diabetes

Options
I was just diagnosed this week with diabetes. My doctor said to continue on the path I am on right now and it can be controlled by my diet and exercise. It is not extremely high, but nonetheless, it's still "diabetes".

My question is, I am so confused by the amount of carbohydrates that a diabetic should consume. I understand the difference between good and bad carbs, but really have no how much of carbs I should consume.

I guess I'm just feeling overwhelmed. I spent four weeks just trying to learn to eat healthy again and it was working. Now I feel like I've been thrown a loop and need to readjust.

Any advice or suggestions would help. Thanks.

Replies

• HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Enlighten us on good and bad carbs.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
  • HerpDerp745
    Options

This is an article detailing glycemic index of foods. Can you point to where it details the difference between carbs?
  • BigGuy47
    Options
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

This is an article detailing glycemic index of foods. Can you point to where it details the difference between carbs?

Are you really trying to argue with diabetics about how different carbs affect their sugar levels?
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    Are you really trying to argue with diabetics about how different carbs affect their sugar levels?

Where did I argue?
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    OK, first--don't live by this diagnosis! Think of this way (it sounds corny, but it really helped me!!!): You are A PERSON living with diabetes, not a diabetic!
    There is no quick fix, the link below was wonderful and will have very helpful advice. One thing I've learned is that you will have to find out what foods spike your blood sugar (I hope you are checking it. Did the doctor recommend this?). Carbs in general doesn't effect me as much, but refined foods and good 'ol candy will do it in a skinny minute!
    I also found out that exercise is a HUGE factor for me. I have to move--walking, ZUMBA, strength training--you name it will help keep it lower.
    I have to take meds but I am hoping that at my appointment in a couple of weeks will allow me to go off of one or two of them.
    You can do this. Be honest with your food diary and make notes of spikes or dips you see with your exercise.
    Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I would like to know the SAME things.
  • BigGuy47
    Options
    To the OP, there's a good group here on MFP for people with diabetes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1789-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Your doctor should have told you how many carbs you are to eat per meal in order to bring down your blood sugar. If the doctor didn't share this information with you I would call them to find out.
  • jcubedatund
    jcubedatund Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A lot of clinics will often refer you to a nutritionist, dietician, or diabetes educator. you can ask about those services.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Your doctor should have told you how many carbs you are to eat per meal in order to bring down your blood sugar. If the doctor didn't share this information with you I would call them to find out.

^ This

When my husband was diagnosed, he and I went to a diabetic diet class, ran by a registered dietitian. For him, it was recommended to eat protein and/or fats with his carbs, and try not to go over 50g of carbs in one sitting. There was *no* mention of "good" or "bad" carbs. In fact, she said for diabetics, only liquid carbs should be avoided, since they hit your blood stream. But even then, it was ok to drink juice in small doses, so long as he has something with it, like cheese. She said that's why cheese and fruit are a good combo.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    OP: I'm a type I diabetic, so my needs will be slightly different from yours, but hopefully I can help a bit.

As a Type II diabetic, you have a lot of different stuff going on- probably insulin resistance, more than one phase of insulin production, etc. You don't necessarily need to understand all of that, but if you want to, I like the classic Dr. Bernstein "Diabetes Solution" book. I personally think his diet is too extreme for me, but the book really helped me to understand the processes of diabetes.

There isn't really a good/bad here, it's about how different foods affect your blood glucose. You probably do know more than you think. Focus on eating whole, fibrous foods. Most veggies will be great. If you aren't sure, eat, and test your glucose 30 min, 1 hr, 2 hrs after. keeping a detailed log goes a long way in figuring out how food affect YOU. I do think the glycemic index is helpful, because it will give you a good idea of how foods may affect your blood glucose. But other things will affect it too. Strength training can have a huge positive affect on insulin resistance, so if you aren't doing any, start! ;)

I would also suggest getting on to a diabetic specific forum - TuDiabetes and diabetesforum.com have a lot of long-term diabetics who are great at giving advice. You will get no snark on any of those message boards.

When I was diagnosed, I was really disheartened, but a great diabetes educator said to me 'This can either be the monkey on your back, or in your pocket. This can be an opportunity for you to be the healthiest person you know." You have a very compelling reason to take charge of your health and educate yourself. Keep up the good work. You got this!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I also found out that exercise is a HUGE factor for me. I have to move--walking, ZUMBA, strength training--you name it will help keep it lower.

