Bicep Tendonitis and Weight Lifting - Stronglifrts 5x5

Options
2»

Replies

• michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    when you do bench are you in more of a T shape or do your elbows come closer to your body more like a W? Most people incorrectly bench with their elbows all the way out to the sides, when proper form keeps them about 45 degrees out from your side. Tons of people develop shoulder and chest problems from incorrect bench form.
    That was my problem, my shoulders were flared out too much and I didn't even realize it (no ceiling mirrors in my gym) and it wasn't something I was concentrating on much as I was doing SL 5x5 and still progressing fairly easily, I don't know what my 1RM would have actaully been at the time it felt like I had another 30-50lbs to add before stalling and deloading.
  • michaelmadonna
    Options
    Read this: http://spectrumfitness.blogspot.com/2008/06/anterior-shoulder-pain-when-benching.html

It addresses a few scenarios that could cause this pain, including bicep issues, with accessory exercises to fix the problem.

Thank you, this was a very inforrmative article.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    did you ever go to the Doctor?

Personally i don't feel as though tendonitis is forever. I used to suffer a bout of it almost annually when i swam in highschool. I just worked through it... well some times it would be so bad that there really wasn't any working through it. For some reason, if i arm wrestle its garunteed to bring it on.

but it always goes away, and for awhile, perhaps whoever said that really meant that its always around the corner or something.

It feels like a throbing, inflamed, weakness throughout whatever limb. what you described didn't necessiarly sound like tendonitis to me.

Anyway, i had/have a forearm injury that i thought might be tendonitis, then again it didnt really feel like it. figured it would go away... deleted this exercise or that (the list kept growing). finally stopped going to the gym... still took about a month for me to go to the dr and discover it was a torn muscle that i was just making worse and worse.
  • michaelmadonna
    Options
    did you ever go to the Doctor?

Personally i don't feel as though tendonitis is forever. I used to suffer a bout of it almost annually when i swam in highschool. I just worked through it... well some times it would be so bad that there really wasn't any working through it. For some reason, if i arm wrestle its garunteed to bring it on.

but it always goes away, and for awhile, perhaps whoever said that really meant that its always around the corner or something.

It feels like a throbing, inflamed, weakness throughout whatever limb. what you described didn't necessiarly sound like tendonitis to me.

Anyway, i had/have a forearm injury that i thought might be tendonitis, then again it didnt really feel like it. figured it would go away... deleted this exercise or that (the list kept growing). finally stopped going to the gym... still took about a month for me to go to the dr and discover it was a torn muscle that i was just making worse and worse.
    Actually I never got to a doctor, I probably should have but initially at least I'm sure i would have been prescribed conservative treatment, rest, stretching, mobility, advil, ice - which I did anyway and it seems to have gotten a lot better. I still have a couple of months with the routine I'm doing now which doesn't have me lifting as heavy as much of a progressive increase workout to workout. I'm planning on moving to Madcow 5x5 or Wendler's 5/3/1 in June which will be a good 8 months since I initially hurt it. I'll see then if it comes back and if so I'll probably have to have ti checked out.
  • justinhatchett
    Options
    Glad you found the problem! Hope it corrected and improved everything!