Share your failures

Options
ezloshead
ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
We all love success stories, but sometimes we need to remember that, every now and then, all of us SUCK. The journey to health is never without a pot hole or a detour, and I think it's important to take a break from comparing ourselves to the great things others have done and know that we are all just human.

So I'll start. I've always nomed more in the evening, but I wanted to spread out my calories into a lot of mini meals 'cuz someone on the internet said it was good. So I go all day feeling like I'm starving because I never got full on something, decided to go to bed early to sleep off the empty feeling and saw a five layer dip sitting on the counter. I tore that thing up so bad it looked like it had been attacked by wolves. I was ASHAMED. 600 calories in 15 minutes. Ugh.

Replies

• ezloshead
    Options
    I've been reading about this intermittent fasting thing, and it sounds like it was made for people like me.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    We all love success stories, but sometimes we need to remember that, every now and then, all of us SUCK. The journey to health is never without a pot hole or a detour, and I think it's important to take a break from comparing ourselves to the great things others have done and know that we are all just human.

So I'll start. I've always nomed more in the evening, but I wanted to spread out my calories into a lot of mini meals 'cuz someone on the internet said it was good. So I go all day feeling like I'm starving because I never got full on something, decided to go to bed early to sleep off the empty feeling and saw a five layer dip sitting on the counter. I tore that thing up so bad it looked like it had been attacked by wolves. I was ASHAMED. 600 calories in 15 minutes. Ugh.

It doesn't matter what time of the day you eat in regards to hitting your daily calorie intake. If you feel hungry on a night then save the bulk of your calories for then. Don't go to bed hungry & try filling up on protein to stay fuller longer.

Don't beat yourself up over the dip it happens. Maybe just concentrate on looking at if you are eating enough cals a day. You shouldn't be "starving hungry".
  • SuperSammi22
    SuperSammi22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Lol. TODAY. I was doing really well, but between class and work, I was raging and decided to take out my anger on a foot long BLT from Subway. I showed that thing who was boss. Now, the rage is gone and I am regretting consuming the majority of my calories of bacon/ranch deliciousness.
  • ezloshead
    Options

It doesn't matter what time of the day you eat in regards to hitting your daily calorie intake. If you feel hungry on a night then save the bulk of your calories for then. Don't go to bed hungry & try filling up on protein to stay fuller longer.

Don't beat yourself up over the dip it happens. Maybe just concentrate on looking at if you are eating enough cals a day. You shouldn't be "starving hungry".
    That's what I usually do, and it's been great! I won't change something if it's working anymore.
  • ezloshead
    Options
    Lol. TODAY. I was doing really well, but between class and work, I was raging and decided to take out my anger on a foot long BLT from Subway. I showed that thing who was boss. Now, the rage is gone and I am regretting consuming the majority of my calories of bacon/ranch deliciousness.
    Bacon anything is a weakness for me. Even in desserts.
  • everforever8
    everforever8 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I guess it's not a small failure, but a combination of small failures that lead to a BIG one.

I lost almost 100 pounds and over the course of a year, I've gained all but about 40 pounds back. I'm picking myself up TODAY because I tracked my intake yesterday just to see what i was eating and HOLY CRAP no wonder why I've gained weight in spite of the fact that I do exercise....I'm sad and angry yet hopeful.
  • kbradford26
    Options
    I think when we fail we learn, and I learned A LOT from my biggest failure in recent years:

A year and a half ago, I used MyFitnessPal and had lost 30lbs (and counting) in just a few months. Felt great, felt healthy: then I met a guy. I fell in love with him and off the wagon. He loved pizza and wings, so I ended up eating like him. I started smoking again, because he did. I basically gained back almost all of it. Last summer, he cheated on me and left me for someone else, out of the blue. After my weight dipped a bit from the sheer stress of it all, I ended up gaining it all back and then some. I felt horrible emotionally and physically, and I didn't care.

Now, I'm taking control back from him, and trying to remember that next time I fall in love, it doesn't have to be at the expense of my own health and happiness. <3
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I was my heaviest at 240 pounds. I had started MFP (AGAIN) and I was watching carefully what I ate and my (now ex)hubby bought all the groceries at the time, so we had almost no healthy food in the house(but he kept telling me to try an lose weight because I was heavier than he would like me to be). He bought a pound of bacon. The good kind. Thick and hearty and I thought, one piece. Then I thought, no, two pieces. Next thing I knew I ate the WHOLE POUND in less than an hour by MYSELF. I hated myself so much for it. But my (now former) brother-in-law pulled me out of my misery and got me into Aiki for a bit and I went to work waiting tables and I lost 50 pounds.

I came back to MFP at 220 lbs after my divorce(sitting at 211 atm) and whenever I feel like a failure for eating a cookie(oatmeal w/raisins only 90 cals), I remember that any failure I make will never be as bad as a POUND of bacon in less than an hour.
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had lost 167lb over the course of 18 months, and was doing amazingly well (South Beach diet, and then WW) but then got made redundant from my job, got a little bit depressed, got a really rubbish self-employed contract with the new owner of the business I used to work for and became demotivated rather quickly. Between June last year and March this I gained 39lb of my weight loss back, and then got gallstones. I haven't ever tracked what I was eating when I was made redundant (in this economy loss of job in the UK is a nightmare because even graduate starting salaries aren't enough to live on even excluding luxuries) but I have no doubt it would have been horrific.

I am being incredibly careful and look upon the months when I was losing as the point I need to return to. I am not going to forget everything that happened between June 13 and March 14, I am going to learn from it and prevent myself (somehow) from doing it all over again.

