Fitbit

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some opinions on the fitbit. I've read up on the flex, one and zip. I cant wear the flex during the day due to restrictions in work and although the zip would be perfect for me, I like that the one also has the sleep analysis mode on it.

Are these something you would recommend?
I run one or twice a week (5 - 10k) and cycle 40km once a week but I use the app strava for runs and cycles, so I am looking for something that will track my fitness classes - I do them twice a week, it could be trx, ketlebells, weights etc.

Or would you recommend something totally different?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    I have the One and I like it, but I kinda wish I would have gotten a Polar.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    I have the One and I love it. I don't use it for sleep tracking but I wanted it because it counts stairs as well as steps. It really makes you want to get up and move around.
  • meaganmna
    meaganmna Posts: 24
    I have the Fitbit One (I don't think the Zip monitors sleep, but check on this). I love the One - especially the sleep tracking and the step counting. It motivates me to walk more. However, I also have a Garmin Forerunner 210 with a heart rate monitor strap, and that's the best thing for workouts and fitness classes. I'm a triathlete, so I use it for all of my training and then any other workouts. I still wear the One, but I mainly use it for steps and active minutes. I log my activities from my Garmin report.
  • edtechseth
    edtechseth Posts: 4 Member
    I have a Fitbit and it is good for things like walking and running, however you might be better off with a heart rate monitor given the weights, kettlebells, classes, etc.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    My office just presented me with a Fitbit Flex. It is really motivating to see how many steps you have taken. I also discovered that I am sleeping pretty well through the night. I don't know how exact the readings are but the band helps me keep my mind focused and getting up and moving.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    I have the One and I really like it!!! It challenges me to move more at work.

I also have a Polar HRM to track my fitness and the Fitbit only counts steps. It does not monitor your heart rate so doing cycling and weights will not be tracked by your FitBit.
  • seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    I have the fitbit flex and I love it. I don't tend to use it for sleep mode very much. I'm not sure how accurate it is. I would go with the one if you are wanting it for sleep and your runs.
  • Trisha_Williams
    Trisha_Williams Posts: 33 Member
    i had the fitbit flex, i thought it kept me motivated but twice i had to take it back to the shop
    because all of a sudden they wouldn't sink with my computer, although i was given new ones both times, third time i asked for my money back. but i must say i do miss it.
  • phalanxsender
    phalanxsender Posts: 1 Member
    If you are restricted from using the Flex at work because of the Bluetooth, then take a look at the Jawbone UP (not the 24). It doesn't sync via Bluetooth. You plug it into the your phone's headphone jack and the data is transferred that way.
  • msartishia
    msartishia Posts: 123 Member
    I have the the One and I love it. I work at a prison so i can get through security with no problem. It has the sleep function, which I dont use right now given im expecting and I know I wake up alot at night. But I love it for exercise, and steps. I also have the polar which I got off amazon.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    I have a FitBit One and love it. I've been using it since November, and it has helped me increase my activity. I don't use it to track sleep mostly just my steps and daily activity. I find that I walk and take the stairs because I can see an impact. For example if I go to the mall and walk around a lot, I don't log that as exercise because it doesn't have a consistent pace and there is a lot of stopping and starting, but the FitBit will capture that and give me credit for it.

I only have positive adjustments enabled in MFP. So when it syncs, there is a calculation where MFP looks at the TDEE it things I will burn for the day (sedentary + exercise) and the TDEE that FitBit estimates for the day. If the FitBit estimate is higher, then I get a positive adjustment for my calorie goals.

I have found for walking the calorie calculations from the FitBit are very close to those from my HRM.
  • hallc121
    hallc121 Posts: 10 Member
    I have the flex, but after a year it no longer holds a charge which is frustrating. I lost a "one" and went to the flex to make sure I always had it, but after spening so much I was disapointed that it only worked for a year.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    You'd want to manually enter your fitness classes if you get a fitbit because the steps taken in that time frame likely wouldn't be an accurate represntation of the actual activity (think cycling...the fitbit would probably log steps but it woudn't really be right). When you log other activities with the fitbit, you are asked for the start and end time of exercise, rather than just minutes of activity. The activity you log overides the steps taken in the time frame you input, so you'd want to keep a good eye on the clock for those start and end times. This is how I understand it anyway.

I love my fitbit because I feel like I get a much better idea of how active I actually am during the day and how much I should eat to maintain that activity level. Manual entry isn't a big deal, but if you really want to the best info personalized to you, you may want a heart rate monitor. I pretty much just walk for exercise so the fitbit is great for me.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Piggybacking on the OP's question...

Jawbone or Fitbit ?

I want one of these but still can't decide, leaning towards the Jawbone, my uses will be as follows; I won't be running/jogging but mostly walking and normal daily activities, stairs is a possibility, bicycling definitely and I'd love something to monitor sleep habits.

So those of you who are educated in these which would serve me the best?
  • askewcr
    askewcr Posts: 364 Member
    I have the fitbit one and love it. It has motivated me to get off my but and move. I had no idea of how many steps I take daily and am quite aware now. I love the tracking of steps and sleep as well. It's a great investment.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    I also have the FitBit One. I am tempted to get a heart rate monitor though for activities like lifting and yoga.
  • Scallyboo
    Scallyboo Posts: 126 Member
    Wow thanks everyone for all the info.
    So am I right in saying the fitbit is not going to track my weights/kettlebells workouts so I really need a HRM?

Also whats the difference between an expensive HRM and one I can get for €25 in Argos?

If my budget is approx €100 - whats my best option?

Thanks again :)
  • pbberson
    pbberson Posts: 3 Member
    So you log all your activities on the fitbit? What about your foods? If you log this all on Fitbit what is the advantage to continuing with MFP?
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Look at the Garmin Vivofit, it is also a HRM as well as a fitness tracker. It doesn't sync with MFP yet, but its only a matter of time as it hasn't been on the market long.
    I have a Flex and like the motivational stimulus it gives to get off my butt and walk around.
  • I have a fitbit and also do cycling. I enabled the negative calorie adjustment in my fitness pal and also log under cardiovascular activity my spinning activity. To my dismay, once i enabled the negative adjustment, and started to also enter my spinning classes, would reduce the amount of caloric intake!. My expectation was that it would actually give me some credit! What am i missing here?