I started, and you'll learn alot. Best wishes.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    haven't read other replies but I've BTDT. I'm slowly learning more tricks to get out of that space and the bad eating days are happening a little less often.

This is my process when I feel like that (and we all eat for different reasons so might not apply) My head is my biggest problem so anyway...

What is my problem really? 90% of the time it isn't the food/diet. It is something else and I want to eat to make myself feel better.

Is there anything I can do about my problem? half the time not really so I talk myself through the feeling. Feelings are not facts. They come and they will go. They do not always require action. blah blah blah. Sometimes there really is something to be done and I do that instead of eat.

What can I do to help myself if eating for comfort or self care is not an option? This is where I sometimes get stuck but I"m working on it. Food is like a hug isn't it? So when I deny myself that all kinds of feelings rush in. I need to replace it. Do you have anything that might work? A friend to call? A place to go? A thing to read? An activity?
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    532b95880cf2a55d6da79648-610xh_zpsaa774cea.jpg
  • equestrian_girl
    Options
    When I'm having a bad meltdown I have a new rule where I wait like 45 minutes and if I feel more crazy I just give in to the temptation. You have to take a step back and think, "okay, how often do I feel this desperate for junk food? Maybe once a week, or once every two weeks?" I no longer plan cheat meals or cheat days because I know there will be unplanned ones haha

I have had days where my caloric intake is like 4000 because I wanted McDonalds or Fajitas or whatever, but they are so rare that it really doesn't matter!! I used to eat anything I wanted every single day! Now I just eat anything I want on the weekends, which means I am good 5 out of 7 days, which is a 71% change in behaviour. I have lost 12 pounds thinking this way since september. This kind of math is what prevents me from quitting :)