The journey is just as important as the destination, and this time the journey is from A 2 B without any detours (been taking far too many of them).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I think when we fail we learn, and I learned A LOT from my biggest failure in recent years:

A year and a half ago, I used MyFitnessPal and had lost 30lbs (and counting) in just a few months. Felt great, felt healthy: then I met a guy. I fell in love with him and off the wagon. He loved pizza and wings, so I ended up eating like him. I started smoking again, because he did. I basically gained back almost all of it. Last summer, he cheated on me and left me for someone else, out of the blue. After my weight dipped a bit from the sheer stress of it all, I ended up gaining it all back and then some. I felt horrible emotionally and physically, and I didn't care.

Now, I'm taking control back from him, and trying to remember that next time I fall in love, it doesn't have to be at the expense of my own health and happiness. <3

That is so true, something we seem to forget very easily. At least now you have the experience to go with the next time you fall in love.
  • kbradford26
    Options
    I had lost 167lb over the course of 18 months, and was doing amazingly well (South Beach diet, and then WW) but then got made redundant from my job, got a little bit depressed, got a really rubbish self-employed contract with the new owner of the business I used to work for and became demotivated rather quickly. Between June last year and March this I gained 39lb of my weight loss back, and then got gallstones. I haven't ever tracked what I was eating when I was made redundant (in this economy loss of job in the UK is a nightmare because even graduate starting salaries aren't enough to live on even excluding luxuries) but I have no doubt it would have been horrific.

I am being incredibly careful and look upon the months when I was losing as the point I need to return to. I am not going to forget everything that happened between June 13 and March 14, I am going to learn from it and prevent myself (somehow) from doing it all over again.

The journey is just as important as the destination, and this time the journey is from A 2 B without any detours (been taking far too many of them).

Good for you for losing such a significant amount! Even though you've gained some back, you should be very proud of yourself. I can relate to stress and depression being linked directly to my weight. One of my goals as I eat better and exercise more is to also address the emotional issues that made me gain all of the weight to begin with. Dealing with that is by FAR the toughest part. You're so right: the journey is more important than the destination.

Good luck on your journey, and I hope this year turns around for you (and I'm so sorry you've been having a tough time)
  • ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those giant cookie cakes last week as a treat for my family. I ended up eating a couple slices a day until the whole thing was gone. Doesn't sound like much, but it was an extra 400 calories a day for a week. Yikes! I will not be buying another one any time soon.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Been losing since August. My graph has a clear inflection point at Christmas where my loss rate leveled and then resumed in late January. Considering the challenges of holiday feasting maybe it wasn't a total fail. I do seem to have minor binge attack every 10 days or so, usually after hitting a new low--just a way to reward and release some tension I guess.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    One year ago, I was 145 pounds. Tuesday I went to the doctor and they told me I was now 156. It was then that I knew I needed to take charge of my body once again.
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was my heaviest at 240 pounds. I had started MFP (AGAIN) and I was watching carefully what I ate and my (now ex)hubby bought all the groceries at the time, so we had almost no healthy food in the house(but he kept telling me to try an lose weight because I was heavier than he would like me to be). He bought a pound of bacon. The good kind. Thick and hearty and I thought, one piece. Then I thought, no, two pieces. Next thing I knew I ate the WHOLE POUND in less than an hour by MYSELF. I hated myself so much for it. But my (now former) brother-in-law pulled me out of my misery and got me into Aiki for a bit and I went to work waiting tables and I lost 50 pounds.

I came back to MFP at 220 lbs after my divorce(sitting at 211 atm) and whenever I feel like a failure for eating a cookie(oatmeal w/raisins only 90 cals), I remember that any failure I make will never be as bad as a POUND of bacon in less than an hour.

Very well said!!
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those giant cookie cakes last week as a treat for my family. I ended up eating a couple slices a day until the whole thing was gone. Doesn't sound like much, but it was an extra 400 calories a day for a week. Yikes! I will not be buying another one any time soon.

Here's what we do. Went to Costco and purchased 6 giant carrot cake cupcakes. Came home and froze 4 of them. They are still in the freezer. When I won my last Dietbet, I ate one as a reward and my hubby ate one. Next Dietbet weigh in is April 10th and I will win and when I do, I get another cup cake. Keeping that type of thing frozen works for us.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    At Christmas time I indulged in too many pieces of my mom's peanut butter fudge...also in December, too many pieces of homemade caramel and See's nut chews...every afternoon at work I would battle myself not to have any, but almost every day I had 1-2 and occasionally 3 pieces. That's still not a crazy amount of calories, sugar, or fat...kept it within my macros most days but I still feel it was a slight fail because it was like FIVE DAYS A WEEK, seriously. I started feeling like 2-3 pm meant "time for delicious indulgent chocolate or caramel" and that to me is not a good habit to get into. I prefer to really savor my indulgences.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I suppose the only thing I would consider a "failure" is when I lost roughly 120 lbs and regained most of it. But I didn't know the first thing about why I lost the weight, or what led to me being fat in the first place. I've spent a lot of time reflecting on this, which has led to much better outcomes this time.
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I was really bad about logging my food--I'd do it intermittently or not at all and wouldn't really bother calculating my calorie intake. I ended up gaining about a pound back from my Monday weigh-in and had to work my butt off just to get a net loss of half a pound for the week (my normal loss is more like 2-3 pounds a week since I'm still in the fairly early stages of losing). Good reminder that a cheat meal/day is just that for a reason, and not an invitation to make it a cheat week.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My only failures are when I quit in 2011 and again 2012.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!