Women...What is the perfect way to be purposed to?

Options

Replies

• MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    There is NO perfect anything.. who cares HOW it happens ... the big question is... do you love him, do you want to be in a legally binding situation with this person? LOL.

How it happens does matter. Getting engaged is a big deal. It would be nice to know that the person I'm choosing to commit my life to has put some thought into the big day. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate, necessarily, just thoughtful and something she'll remember fondly.

Birthdays are kinda similar. I would go all out for his birthdays... planning parties and gifts that I knew he would enjoy... pizza, beer, friends, power tools for gifts. I don't recall him ever planning a birthday for me. I usually ended up spending my birthday crying because I was living several hundred miles away from family and friends, got no party, and it wasn't even mentioned. After a few years of this, I finally confronted him and asked why we never did anything for my birthday, even after I made such a big deal about his birthdays. He said, "You don't like to celebrate your birthday, so I didn't want to remind you." WTF? I never said that. Even after that, he still didn't do anything for my birthday. I had to plan my 30th, so something would actually get done. It was my 2nd best birthday party ever, but the birthday girl (or guy) shouldn't have to plan her (or his) own party.

Just be thoughtful and take the other person's feelings/personality into consideration when planning something like a proposal or whatever you're doing for them.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I never gave it any thought. My husband and I have been married for 13 years and we just decided it's what we wanted to do. We were on the couch having a conversation about our relationship. Then we both came to the conclusion we wanted to spend our lives with each other. Next day we went ring shopping. No stress, no fuss and I have no regrets.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd rather spend the money on something more interesting than a ring & a wedding.
  • jlubbe68
    jlubbe68 Posts: 5
    Options
    My husband made a book of places we went together and wrote a story. It was the absolutely most romantic thing! I thought it was just a really cool Christmas gift that arrived late but he proposed on New Year's Eve in our new house together.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    aside from the misspelling and dangit they don't let you edit topics!! Anywho.....in my opinion women either like over the top romantic or simplicity.

Example of over the top romantic: The most amazing/fascinating place you can find, have a dinner for two ready and waiting

Example of simplicity: Take her to the place where you had your first date.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I made arrangements with a friend of my mom's who is a hot air balloon pilot to get a ride for my wife and I during the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta (I had to crew for him for a month as payment). She thought it was for my birthday...because it was on my birthday...but I proposed to her as we soared over the desert in a hot air balloon with just the most incredible view of the Sandia Mountains in the backdrop.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Depends on the personality of the women. Some women like big scenes in front of a lot of people (jumbo-tron at a baseball game). I would have rather an intimate moment just the two of us. Maybe a vacation to a tropical island then propose while taking a walk on the beach....

My husband was *so* close. He had the vacation right, then picked a dumb time to actually do the proposal, an atv tour with a lot of people around while stopped at a Mayan fertility temple (and I wasn't even thinking about kids yet) when I was all salty and sweaty. We had gone on a walk on the beach the night before! Oh and also, he never asked "will you marry me" he said "the reason I planned this vacation was to ask you to marry me". So then I waited.... And eventually said "yes" even though he never asked. But then he told the people we were with that we just got engaged and it was weird and awkward.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    He was down on one knee in his mothers kitchen, while a good majority of his giant Italian family looked on.

yeah no pressure!

Lucky for him I already knew I'd say yes when he did propose :laugh:
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Don't know and honestly don't care anymore.

I ❤️ you and your name
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'd totally be the girl that loved the Jumbotron at the Red Sox proposal, complete with Kiss-Cam.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    On a porpoise with a purpose.

Seriously, though, with as little fanfare as possible. We don't want a big wedding (I don't really want one at all, actually) and I'm just not the kind of person who wants to be in the spotlight much. Very private, very simple. In the kitchen while I'm making dinner or on the way home from work or something would be fine. I love my boyfriend a lot and we've talked a lot about marriage, and we both feel really strongly that we want to be married but we don't want all the circus surrounding it and the pressures from family and friends.

The only thing I insist on is that the ring is lab-made and reasonably inexpensive. I understand that it's very hard to buy anything that doesn't hurt people in developing countries but such a big, symbolic item is where I'm drawing my line in the sand. So it has to lab-created for that reason, and it has to cost less than our frequent ski weekends because I hate bridezilla culture and the competition and that feeling of "oh, how much did he think you were worth?" It's just not my scene. I don't buy into the wedding industrial complex.

ETA: I probably would skip the ring, the wedding, and the marriage all together if I were a bit less worried about what people think about me, but I'm not really a strong enough person to want to spend my life saying "No, no ring, no, no wedding, no, not married, but yes this is my partner and you should treat him exactly as if we were in fact married." Huge hassle to be doing that for the rest of my life (without even thinking about the legal issues that could arise.)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Opps...
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    My husband surprised me with a helicopter flight which landed at the top of the mountain in my home town. Landed in a spot that I don't think many have ever been to as you'd have to hike and climb a fair way. We got out, he proposed then we had a scenic flight over home town and surrounds. Was amazing.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    `ummm either while you are playing the song you wrote about me on stage ooooorr some other private cute way that is whatever t hey make up and would probably be amazing
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    On a porpoise with a purpose.

Seriously, though, with as little fanfare as possible. We don't want a big wedding (I don't really want one at all, actually) and I'm just not the kind of person who wants to be in the spotlight much. Very private, very simple. In the kitchen while I'm making dinner or on the way home from work or something would be fine. I love my boyfriend a lot and we've talked a lot about marriage, and we both feel really strongly that we want to be married but we don't want all the circus surrounding it and the pressures from family and friends.

The only thing I insist on is that the ring is lab-made and reasonably inexpensive. I understand that it's very hard to buy anything that doesn't hurt people in developing countries but such a big, symbolic item is where I'm drawing my line in the sand. So it has to lab-created for that reason, and it has to cost less than our frequent ski weekends because I hate bridezilla culture and the competition and that feeling of "oh, how much did he think you were worth?" It's just not my scene. I don't buy into the wedding industrial complex.

ETA: I probably would skip the ring, the wedding, and the marriage all together if I were a bit less worried about what people think about me, but I'm not really a strong enough person to want to spend my life saying "No, no ring, no, no wedding, no, not married, but yes this is my partner and you should treat him exactly as if we were in fact married." Huge hassle to be doing that for the rest of my life (without even thinking about the legal issues that could arise.)

I agree on so much of the above!!! I got married to my husband at Garden of the Gods, on a hiking trail - just the two of us and no officiant required in the state of Colorado (filled out paperwork at the courthouse afterward). My ring is sterling silver and a cushion-cut green amethyst purchased on etsy for little money, his ring is titanium and was under twenty bucks.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My husband proposed to me at the center point of the golden gate bridge at sunset. Then we danced along the bridge. I think whatever is meaningful to the two of you and leaves a life long warm memory.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    No ring at proposal. Later his mother gave him her mother's ring. It's beautiful, but made for a bigger finger and can't be made small enough to fit me because of the way the setting is at the top.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    No down on one knee. He had lifted me up in his arms and then proposed (we were already dancing when he proposed).
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Just don't "loose" the ring!

I see what you did there! :glasses: :blushing: