When did you start losing inches??

Options
I've noticed people in my feed saying stuff like "lost 2 pounds and 3 inches off my waist this week".... I have lost 7 pounds and close to no inches...:-/

I know everyone is different but I'm just curious how long it took people to notice a physical change.

SW204
CW197

Thanks,
Sam (feel free to add me!)

Replies

• sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple months to notice a drop in my waistline. Like you said, everybody loses differently. I was losing fat in my face and chest before my rear and waist.
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ bump ^^^^
  • raholden88
    Options
    Well, for me, everything started going from the thigh and hip area... I didn't notice much waist wise for a good month once my pants started getting looser and I noticed I need to go to the next belt loop.

Everyone loses it in different areas at different times like you said. Be patient! You'll get there!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I've never tracked measurements, but I didn't really need to replace any of my clothes until I had lost about 35 lbs. After I got to that point I seemed to drop sizes quickly. I went from Old Navy (I know brands can vary greatly) pant sizes 16 to 2.

Height 5'5"
    SW 206.8
    GW 132.4
    CW 128.0
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    This is different for different people because it depends on a lot of factors. Your weight and body fat %, your calorie deficit, your workouts, etc etc.
  • Kymwho
    Kymwho Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    For me the waist & hip area. It took 2 months and now my pants are baggy in the waist and hips! Yay!!
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    About 6 weeks in. I had lost 11 lbs. Then, one could tell.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I noticed a change in my natural waist within the first month.... but haven't had a loss there in a while... I only see a difference in my hips every few months- I think the first loss was at about the 1.5mo mark. I carry most of my weight in my midsection so I don't really see any loss anywhere else (arms, legs, etc).

Hang in there! Sometimes you'll see nothing then BAM! you'll drop an inch or 2 in what seems like overnight.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Took me months. Just be patient, do it right and trust the process. It will come.
  • louisianaguy11
    Options
    People lose fat in different places. I lost 6 pounds so far, But I am wearing cloths that I haven't in a while and shirts fit better. I noticed my face got thinner and my chest is getting leaner. I see the least amount of change around my waist. For me that will be the last area to lose. Regardless of which area you starting losing in first, you will see a change in the way you feel and how your cloths fits. Just be patient and keep up the good work and you will lose inches!

58038495.png
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't keep track of my measurements, but I've been at this for 90 days & I lost inches in my hips & maybe butt almost immediately. I only know that to be true because I have clothes that fit over my hips/butt now that didn't used to, like my NorthFace jacket & some shirts.

ETA: I've lost 15-16lbs but haven't gone down any clothing sizes yet. I think it will be awhile for me.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    4 weeks into it and I have lost 16 lbs but have not moved onto the next belt notch, which I find surprising. My clothes fit much better and I think I can tell a difference around my mid section looking in the mirror but nobody has commented yet.
  • eatspopcorn
    eatspopcorn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is actually one of the main reasons I have never really succeeded at prior weight loss programs. It takes a long time for me to see a physical change, and I've always gotten frustrated thinking I wasn't making progress. I'm talking like 30-40# before I go down a size in clothing.

Right now I'm about 2 months in and almost 15# down and my clothes are a little looser, but nowhere near a new size. I carry a lot of weight in my belly, butt and thighs but tend to lose weight pretty evenly all over which is why it takes so long for me to see a change.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Within four weeks, but I wasn't very big to start with and was only holding fat around the belly. I still lost it from arms, legs and chest first though.
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I lose weight, my waist goes really quickly to the extent that my friends, family and myself notice without me having to measure, or bring up the subject etc. but I rarely lose anything on my thighs/hips/arms - if I do, it's 1/2 an inch when I measure every few months or so. That being said, I didn't measure in the early days and I haven't lost loads recently plus those areas are typically hard for women to lose fat from.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I think my first 5-7 lbs was all water weight. When I was bigger I was very bloat-y. Now that I'm 12 lbs down, I've lost quite a few inches because of first losing the excess water, and then losing fat. If you're not losing inches after your first 10 lbs, start incorporating some weights into your routine. I use dumbbells (10 lbs - 12 lbs) and do squats, lunches and arm presses until I'm sweaty and feel tired.

Just be patient and stick with it. Some weeks I'll lose zero pounds but I'll be 1" smaller, and some weeks I'll lose over a pound and my waist will be an inch bigger! What matters is the overall losses, and you can only see that over a long amount of time.
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've heard that one clothing size is about a 30 lb. range.
    Keep on working! :-)
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I've heard that one clothing size is about a 30 lb. range.
    Keep on working! :-)

That sound about right. I lost 30 lbs about 10 years ago and went from a 38 waist to a 36 waist but they were tight. I was quickly back to a 38 in a few months and until I started my program a month ago 40 waist was tight.
  • annasr08
    annasr08 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 18 days in and I have lost 5 pounds. I had lost 5 more before starting to log everything every day. No inches:( My co-workers say they can see a difference in my face though.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have lost just under 40 lbs and lost 8 inches off my waist in the last 8 months .. and 4 in the first month alone (and I only lost 7lbs at that point). So I don't think there is a general rule that works for everyone. But a reasonable calorie deficit will burn that fat, never a bad thing.