Lost 80 lbs and never counted calories!

Options
12346»

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Did people used to eat intuitively?

I assumed people originally used to eat whatever was there to maintain themselves till the next meal came along?

Is it not more that just due to the surplus and abundance of food these days that people now tend to over eat? In addition to the majority of processed foods are generally very high in calories and low in nutritional content?
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it is true that counting all the time isn't the way to live. BUT some people just aren't good at going by eye and will either eat too much to too little. I personally enjoy eating until i'm satisfied... not stuffed but where i know i feel full. Now, that is never the amount of calories i should eat in a day! I also am not good (was not good) at knowing what is in what foods or how bad certain foods are compared to others. Counting i believe is the stepping stone to learning healthier choices and to learn your bodies ques at what is enough to eat vs what feels like enough to eat. This site and counting have helped me greatly. I've learned a lot and i can see more and more just how much i should be eating each day (visually.) When i get down to my goal weight i will run through maintenance to see how much i should be visually feeling and how it makes me feel and then eventually i'll stop counting when i feel that i can comfortably make the right choices for each meal. It's all to ones own preference. Helps some but not others! Congrats on your loss by the way!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Wait? Joined in December and lost 80 lbs but your ticker says 31? April Fools?

Counting calories helps teach people what healthy portion sizes are. A lot of times folks have a tough time losing weight until they get a scale and discover just how much they've been over estimating. You don't count calories and have lost weight? Good for you. Most people need to go through the learning experience though.
    You said what I was going to say. I am going to keep counting even after I am done losing, for at least a few years, so I know I really have the portion thing down, although I am pretty good at eyeballing it now, I still measure and weigh.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it is true that counting all the time isn't the way to live. Counting i believe is the stepping stone to learning healthier choices and to learn your bodies ques at what is enough to eat vs what feels like enough to eat. This site and counting have helped me greatly. I've learned a lot and i can see more and more just how much i should be eating each day (visually.) When i get down to my goal weight i will run through maintenance to see how much i should be visually feeling and how it makes me feel and then eventually i'll stop counting when i feel that i can comfortably make the right choices for each meal. It's all to ones own preference. Helps some but not others! Congrats on your loss by the way!

Thank you for sharing your response :) I had to modify your quote because what you said encompasses the many responses I've made to people in this thread. Counting is good to help you get started and make progress, however, once you know the right choices to make, you should be able to gauge the amounts of food on your plate to sustain or lose the weight. It is a preferential option to weight loss or gain, and it just so happens to work for myself and many others. Gaining weight is not a problem for most of us lol. We all know how to gain weight, if we came from an overweight stage. It doesn't take calorie counting to do that. So why can't we learn how to lose or maintain without it as well?
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    OP posts on a board for people that use a calorie counting app, boasting about never having counted calories.

-insert popcorn.gif-

A lot of people use the app to keep track of their macronutrient ratios, too, btw.

could he not just be giving his opinion? Didnt come across as "boasting" to me!!!