Very true! In fact, my husband's doctor said that he has seen people reverse Type 2 with daily exercise and proper diet.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic, I don't eat bread, white rice, white potatoes or pasta in order to keep my blood sugar under control. I use bean sprouts instead of pasta, corn tortillas as my pizza base and 1/3 a cup of brown rice. Watermelon spikes my blood sugar, but cantaloupe doesn't. I keep my carbs at 15 for snacks and no more than 30 at a meal. I know more than that makes my blood sugar high. I eat lots of veggies, corn and peas are not veggies for me, meat, fish more often, and chicken. Portion control, is also a must as too much of anything can make blood sugar high.
    Exercise is a must!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Un-called for, unnecessary and just plain rude. The OP came here for help, not this.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed this week with diabetes. My doctor said to continue on the path I am on right now and it can be controlled by my diet and exercise. It is not extremely high, but nonetheless, it's still "diabetes".

My question is, I am so confused by the amount of carbohydrates that a diabetic should consume. I understand the difference between good and bad carbs, but really have no how much of carbs I should consume.

I guess I'm just feeling overwhelmed. I spent four weeks just trying to learn to eat healthy again and it was working. Now I feel like I've been thrown a loop and need to readjust.

Any advice or suggestions would help. Thanks.

Get a blood sugar monitor. Your insurance should pay for one (you will need a prescription from your Doctor). If not, get one off Amazon. The meter can be almost free, but the strips can be costly, although I found that Amazon doesn't work out to much more than my insurance charges me anyway. Use it on waking (fasting levels) and two hours after the first bite of a meal (2 h post-prandial).

Ask your Doctor for a consult with a Nutritionalist who specializes in diabetes care. My State had a free education series for newly diagnosed (pre)diabetics where they taught us about medicines, nutrition, exercise etc.

Avoid sweetened foods, especially drinks like soda, fruit juice and sweet tea. The sugar hits your blood stream immediately.

You will have to find your own level with just how many carbs you can eat, so use the meter to check. I find mine does OK with moderate carbs (a single serving of pasta with a meal is OK). Other people find they need to go low carb to keep their sugar in check. However many carbs you eat, try to spread them out during the day, so you are getting some regularly, rather than saving them up for one meal.

They say avoid white rice, pasta, bread as much as possible - eat brown/whole grain instead. It has a lower GI and absorbs slower. Make sure you get enough fiber - even though it is a carb, it is indigestible and slows down the absorption of the simpler sugars. So add fresh veggies to your diet. Watch the salt, as high blood pressure can complicate high blood sugar levels even more.

Eat protein at every meal. It likewise slows down absorption of the carbs.

Exercise. Whether it be walking, running, swimming, weight training... just do it. Aim for 5 x 30 sessions per week.

Lose weight if you need to. Although for me, I had just lost 40-50 lb and hit goal weight when I was diagnosed.

And breathe! It will be OK!
  • staceyloukelly
    Options
    I was diagnosed 6 weeks ago and told to keep eating starch carbs with every meal and prescribed Metformin 2000mg's, i took it and was really bad on it (gastro side effects) and started researching myself about low carb, i stopped eating added sugar, rice, pasta potatoes and bread although i have re-added brown bread once a day every so often as it doesn't spike me. My bloods are now at none diabetic levels permanently (this could change obviously but for now they are consistently non diabetic levels at fasting and 2 hours after food) i exercise daily and i have no more than 130g's of carbs a day although i usually have around 70-85g's.

I stopped taking my metformin a week ago and have no intentions of going back on it unless i have to, my nurse reduced me to 500mg's 2 weeks ago but i stopped taking it because of the side effects, i have kept on top of my bloods and feel i have good control and hopefully will have my diagnosis reversed eventually, i will always have insulin resistance as i have PCOS but i now know how to keep it at bay.

I'm obviously very new to this and know about honeymoon phases of controlling bloods etc so i'm not cocky about how well i am doing and prepared for a fall but i am not prepared to fail at my attempts to reverse my diabetes without a good fight. Good luck to you and research research and research some more :)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Un-called for, unnecessary and just plain rude. The OP came here for help, not this.

So it's rude to ask someone to explain their post?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

So it's rude to ask someone to explain their post?
    Please go re-read the first two posts, i hope you'll understand. If you still don't get it after that, i can't help you.