What do you use in place of syrup on your french toast?!

Options

Replies

• downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sugar free syrup made with splenda. Taste just as good but has much lower calories! I just recently found it myself.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Make your own fruit puree to pour over it. It'll up the fiber content and it's natural and healthy.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I would replace the french toast with tofu.

Oh wait... nevermind...
  • SkierElle
    Options
    gosh, I love french toast. Apple butter and /or peanut butter is really good on it! I also have pumpkin butter - yum!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I grab some organic frozen berries, microwave them for a minute and smush to make a hot berry compote, then grill up some banana slices and then sprinkle everything with cinnamon YUM!
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    use REAL maple syrup - 1 tablespoon has 52 calories, it has some good nutrients in it, and once you get into the real thing, you will never want to eat any of those fake colored sugar-syrups! Plus, a tablespoon may feel like enough when you have the real thing.:smile:
  • bamac11
    Options
    low fat whipped cream in a can
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    , I always ask for Cary's Sugar-Free Syrup. Only 30 calories I think... Maybe it was 15... For 1/4 cup. Tastes better than regular syrup in my opinion.

Me too!!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Okay now I want french toast!!!! Yum Yum. About 2 weeks made with french bread and cinnamon!! Yummmy!!
  • anaaho
    anaaho Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    baked apples and cinnamon, sugar free syrup, or the fat free lo-cal redi whip are my favorites!
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i just use regular syrup; i only use a Tbsp, though. Why deprive what you like? For me, French toast and waffles are a treat, since i seldom have time to make them. So when i do have them, i add the syrup.
    Although, i suppose for me, it is hardly cutting back on the syrup, because i was never wild about it anyway, and always only used about a Tbsp just enough to say it is there.
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I still use syrup, but instead I put it in a dipping bowl and just dip my french toast into it.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I use Maple Grove Sugar-Free syrup. Veeeerrry low in calories and no sugar.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    use REAL maple syrup - 1 tablespoon has 52 calories, it has some good nutrients in it, and once you get into the real thing, you will never want to eat any of those fake colored sugar-syrups! Plus, a tablespoon may feel like enough when you have the real thing.:smile:

I am with you! I don't want to eat artificial crap - I'd rather have a small amount of the real thing. I also make blueberry sauce for french toast. It is pretty high in sugar although I don't fill cup completely but it is full of blueberries which are super healthy and we pick organic ones in the summer to freeze for winter. I will go publish recipe it is called "Susan's Blueberry Sauce"
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This fall I made some apple butter. All that's in it is apples and spices (although the store bought brands are usually full of sugar as well). It's a lot thicker than apple sauce but not as thick as syrup. That is really good on pancakes or french toast.

Oooh that sounds fabulous! I receive a TON (well not litterally, but a lot) of apples from my sister-in-law every year from her tree and I'm always looking for different ways to use them!

Do you have a recipe for this apple butter? I'd like to try to make it!
  • Siy26
    Siy26 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :happy: Hi there!!! Actually I'm one of the sweet lovers!!! I can tell you I do wish to have a french toast but I don't. I have a goal and I think you can just add some organic honey. It taste very good. I get organic food in Whole Foods. If you have a place like that close to you, It's better to go food shopping there and will see more results in your calorie counter. Good luck!!!
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Make your own fruit puree to pour over it. It'll up the fiber content and it's natural and healthy.

Probably a dumb question... but how do you make this fruit puree? Do you add anything to the fruit when you puree it?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Probably a dumb question... but how do you make this fruit puree? Do you add anything to the fruit when you puree it?

Nope...never a dumb question. I just puree fruits that have a high liquid content already (Melons, strawberries, frozen blueberries). If you were to choose somthing like bananas...they would puree but it would be much more like a spread...but that would probably be really tasty as well.
    I also don't eat traditional french toast, lol. No eggs for me.
    If anyone doesn't eat eggs...here's a good recipe:

2 cups vanilla nondairy milk
    4 to 5 tablespoons flour
    3 teaspoons vegan sugar
    dash cinnamon
    4 bread slices
    nonstick spray
    powdered sugar, to taste

Directions:

1. In a bowl, mix together nondairy milk, flour, sugar, and cinnamon to form a batter.

2. Dip bread in batter and fry in lightly greased pan until golden brown.

3. Serve sprinkled with vegan powdered sugar.

Makes: 4 servings, Preparation time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: 10 minutes
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Canned peaches (in juice) on top (This is how my mom always served french toast, so syrup was a weird condiment that my husband introduced. Pancakes got concord grape jam and a fried egg.)

I now add a tablespoon of syrup to the egg/milk/vanilla/cinnamon I soak the bread in, then cook it on the griddle, then serve it covered in fruit (either heated blueberries, or sliced bananas, or peaches....strawberries if they're in season.)
  • heatherno
    Options
    We love applesauce on our french toast! Even my kids ask for applesauce...