Beginners question ... WALK AT HOME

Options
Good morning everyone ! :)
I came across the walk at home program and having some knees issues and not being able to do a lot of exercises besides pool and walking I thought I may give this a go but my question is, you guys that did this as exercise how were you logging your walk at home time ? As plain walking ? Cardio ?
Sorry if my question seems to be a little stupid but I'm really not into exercising and I'm trying to change that ... one question at a time ! LOL :)

Thanks !
Jo

Replies

• tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been logging it as aerobics, low impact.. Which works out the same calorie burn as walking 4mph. I have knee issues as well and the walk at home dvd's have really been wonderful for me. I hope they work as well for you.
  • tattsb4u
    tattsb4u Posts: 30
    Options
    I have a bad knee as well....I may need to check these videos out. :smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not sure about all of them but at least the Leslie Sansome videos give you an idea of what pace you're going (3mph, 4mph, etc) so you could log it as walking at those paces. I find it burns about the same calories but sometimes less so be careful with eating all of the earned calories back.
  • Damensha
    Damensha Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just tried Leslie Sansone's 1 mile walk for the first time yesterday and Loved it! According to her, we did a 15 min mile so that would equate to 4mph.

Good luck with the new routine!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I love these videos, especially on bad hip days. I usally log it as low impact aerobics for however much time. Mostly since the pace varies, with each mile. I don't like saying that I walked a 4 mph pace the entire time, when the warm up and cool down are significantly lower than that, and for awhile she is going at 5mph. And on a really bad hip day, I know I'm a bit slower, but going harder on my arms. I'm probably way overthinking though
  • Day58
    Day58 Posts: 113
    Options
    I either log it low impact cardio if I am sweaty and work hard or if I take it easy I just log as walking slow pace
  • thejocool
    thejocool Posts: 46
    Options
    A HUGE thanks to all of you for your precious answers !
    I have call my store to have a DVD put on hold for me and I will go and pick it up after work !
    I will let you know how it went and if I liked it ! :D
  • juniormints74
    juniormints74 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've found this useful when logging the Walk at Home DVD's: http://www.walkathome.com/exercise/calorie-burn-per-mile/
  • melissarmonroe
    melissarmonroe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I log it as low impact aerobics b/c it's not just walking. You will find out that she has at least 4 other moves she incorporates, side steps, front kicks, back kicks, etc. and more depending on which video you got. Plus you can increase or decrease the intensity and go at the pace you are comfortable at. I always feel like I got a much better work out with these videos than if I just did a 2 mile walk b/c more muscles are moving with her videos.
  • lisatrish
    lisatrish Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You can find Leslie's walk at home videos on Youtube. I like to use them to help get in my 10k steps a day.
  • thejocool
    thejocool Posts: 46
    Options
    I've found this useful when logging the Walk at Home DVD's: http://www.walkathome.com/exercise/calorie-burn-per-mile/

Sooooo cool ! Thanks !
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I log my walks as cardio. Anything that isn't lifting weight is pretty much cardio. Good luck!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I was originally logging the videos as brisk walking but I had to guess at the pace a lot of the time. I now log in any of her videos as low impact aerobics.